Who have the biggest ?......

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.....centipede :D
I was thinking my adult female S.subspinipes very big, she's quite old (when I bought it 8 years ago she was adult), so I measured it (not easy). It measure from head to end of last legs 27cm (10,63in).
It's not big compared with some specimens of S.gigantea I seen at the Myriapod laboratory of the Museum of Paris (the bigger is about 40cm (16in)...), but I think she's quite big even so.
Could you measure your subspinipes or gigantea specimens ? :)
Greetings,
Eric

Last edited:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good idea for a thread, i'll try and measure my S. gigantea later. So the measurement is to be from the start of the head, to the end of the terminal legs? I'll see if i can beat 27 cm ;) If anyone genuinely has claim for a centipede over 30cm, please include a photo with comething in for scale (preferably a ruler).

I'm seriously impresssed with how old your S. subspinipes is Ythier, i always though the max lifespan for scolopendra was in the 5-7 year range, but yours must be much older, as it takes near enough 1-2 years to reach adult size.

Cheers,

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My largest S. gigantea is about 29cm/11.3" long, the second largest is about 25cm/9.8" and the next is my S. gigantea "robusta" which is about 22cm/8.6in" long. I tried to take some photos, but the two gigantea were being very uncooperative, its pretty hard to get a 10" centipede that is getting annoyed to lie in a straight line :rolleyes: Here is a photo of the "robusta" to show the length, and a few feeding photos. This is the first time it has fed in ages, she finally reappeared after molting and it lookin great. I'll try and get photos of the other gigantea soon.

Cheers,

Attachments

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
anyone have a clear tupe of some sort to funnel the pede into ,like they do with snakes?
T

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my sub is arriving today and i've been told its in the 10" range, so i'll be posting up pics plus length as soon as i can:)

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Ythier said:
.....centipede :D
in).
It's not big compared with some specimens of S.gigantea I seen at the Myriapod laboratory of the Museum of Paris (the bigger is about 40cm (16in)...),
Greetings,
Eric
Eric,
I6 freakin inches :eek: You are one of a handful of people who I would believe,telling me this size for a gigantea.How truly awesome.Do they allow you to take pics in the laboratory?If so, I would(and I'm sure the rest of the pede freaks on here) love to see some.

GEORGE

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got twelve inches of furry. Wait we're talking about pedes here. Nevermind, move a long nothing to see here.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i'm always wondering from which starting point people measure their scolopendra. :? Bodylenght without terminal legs or antenna or full size ?
cause i trust Eric 100%, but 40cm bodylenght without terminal leggs :eek:
that's a lot of pede-madnezzzzzzzzz :worship:

above my biggest Scolopendra spec. (Robusta)
and my biggest Gigantea,... both are quite young :}
ruler is 32cm long

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just thought i'd update this thread. My largest S. gigantea reappeared after a couple of months under, and is now pushing the 12" mark (from head to end of terminal legs). Sorry the photo isn't the best, but i'm sure you all know how uncooperative they can be, they really dont seem to want to strech out straight when you want them to.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
danread said:
pushing the 12" mark (from head to end of terminal legs).
Is it standard procedure to include the terminal legs? This seems like cheating to me, sort of like saying your water monitor is 7.5' WITH the tongue. This S. gigantea was somewhere around 11" not including the terminal legs when I sold it (it was 4 years old). There are a few floating around that are bigger, although I don't think I've heard of anything over 13" from anyone I trusted. I was assuming, too, that these measurements didn't include legs.

Steve

Attachments

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
defour said:
Is it standard procedure to include the terminal legs? This seems like cheating to me, sort of like saying your water monitor is 7.5' WITH the tongue.
I don't think there is a standard procedure. As long as you make it clear what it is that you are measuring, it isn't a problem. It's a fairly large estimate when measuring pedes anyway, since there is a good size difference between a pede in a "normal" relaxed position, and a pede that is fully stretched out.

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Holy pedes batman! They eat mice?!?! WOW.
I am a total newb and only keep 2 millipedes but I have reading and learning about all the centipedes and T's and scorps people keep, and I am continually surprised. But I have to say that the pic Dan posted of the pede eating a mouse was truly a shock to me.....I had no idea so color me impressed!!!

Orange_Demon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kasha said:
Holy pedes batman! They eat mice?!?! WOW.
I am a total newb and only keep 2 millipedes but I have reading and learning about all the centipedes and T's and scorps people keep, and I am continually surprised. But I have to say that the pic Dan posted of the pede eating a mouse was truly a shock to me.....I had no idea so color me impressed!!!

hahaha i was thinkin that . milipedes eat mice?!?!? i know nothin about them neither have any as pets (or ever will) just them pictures came as a shock to me

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
Steven:
is that Bob? Say Helllo or me to Bob
uhhh Bob ? :? :? :?
jeeeeeeeez do my hands look that old ? :rolleyes: :p :p ;)

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello steven, I was just wondering if you could repost the pics of your giants on this page because they seems to have expired or something. Thanks. I know you got those huge ones.:)