What do you use for a water dish?

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Been reading alot about the importance of a dry substrate and big enough water dish for most species. Had to tweak my husbandry a lil after all that reading. I was just wondering what most of you used for water dishes and why you prefer using them.

Right now I'm using plastic bottles caps of various sizes for my young T's. Once they grow bigger I'm thinking of using those terra-cotta dishes for placing pots in. They come in all sizes too so it would work for even and adult T. blondi. What do you guys think? :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use plastic petri dishes of appropriate sizes. I use them because they work very well, come in large sleeves, and are, um, "free" when you work in a lab ;)

Xanzo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I mist most of my T's they are between 1/4 inch and 2.5 inches with the exception of my 4 inch P murinus, which gets a water dish (and anything else it wants!)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
CM you aren't suggesting we follow your example and help ourselves to some "free" water dishes are you?

:)

i use dishes that you can find in Wendy's for ketchup, they';re a bit bigger than i wanted, but free is free.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
I use plastic petri dishes of appropriate sizes. I use them because they work very well, come in large sleeves, and are, um, "free" when you work in a lab ;)

HEHE.. Me too

but my T's are at work.. so I don't have to remove them from the Lab..

PLUS I use glass..
I put a layer of aquarium pebbles so Crix don't drown..

yeah for work related 'appropriated' stuff..

Actually I'm in the process of turning an old ( trash) drum recorder into an automatic incubator.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bah! You labrats get all the good stuff for free. :p lol :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ash trays also work well.
Especially when your not a Lab rat hehe {D

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm using terra-cotta dishes for placing pots.... they're wide and shallow...
I'm also using Exo Terra water dish...comes with various sizes :D

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Ash trays also work well.
Hmmm. that's a pretty nifty idea. Never thought of it. Are found fairly cheap in dollar stores too. Thanks!

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use those white plastic portion cups. They sell at wal-mart for .50c a piece and are very thick and sturdy. Look in housewares near the glasses and stuff.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i use gatorade caps for all my T's and they seem to like it thus far...but then again ive only had them for a little more than 2 months now

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Ditto on the Petri dishes. Lab-rat status gets you lots of useful things if you keep bugs.

One of the coolest: Parafilm!

Punisher

Arachnopeon
Gatorade caps here too. I drink the stuff anyway, so its like getting the dish for nothing.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bottle caps and el pollo loco salsa cups (I go to the salsa bar and steal a few extra cups)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I get the impression that most people like a really shallow dish. I haven't found that to be necessary, especially since shallow dishes dry out faster. For immatures in the 2"-4" range, I use 2 oz plastic condiment cups ($4 for 200) with a rock for crickets, or 4 oz cups for aboreals. Most of my terrestrials adults have 8 oz deli cups, while my aboreals get 16 oz cups.

For aboreals, I sometimes hot-glue a 4 oz cup in an elevated postition and then use that as a holder for a second cup of water. Puts the bowl up near the T but keeps crickets out (most of the time).

Wade

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use the small plastic containers crystal light servings come in with a stone placed in at an angle so it reaches from the bottom up to the edge. These are probably as deep as they are wide but the stone essentially negates the depth. I "bury" the cup into the peat moss to make the edge level with the surface.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
moricollins said:
CM you aren't suggesting we follow your example and help ourselves to some "free" water dishes are you?

:)

i use dishes that you can find in Wendy's for ketchup, they';re a bit bigger than i wanted, but free is free.

What kind of weird-ass Wendy's do you have over there? Dishes for ketchup?

We might have to stop at one when I am in just to check 'em out.

I use clay potting dishes (glazed), as well as (recently) the lids to Pringles chips.

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rourke said:
Ditto on the Petri dishes. Lab-rat status gets you lots of useful things if you keep bugs.

One of the coolest: Parafilm!

Yes damn you.
You were going to send me some!
You might want to explain what it is though and how it works for the unwashed masses.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
The best "water dishes" that I have found are the caps from Nesquik flavored milk bottles.

My Ts prefer chocolate :)

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cut the bottoms of of disposable cups with a straight edge and then use the rest of the cup sideways as a retreat. Not for me but for the t's.

Scott