A Beginners Emperor set up. Testing and learning

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have recently become a new owner for 3 Pandinus Imperators.
I have asked, searched, and learned from many great people that occupy these boards. I first want to thank all of those who have done their best to spread knowledge on how to obtain and care for scorpions.
I decided to begin with Emperors because I am familiar with humidty issue due to ownning a Veiled Chameleon. Otherwise I may have chosen the H.Arizonis. Though I will be getting those next.
Hopefully my experience and experiment will help any beginners who are not familiar with humidty poblems.

Learning from Brian S and others on how they set up their enclosures, I knew I would need a gravel bottom to hold water and help create a gradient moisture for the scorps to burrow to.
The problem I was concerned with was the fact that I would be using a larger container then most others were using. A smaller container would make it easier to clean and change out the substrate more frequently.
Because of this I was worried about mixing the substrate directly on top of the rocks and water. I decided to use something to seperate the two and still give continuos moister through the substrate.
As I understand it, raising Arachnids is still a hobby that has allot to learn, so I decided to try something different that may help the hobby out as far as setting up an enclosure. So this is what I did.
First things first of course... My P.Imperators!

I havent named them and probbaly will not. I let them stay in their container, that they came home in, for a few days to let them absorb my home atmosphere and to see if they would eat. One did. as you see. One was larger and kinda plump. This one did not eat nor move much. The other one did not eat either.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Next I came across an Aquarium for sale with a stand. it was said to be a 29 gal and thats what I think it is. Fish were kept in it so I had to clean it well. Nasty fish. :D
I paid $60 for tank and stand. Here it is...

I bought a bag of small rocks at a petSMart near me. I cleaned them then leveled them across the bottom...

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is where my testing comes in. I bought a sheet of plexiglass at a Home Depot and cut it to fit inside the tank. I drilled many small holes and cut out a circle in the corner to run a clear pipe down to the rocks below. The tube is used in fish tanks to run a filter down into the water I guess. I paid less then $3 for it new at PetSmart. Here it is...

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Next was the substrate that is always in big debate as to what kind to use. I started out trying to find potting soil and even came across some. The guy at the nursery said it had NO Pesticides or fertilizers. I called the company who actually made it and they said IN FACT there were additives in it even though the bag said nothing about it. With not enough clarity on some of these products I decided to take Raze's advice and use Jungle-Mix from PetSmart.
Im glad I did.
I layed down a little bit and then placed my hides in. I did not want any large hides that could collapse ontop of a burrow. Another reason why I decided to use the plexigalss. I couldnt very well place these items on the rock...

Then of course I added in the rest of the bag and even some from another. I wanted to have atleast 6" of substrate for burrowing. Only thing I wasnt sure about doing was wether or not to wet the substrate before putting it in. I think maybe I should have but I wanted to see how well it would moisten up from below and my spraying and wetting from above...

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I poured hot water down the tube and let it fill the bottom up. I then also ran an air tube down behind the clear tube with an air pump at the other end. I hoped this would create enough movement in the water so it would not get stale and promote bacteria. What I like most about the plexiglass set up is that I can use a hand suction pump to suck the water out and pour fresh warm water down there.
I sprayed the top down and even poured water around to let it start soaking. After I was sure the temps were good I introduced the Scorps...

The first two I put in Disapeared in the tree hole before I could even get my camera. Here you can see the last one I put in was headed for the same spot...

The next morning I noticed one had already dug a burrow and was hiden.
I think the other two are still in the tree. I will probably never see them again so all of this was for a pet skull and tree. :D
Actually last night I noticed one out and he was exploring until he saw me.

So tell me what you guys think and please be honest. I am just trying to learn and contribute anything I can.

I would like to hear what some of you think about the plexiglass Idea.
A couple of things im wondering is...
Will this suffeciently let moisture go upwards through the substrate?
Will it create an area that will promote mold and bacteria?

Thanks.

Here is a link where you can see these pics on one page and click to see the original large pics.(very large).
Link

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would get the substrate wet more. it looks as though none of it is wet past the first one inch.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Div1nE said:
i would get the substrate wet more. it looks as though none of it is wet past the first one inch.
I have since soaked the substrate more. I am also debating if I should bring the water level up above the plexiglass. I am sorta taking my time to see how things will go.

I woke up this morning and noticed allot of substrate had been moved around. Inside the tree and inside the skull. They seem to be out and active late at night, although I havent seen them yet. They have burrowed because I cant see them anywhere. I can look down inside the tree from the top and it is easy to see into the skull.

The temps are staying above 70f, and the humidity is staying above 80.
Also I put the top on the tank that was used for the fish. The back part where the filter was is open but the rest is covered. This seems to be working good to keep the moisture in.

There is also a light that was used for the fish that sits ontop of this top. I want to change the light out but I am not sure what kind to use.

Any suggestions?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your set up looks good. :)
A black light would be neat for viewing the scorps at night as long as you don't leave the light turned on all the time. After so long of exposure they can lose their ability to glow. It has even been suggested that they can go blind if left on too much.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update.

They seem to have settled in and seem to be okay with it.
I caught one peeping out of the top of the tree. It was really funny looking so I took more pics to share.

:)

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a really nice looking setup you have. :) The scorps seem to be very happy, kudos!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lovely setup there Nos

you could prolly have more scorps in there,
if you do choose to do that, be careful as lone scorps introduced to stable colonies tend to get bullied :)

that skull look evil! :p

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments. I am happy with it and the scorpions seem happy too.
A funny thing is happening that you guys may find interesting. Last night I noticed one of them climbing out of the top of the tree again like in my last pic I posted. I watched them for a bit and was amazed to see that two of them are doing this. They climb up the inside of the tree and sit at the top opening for a minute or so with their pinchers stuck out and open, then they climb down the outside of the tree and go back in the hole at the bottom.
They do it one at a time and it almost looks like they are playing a game. Climb up and out then back down. As one is going back in the hole at the bottom another is coming out through the top. Its funny.

At first you would suspect they are looking for food but I have put crickets in there and even in the hole but they havent eaten them yet. Its wierd.

you could prolly have more scorps in there,
if you do choose to do that, be careful as lone scorps introduced to stable colonies tend to get bullied
How many do you think I could house in there, and be safe?

I got the tree and skull from a local PetSmart. The skull was like $8. and the tree was like $18, if I remeber correctly.

Im going to be settign up a similar aquarium for some H.Arizoneous but I would like to find a real looking human skull without robbing one from a local graveyard.

Thanks again.
Any suggestions or concerns about this set up are greatly welcomed.

JonDaAzn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for the skull for the arizoneous cage you could try to get an animal one from a local taxodermist or check ebay for a skull off one of those classroom models
btw, the emp setup is very nice

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JonDaAzn said:
for the skull for the arizoneous cage you could try to get an animal one from a local taxodermist or check ebay for a skull off one of those classroom models
btw, the emp setup is very nice
Thats a great idea. Thanks.

And thanks again for the comments, everyone.