Look What Finally Came Out of Hiding

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, a big colorful suprise!

Does he feed when in the borrow? Any luck making the roaches or crickets walk down to their hell? Does he even have interest?

How many inches of substrate do you give those guys? Use the false bottom setup with gravel too? Much different from the P. Imp's or H. Spinifers?

Cheers

Jon

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes he feeds in his burrow (when he isn't sleeping haha)
I feed it by either just turning loose 3 or 4 crix in with it which will disappear in a few days. I have also set fresh killed crix and grasshopppers at the burrow entrance which it usually gets sometime in the night.
I keep it on 4-6 inches of peat and I have no false bottom set up like I do with my Emps. I keep it dry and provide a water dish. The substrate looks wet in the pic because I spilled the water dish when trying to position the scorp for a foto.

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what species?

Hi,
nice scorp!...

just currious about what species it is.

-trygon

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Trygon said:
Hi,
nice scorp!...

just currious about what species it is.

-trygon
Oh, it is Opistophthalmus wahlbergei (Tri color Burrowing Scorp)
It is about 4.5-5 inches in lenght
I didn't even think to tell what species when I posted it :eek:

Trygon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks

Brian S said:
Oh, it is Opistophthalmus wahlbergei (Tri color Burrowing Scorp)
Thanks... I should have guessed that, but after hours of searching the boards for scorp images i think that they are all starting to get muddled in my brain.

and once again, nice scorpion, I love the red tips.

-trygon

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the purpose of having a false bottom(gravel) and not just substrate?

EDIT: BTW, how much heat/humidity do you use for him?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
azztigma said:
What is the purpose of having a false bottom(gravel) and not just substrate?

EDIT: BTW, how much heat/humidity do you use for him?
The false bottom is usually used on tropical species. You run a tube down to the gravel and pour water down the tube which leaches up into the substrate thus keeping humidity level up.

On this one I keep the temp at around 80-83F. Humidity around 60%

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i remember reading an interesting paper a while back on a sp of scorp(i think it was this one) that had venom that was not lethal, but could result in permanent systemic damage, is this the one, or am i mistaken? i'm pretty sure it was Opistothalmus something...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems like I read that there was 1 of the O species that had fairly hot venom not for sure though. I hear all these pack a pretty good punch. I guess not necessarily life threatening but extremely painful like hitting your finger with a hammer. I sure don't plan on finding out.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man, where are the know-it-alls when you need them? lol :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
John,
According to the book "Scorpions A Pet Owners Manual", Opistophthalmus carnatus is supposed to have strong venom. I don't know how much "strong" is but said regardless of the species a sting will be intensly painful for 48 hours at invenomation site but with no lasting effects. That is the only thing I have found on this subject so far.