ID this???

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The spider just molted today... so I manage to take a closer picture of the exuvium... Any idea of the correct species of the spider... :?

Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a very good shot of the eyes/eye pattern. Someone should be able to get it? I don't even have a good starting idea and I have to make dinner, or else I would start looking in the books for you. Did you post pics in an earlier thread (showing the spider generally?) (I've been very busy lately and I think I've missed a lot of thread movement.)

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
That's a very good shot of the eyes/eye pattern. Someone should be able to get it? I don't even have a good starting idea and I have to make dinner, or else I would start looking in the books for you. Did you post pics in an earlier thread (showing the spider generally?) (I've been very busy lately and I think I've missed a lot of thread movement.)
I did post the picture earlier... the picture was so blur...
it was just wild guessing....

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm guessing huntsman I don't know the scientific name.

Haplopelmatic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's kinda hard to get a clear view of the abdomen, but my guess would be a Lycosa spec. Additional pix from other angles would be a great help.

/Bleargh!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In a lycosid, the center top 2 eyes would be much larger, and the bottom row would be more curved. This is based on the drawings in a field guide, so I could be wrong, but the large eyes are a distictive feature of wolf spiders.

The eye arrangement looks like a huntsman to me. Which one, I have no idea, but Heteropoda venatoria is a common, wide spread species from the warmer parts of the world including the southern US. Where was the spider collected?

Wade

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wade said:
In a lycosid, the center top 2 eyes would be much larger, and the bottom row would be more curved. This is based on the drawings in a field guide, so I could be wrong, but the large eyes are a distictive feature of wolf spiders.

The eye arrangement looks like a huntsman to me. Which one, I have no idea, but Heteropoda venatoria is a common, wide spread species from the warmer parts of the world including the southern US. Where was the spider collected?

Wade
The spider was collected in Malaysia...but is there wolf spiders or huntsman species in Malaysia...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are definately huntsman spiders (Family: Sparassidae) in Malaysia, and I'd be surprised if there weren't wolfs as well, but I'm pretty sure yours is not a wolf (Lycosidae).

H. venatoria is "cosmotropical" meaning that it pretty much lives all over the world wherever it's warm enough. I'm assuming it could be in Malaysia, so that species remains a possibility. On the other hand, Malyasia has other huntsmen as well, so it could just as easily be something else. I can't help you much there, hopefully someone here is familliar with the spiders of Malaysia and can help further.

I should also add there's the distict possibility that I'm entirely wrong and it's something else entirely :rolleyes:

Wade

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wade said:
There are definately huntsman spiders (Family: Sparassidae) in Malaysia, and I'd be surprised if there weren't wolfs as well, but I'm pretty sure yours is not a wolf (Lycosidae).

H. venatoria is "cosmotropical" meaning that it pretty much lives all over the world wherever it's warm enough. I'm assuming it could be in Malaysia, so that species remains a possibility. On the other hand, Malyasia has other huntsmen as well, so it could just as easily be something else. I can't help you much there, hopefully someone here is familliar with the spiders of Malaysia and can help further.

I should also add there's the distict possibility that I'm entirely wrong and it's something else entirely :rolleyes:

Wade
Thanks Wade... at least i got a lead... I might be able to get something with your information.... :worship: