Spiderling Housing Idea????

flamingo-kid1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone thought of, or used, the little plasic Betta tanks they sell at the pet store? They are vented and almost like a Kritter Keeper, except smaller.

The double one has a removable midsection plastic pane that woudl keep a spider in the same housing after it grows.

Whatcha think??

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Should work, I've read here where others have done similar things with those tanks. Just need to keep in mind the size spiderling you're talking about, for reasons of the venting holes being the size they are.

And welcome to the boards by the way!

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use beta tanks all the time...I have a whole bunch of them...I use a soldering iron to make ventilation holes and use 3m clear plastic clips and rubber bands to secure the lids....here is just one of mine....

Regards, Mike :worship:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks and they work really well...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's actually a really awesome idea. Never thought about it. And they look real great for displays too.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Thanks and they work really well...
Where do you get them from and how much do they cost? I can only find beta kits that cost like $40usd..

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
How big are the babies? Terestrial perhaps...Someone here used Giant salt or parmesan shakers from walmart..I imagine it would work on a 1/4" to 2" baby...TONS of air holes of course..
T

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't see why they wouldn't work, as long as you make sure whatever you are putting in them can't get out....
Ts can slip through holes that you'd swear were too small for them to get out of, ask my E. rufscens..it will confirm that! :eek:

Nice little sling containers Mike, I love that! :worship:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks , I get them from Walmart...they are around 4 dollars each ( Canadian ) and the 3M clear plastic clips are from Walmart as well...6 for around 2 dollars....they work well for all spiders...arborials,burrowers and terestrials...

Regards, Mike :clap:

flamingo-kid1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Finding the Houses

Washout said:
Where do you get them from and how much do they cost? I can only find beta kits that cost like $40usd..
Walmarta md KMart.. 7 bucks for double and 5 for single!

i am enjoying this thread.. and am glad to see I had a good idea.
I have 18 spiderlings, and they are all doing really well! I bought too many because I thought survival of the fittest, but so far they're all still with me.

flamingo-kid1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GREAT pics!!

Mike H. said:
I use beta tanks all the time...I have a whole bunch of them...I use a soldering iron to make ventilation holes and use 3m clear plastic clips and rubber bands to secure the lids....here is just one of mine....

Regards, Mike :worship:
Great pics!! And what a GREAT idea to put the hooks on.. so far I only have terrestials, in particulat two FAT little Boehmis in Betta tanks who had better moult or pop!

I have 3 arboreals, simple little Pinktoes, in tall baby food jars, but when they get big enough, I'll move them, of course, and I WAS worried about how to keep the lid on! So thanks!

I am also expecting a 1" Avic. Braunhausen this week.. so maybe I'd better get some hooks ASAP!