• Dont Know ??

Votes: 27 26.2%

• Total voters

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a question in mind all the time. The question is,

Should i mist, or not?

I hear some people say that misting is kinda useless as it increases the humidity for like 10 ~ 15 minutes only, and furthurmore, it aids in the growth of mould,

but on the other hand, some people say its a must to mist to increase the himudity especially for those species that require high hmidity levels..

The big question is, what do u guys/girls out there think of misting?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I assume the poll relates to adult specimens - and not slings?

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sheri said:
I assume the poll relates to adult specimens - and not slings?
Yes Yes we're talking about ADULTS and not slings.. its a must to mist if it were SLINGS

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also is this a summer or winter question?? I would never mist in the summer, but in the winter my Forced air heat makes the air very dry ( < 20% humidity), so I mist the tropical species a little bit.

/side note
You know your Chaco is a little dry when it frequently tips its waterdish over onto itself... :} A little misting once a week prevented that from happening.

Last edited:

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I treat my T's all different for misting... I mist the avicularias more then the ground dwellers...mostly cause i've never seen my avic drink from the dish, he is always drinking the droplets on the side. i only mist my smithi's tank once every two weeks on the other hand because he shoots urticating hairs like crazy when i do mist... haha... And i dont see how it would mold? i only spray the tank walls, the dirt is kept bone dry....
~Meagan~

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sorry that didnt come through my mind cos i am in Malaysia and is like summer the whole year, so let say its summer... Also, any suggestion on how to increase humidity without misting ?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I can't answer THIS poll .. NOT enough choices..

I live in the North East NY.. practically Montreal
It get's VERY dry up here in the winter months.. Sub 20% RH inside.

Sooo
I mist my H. lividum and occasionally my A. seemani(s) but I only give a water dish to my P murinus(s) my E pachypus and my G. rosea(s)

Misting would DEPEND on the conditions the T is kept in vs. their requirements..

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends on the species.
Air humidity here is usually somewhere around the 40% (in winter may be lower and in summer higher).

Those species who live in rainforests or somewhere, misting is must - not every day of course. For those who lives on drier places - not that important, water dish might be enough.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I voted for yes but the only T I will mist even semi regularly is my Avic huriana, my GBB and occiasionally my PZB. The first two do not have water dishes, and I have no idea if the the Avic will even use one. As for my GBB, I don't have a water dish small enough to fit in it's tank (it's a sling...and you were asking about adults...nevermind that, i guess).

I occasionally mist a portion of the PZB's cage, only becuase her cage is under the majority of the heat lamp I have going for supplemental heat. Heat lamps suck out the humdity, and while I'm not concerned about dehydration, I don't want to see her get stuck in a molt (I am new at this, bear with me. I don't spray her).

It is winter here, and my ambient humdity has dropped like a rock, even with running a humidifer in my T room (which has a ball python on it, so higher ambient humidty is a must).

Sting Crazy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I totally agree with Bark on this one. I use red 25w lightbulbs in a fishtank style lightbar in the winter when its especially cold (like right now). The Ts seem to appreciate the lights, I often find them basking. But the lights have a serious drying effect, so I have to be mindful to keep the water dishes fresh for all the Ts and to mist the tropical species every other day or so.
I've also found that a good way to mist up slings and smaller Ts is to place them on top of the light bar for an hour or so. This produces a fine mist within the deli cup, tupperware or vial.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I mist my enclosures regularly, I also have cut several peices of plexiglass of varying sizes to cover the top of the enclosure to maintain humidty in the enclosure. The different sizes are to accomodate different household temperatures and humidity levels. My hygrometer varies between 55% to 75% humidity with light misting every couple of days. A water dish probably also aids in the humidity levels. I am still experimenting with different sizes of plexi to maintain ideal temp. & humidity levels.

The enclosure covers are currently set for winter months.
A. seemani - 90% of lid area covered
B. smithi - 75% of lid area covered

My "T's" are both terrestrial and this seems to work fine, as neither had any problems moulting with this setup. I would imagine for aboeral "T's" the humidity demands would be higher, therefore more misting, and a more sealed enclosure (less ventilation) to promote humidity.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Misting is waste of time. I mist only sling's enclosures. Adult Ts only have water dish and it is enough.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mist in the winter as well as use a humidifier. It's very, very dry here.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i think its a must...ive gone actually more towards misting than keeping water dishes full all the time i usually only fill the water dishes once or twice a month...all my T's seem to like drinking from the walls when i mist.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
IME misting is only an invitation to mold, fungus, mites, nematodes, etc. Keep in mind your Ts natural habitat, where on earth does mist fall from the sky daily? I'm SURE the are places that have daily mist, but to replicate the environment, you'd have to introduce all of the microorganisms and organisms that consume the above pests.

My slings are kept on damp substrate, a few drops of water keeps it damp enough for them with restricted ventilation. All the rest, with the exception of the moisture dependent blondi et al, are kept bone dry. If a T needs water, it will go to it's water dish and drink.

Misting being a personal decision, I won't try to change anyone's methods, the above is just what I do. I've lost too many Ts to nematodes and don't wish to invite them back!

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Once a week, I heavily mist my adult/large juvenile Avics and Pokies instead of providing them a water dish. I didn't give them a water dish suspended in their corkbark and plastic leaves because it's so difficult to clean. (Avics, especially, are poop machines at spraying the inside of their cages.) I gave up on giving them any substrate since they really didn't seem to care; I've never seen my Avics even touch the substrate. If I go more than two weeks between mistings, I will sometimes see a few of them drinking water droplets. Although this may seem like I'm dessicating them, I've kept some of them like this for almost two years and I've had no problems with molting problems, mites or phorid flies. For my adult terrestrials, I give them the usual water dish but no misting.

Karen N.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Anything I have that's large enough for a water dish (2.5" or larger) is kept bone dry. I've been doing it this way for two years (even my Haplopelmas) with no problems whatsoever.
The humidity in my room is around 40% thanks to my 60 gallon crayfish tank.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
best way is to trye too keep the humidity simular to natural enviroment of the spider we have

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what i would say is that for some t's u dont but for the slings its a must since u cant give them a bowl but for some of the bigger ones if u just have a water bowl they should be good. but see this is one of those topics that could go either way to dont or to a must but i think its in the middle which is what u should have