What we feed our Tarantulas

Feeding options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just curious. I try to mix up the diet on my spiders. I feed crix, grasshoppers and other insects. (BTW, I live where there are no pesticides so that is not an issue with me)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feed almost exclusively crickets. Occasionally I've fed slings fruitflies, and adult Ts superworms or roaches. But, 99% of the time I feed my Ts crickets.

Last edited:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use crix, silkworms, superworms,pinkies and anoles.... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Regards, Mike :worship:

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I feed crickets and mealworms, but I'm not having a lot of luck with the mealworms.. :( Once my roach colony gets going then I'm never feeding crickets again.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Washout said:
I feed crickets and mealworms, but I'm not having a lot of luck with the mealworms.. :( Once my roach colony gets going then I'm never feeding crickets again.
I can't get anything to eat a mealworm myself. I have been looking into a roach colony though. From what I hear they are super easy to raise.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Id like to raise a roach colony, but I dont know if I have enough T's to make it worth the trouble. I have one adult T, three sub Adults, and 2 Juvies.

A.Avic, G.Rosea, B.Vagans, A.Semmani, H.Lividum, B.Vagans, and a B.Smithi.

I also have a Full grown V.Sinigerus, about 20 of her young, and an emperor. I doubt My Horned Frog would be able to eat the roaches.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Id like to raise a roach colony, but I dont know if I have enough T's to make it worth the trouble.
Well, there is this to consider: the roaches are interesting in and of themselves. I've got 50-60 Ts and my single roach bin could easily feed 3X that many, but I wouldn't scale it back because I enjoy keeping the roaches.

Overripe banana? Toss it in the roach colony and watch it pounced on like a capybarra beset by piranha.

Leftover sandwich? Ditto.

Between the roaches and millipedes I don't throw out much around the kitchen :)

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i feed them with crickets only...maybe something else...once in a while.. :D

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had good luck with mealworms. As long as I prekill them so they can't burrow most of my Ts will take them. Other than that I feed roaches and crickets

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been using crickets but now i try to use kingworms pinkes...I want to try roaches someday..

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Crickets, pinkies, fuzzies, super worms for my T's. Roaches eventually if my roach colony ever grows large enough to feed from! I really need more adults.....

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
Crickets, pinkies, fuzzies, super worms for my T's. Roaches eventually if my roach colony ever grows large enough to feed from! I really need more adults.....
I'm just hoping to get lots of nymphs to feed my slings. Right now though they are pretty voracious. I feed 50 small crickets to my group of slings every 2-3 days right now. Well probably 3x that, petco gives you a heck of a lot of crickets when you ask for 50 smalls...

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i only use crickets when i have no other choices since mites seem to be edemic to them. normally its roaches, lizards n snakes.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I mostly use roaches(B dubia) in different sizes, zophobas and sometimes crickets.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mostly crix here but i'm in the process of breeding B. dubias.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i feed mostly crix as i tried mealworms and super worms and they were ignored. could it be an aquired taste? i might try gain now that i have slings. just to see.........

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed crickets, silk worms, the occasional pinky and maggots for the tiniest ones. :drool:

---
Wendy
---