Do you use Vermiculite? (Pros and Cons)

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I didn't find any threads dealing with this subject, and wondered what percentage of people in the hobby use Vermiculite...

Do you use Vermiculite in your tanks? Ever had any problems?

I use it in all my tanks (not counting fish), to some extent. Depending on the humidity need of the T/Scorp. Haven't had any problems (knock on wood) that I could attribute to Vermiculite.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use it quite a bit, mostly mixed with peat moss, but in some of my arboreal sling containers, I use it straight. No problems with it on this end. I make sure it's damp when I put it in, so no dust rises from it. I will occasionally mist it, and most of the slings will incorporate it into their webbing.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it is very good substrate !! but some ts dont like it :p

but as a component of substrate i use it allvays

and as Immortal_sin said - for arborals its perfect :p it loock realy nice when they put it on web

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I mix it with the new zoo med bed-a-best...They make a great combo...With the new Zoo Med stuff it breaks down remains and no fungus and the vermiculite holds the moisture well...I use ahout a 50/50 mix...

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
i found 329 pages on "vermiculite as a substrate" using the search.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php?searchid=114015
I found 350 hits mentioning "Vermiculite" somewhere in each thread. While I didn't check all of them, I did check the first few pages of them, and found some like "What substrate do you use?", "What type of substrate for B.smithi?" etc... but nothing dealing only with people's experience with Vermiculite. If there is one somewhere, I apologize. I did try.

Coincidentally...there are no results for the link you posted. Did you post the correct link?

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vermiculite - good substrate in my opinion but I don't use it much with my ground dwellers purly because when it begins to dry out I notice that my T's feet almost sink into it, and I don't like to keep my substrate moist exept with my sling. My Avic has vermiculite and it works for me just fine in that kind of set up.
For Terrestrials/ground T's I prefer coconut fibre.
I've never had a problem with mould, mites etc with vermiculite, however others will have experienced different situations with the substrate so I guess it's up to you what you use :)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have used 100% vermiculite with arboreal Ts with great success in the past. Its an excellent arboreal substrate. For terrestrials I'd go 50% with either peat moss or potting soil.

Perlite (sp?) on the other hand I've heard is NOT good, but I've never tried it thanks to the people on this messageboard.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only time I use it is when I need to keep the substrate moist, i.e. for spiderlings and the handful of spiders that actually need moist substrate. I use peat as a mixer. Dry peat doesn't absorb water well, so mixing it with 25% to 50% vermiculite hastens the process and makes watering much easier. I don't like to use it straight up though, because it offers nothing beyond absorbancy, while peat has some mold (and perhaps even mite) retarding properties.

Wade

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I never use it... I like to give my Ts something that looks and feels more natural.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Perlite (sp?) on the other hand I've heard is NOT good, but I've never tried it thanks to the people on this messageboard.
Same here Prof. Only a few people have told me Perlite was an adequate substitute (I had prior knowledge that most experienced T keepers warn to stay away),when I couldn't get any Vermiculite locally. I just waited until I could get some to change any substrate...

For anyone who might have missed a line or two...

Vermiculite : Good
Perlite : Baad

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perlite is course and hard, like white, lightweight gravel. The little white rock like things you see in some potting soil is perlite. It's texture is the only reason not to use it by itself, but potting soils that have it aren't a problem.

Wade

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its coconut fibre for me and peat sometimes say no to vermiculite :embarrassed: i just do not like it :( i can not put my finger on it lol do what you like or think your ( t. s . ) will be ok on --phil ;)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never -- I dug through my closet and found I have been using Zoo-Med's EcoEarth in the pack of three bricks.

Thought it had been a similar product from T-Rex.