Cambodgian T`s: for Volker, Soren, Martin H.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello ALL!

Here`s the deal peoples.
Accidentally I get 3 tarantula from Cambodgia.
2 specimens of 1 species (Haplopelma): think its a pair, and the other one some female of Chilobrachys species (don`t even have a clue which one)
Here`s in several posts some photos, which maybe can help to limit the choice of species (by the way - id of Genus is by myself - I could be wrong)
Please, for some people here asian gurus, please - Your comments!

P.s.
All spiders alive and well, eats and Chilo already molt.
I` will wait for some new spiders from Cambodgia.

Last edited:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello ALL!

the next of Haplo...

All the best, Mikhail

Last edited:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello ALL!

THe last one.
Now - Your turn.

All the best,
Mikhail

Last edited:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Mikhail,

Welcome to Arachnoboards and thanks so much for sharing those terrific pictures. I can't share any pics of those species - don't have any of those (yet). Did you just reach in there and take her out? Look at the size of those fangs! :eek:

Gorgeous Ts, and thank you for sharing.

---
Wendy
---

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The ones you think look like Haplopelmas look like Ornithoctonus hainana, earlier Selenocosmia hainana. I'm not 100% sure though

Some people think O hainana is a dark form of Haplopelma schmidti.(or is definte now???)

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello ALL!

As I understand this is no O. (selenocosmia) hainana nor H. schmidti due to a range - it`s not Vietnamese species, Cambodgian at all.
:(
But what is it?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
As I understand this is no O. (selenocosmia) hainana nor H. schmidti due to a range - it`s not Vietnamese species, Cambodgian at all.
Hi Mikhail are you sure the specimens were collected in Cambodia or shipped from a dealer/wholesaler in that country, as there is a big trade in these spiders not only as pets but also as parts for medicine (and venom research) all over SE Asia, all said and done the real experts will be touchy about saying anything without making an exam of the animals them self's (or moults) no matter what is pictured :(, as im not an expert i would say that hap does look a lot like a black form H.schmidti, The Chilobrachys could be an C.andersoni race/form again no way to say 100% tho.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW, typical for H. schmidti, O. hainana and a near related H. sp. from Vietnam is a "beard" of white hairs above the cheliceral scopula (between Chelicerae and Femur of Palp), for photos e. g. >>click here<< or >>click here<<. This is not there in the specimen above. Furthermore, these three species have very stout and strong legs – much stronger/thicker than the ones of the species above! And where is the distinct brush of hairs at the outside of the femur of leg I and II which H. schmidti and it's relatives do possess!? ...I love photo ID's especially in public fora where anybody – even he does know anything about the taxonomy of theraphosids – can post his comments! (no personal offend, just my personal opinion!)

happy guessing! =;-)
Martin

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Martin, would the "beard" be apparent on a juvenile H. schmidti? Or does it only appear in adults? Also, do both males and females have it?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Martin!

So, what it can be?
I`m sure this is not schmidti...
can it be H. sp. "longipedum"?
And is it really an Haplopelma - I thought so due to caput definitly presented on both speciments.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
Hello Martin!

So, what it can be?
And is it really an Haplopelma - I thought so due to caput definitly presented on both speciments.
Does not look like "longipedum"....the build and general shape is all wrong and the back legs are not longer and enlarged.

See my comparison pics of sp.Vietnam and sp.longipedum HERE

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm so excited Mikhail, your first picture is of the "mystery" tarantula that I have that was sold to me as a "Cobalt"! Mine has molted once for us also. At first I thought it was a Haplopelma, but the more I studied about it, it became apparent that it is of the Chiliobrachy species. It is very seclusive like a Haplopelma, but none of the attitude. It is very docile, though nervous.Does not try to defend itself at all when we have had to dig it up. So this pet store probably got it from some reptile dealer they trade with and they didn't know what it was or else were just trying to sell it off thinking people don't know any better. To me selling this as a H. lividum, they knew it wasn't one and I don't trust these people anymore (I was sure it wasn't one). I'm just so pleased that you have posted these pictures. They are great looking tarantulas you have there. I'm pretty sure mine is a full size or near full grown female. Just wonder if she will get larger? She is around the same size, or little bigger then the full grown female H. lividum that I have.

Sharon

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Mikhail,

M.F.Bagaturov said:
So, what it can be?
good question! =;-)
...but I hope you don't expect a valid answer in a public forum from these photos only!

M.F.Bagaturov said:
dito

M.F.Bagaturov said:
I don't think so.

M.F.Bagaturov said:
And is it really an Haplopelma
send me a cast skin or a dead specimen and I should be able to tell you if it is a Haplopelma or not.

all the best,
Martin

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
Hello ALL!

Here`s the deal peoples.
Accidentally I get 3 tarantula from Cambodgia.
2 specimens of 1 species (Haplopelma): think its a pair, and the other one some female of Chilobrachys species (don`t even have a clue which one)
Here`s in several posts some photos, which maybe can help to limit the choice of species (by the way - id of Genus is by myself - I could be wrong)
Please, for some people here asian gurus, please - Your comments!

P.s.
All spiders alive and well, eats and Chilo already molt.
I` will wait for some new spiders from Cambodgia.
Hi Mikhail,

because of the fact that this thread is directed also to me, I can tell you, that, if you want a correct identification, you should send skins or dead Material of your cambodia collection to me or Martin. It doesn't make any sense to post the pictures here for an identification, because you CAN'T IDENTIFY THERAPHOSID SPECIES FROM PICTURES!!!

With best regards, Volker