Genus Selenotypus

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it was awesome! :eek: looks like a hybrid between c.huahini & e.pachypus..... :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
versus said:
looks like a hybrid between c.huahini & e.pachypus..... :)
Hi,
The genus Selenotypus, along with Coremiocnemis and Lyrognathus has what Pocock believed was a primitive (plesiomorphic) trait in the Selenocosmiinae, the long and hairy legs IV (back legs), similar to the spider you mentioned, E.pachypus. I believe most members of these three genera are spectacularly "hairy", hence the idea behind this appreciation thread. If you have any furry or hairy spider, please post it. Colour means nothing, hair is everything, THE MORE FUR THE BETTER!!

Steve

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont now if this will count .

not any of the above mentioned genus but hairy all the same lol :)

Brachypelma albopilosa.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Selenotypus plumipes POCOCK 1895

Hi,
Another Aussie T shortly on it's way ;)

Adult female:

Adult male:

Cheers,
Steve

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
:clap: The pronounced elongation of the abdomen in these is very interesting. Although selenocosmine theraphosids in general show this tendency, it seems much greater in this spider.

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Michael,

Yes, most of this genus have the elongated abdomens, may have something to do with being an arid region tarantula and needing to maximise on feeding when given the chance.

Here's another one from this genus on it's way soon, Selenotypus sp. "Glenelva":

Cheers,
Steve

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW , those are GORGOUS !!!!
what an attitude as well ....gezzzz , i have yet to own an aussie T , then again i have yet to see an aussie T avalible over here ?:? But i sure would love to own some , thanks for sharing Steve ! :clap: :worship:

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pic's as always Steve

The southern Plumipes form is my Fav T i just love their colors

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Michael,

Yes, most of this genus have the elongated abdomens, may have something to do with being an arid region tarantula and needing to maximise on feeding when given the chance.

Here's another one from this genus on it's way soon, Selenotypus sp. "Glenelva":

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve, is this the glenelva adult female i sent to you like a few months back to breed with a male you have??

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HI Kyle,
No, this one is captive raised ;) Your big female never dropped a sac, moulted out beforehand, which was a shame.

Steve

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
HI Kyle,
No, this one is captive raised ;) Your big female never dropped a sac, moulted out beforehand, which was a shame.

Steve
AHH well no matter mate these things happen lol
If ya like you can keep her for another go i dont mind, your call mate

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too bad finding an Aussie T for sale in the U.S. is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (or is it hay in a needle stack??) :(

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Steve, I was wondering when you eventually get to exporting to the states, if either of those first two Selenotypus sp. will be available? They're the most beautiful shade of tan and I love how hairy they are.

Andrew

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Exports begin very shortly, within a couple of weeks :) The first two pictured will not be exported until later this year, toward December or so. I am working on them though ;) Of the Selenotypus to be exported this time round, you will see S.plumipes southern form (same as the holotype) and Selenotypus sp. "glenelva". These two are fairly closely related, part of the southern complex, there are however characters that define them as separate species.

Cheers,
Steve

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WoW, these are very interesting spiders.
They look so diferent from each other... :eek:

I was trying to choose the one I prefer but I could not, they are all very attractive.

Nice pics also, Steve. :clap:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
S.plumipes, type species for the genus and one of Australia's largest T's.

Steve