Urticating hairs

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
Maby you know somthink abuot urticating hairs, like from what sp. throwing urticating hairs is begest reaction?
From what they are made? What material is alergetic in them?
Exmple for my any sp. of tarantulas havent don any raection.(B. vagans, B. smithi, L. parahybans, N. coloratovillosus, B. emilia, and so on.)
What is your rection on urticating hairs?
Thanks
(sorry for my bad english:))

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
NW (new-world) Ts have urticating hairs, whereas OW Ts do not. I've had them on me once from putting my hand in a tank to rearrange something, and my hand itched for a minute or so. Other than that, no big deal.

Orb Weaver

Arachnopeon
NW (new-world) Ts have urticating hairs, whereas OW Ts do not.
Aren't there a few NW species which don't possess urticating hairs? I think I read that somewhere ...

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think it is a "material" in them. From the spider biology books I've read, it's the microscopic barbs on the hairs that cause the irritaion to the skin and eyes. I have a really good book by Renier Foelix on spider biology with great info on Tarantulas. You can see it here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195095944/103-2772602-0816645?v=glance

and if you think L. parahybana hairs give you no reaction, you are either immune (for some odd reason or you're not human) or you don't have an L parahybana. Mine kicked hairs at a mouse once, I was 1 foot from the tank, and I felt several of these microscopic hairs land on my arms and it caused instant itching and burning, the worst I've felt from any Tarantula.

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Orb Weaver said:
Aren't there a few NW species which don't possess urticating hairs? I think I read that somewhere ...
Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius and Ephebopus (got them on pedipals but dont flick them)
Maybe Iridiopelma but not sure there.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
I don't think it is a "material" in them.

and if you think L. parahybana hairs give you no reaction, you are either immune (for some odd reason or you're not human) or you don't have an L parahybana.
Theres a theory that a protein (or other substance) on the urticating hair causes most of the reaction, while the barb shaped hair functions as a tool to get the irritating substance into the skin.
To me its makes alot of sence since it seems like the more exposured you get by the hairs - the worse reactions you get.
When I started keeping tarantulas (NW species) I didnt feel anything from the hairs - now its torture even from the same species as I kept back then.

/Lelle

Last edited:

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Ephebopus (got them on pedipals but dont flick them)

/Lelle
Are you sure? I think Bertani (at least I think it was Bertani ...I have a bad memory lol) said at a lecture about urticating hairs he gave in Germany, that the type 5 hairs that the genus Ephebopus have are indeed of the airborne type. Im also sure that there is something about this writen by Marshal and Uetz as well.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Urticating hairs...

Urticating hairs can have different reactions with different people. Some may not have effects or some individuals will have more pronounced discomfort.
In my experience the Lasiodora and T. Apophysis are the worst when it comes down to rating them all.
Intense itching and reddening of the affected area. I employ latex gloves when cleaning these particular tanks out, with a good slathering of hydrocortisone cream. It really helps.
I can't imagine getting these barbed intruders into my eyes or throat, it would be a most unpleasant experience.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tescos said:
Are you sure? I think Bertani (at least I think it was Bertani ...I have a bad memory lol) said at a lecture about urticating hairs he gave in Germany, that the type 5 hairs that the genus Ephebopus have are indeed of the airborne type. Im also sure that there is something about this writen by Marshal and Uetz as well.
Offcourse they can use them but they dont it seems. I should have clarified that. And I added E. on the list cos they dont possess the typical abdominal urticating hair. I should have left them out of the list offcourse.. ;-)

/Lelle

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
well my reaction is just mild icthing and if the somehow get into my eyese wich has only happened once the just water a little bit and get red.....other than that i have had little reaction to them but im always carefull not to scare them into flicking hairs.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Offcourse they can use them but they dont it seems.
seems to who? Could it be that they do use them ,but because the patches of urticating hair are smaller than the patches found on the abdomens of other species that have urticating hair,they don´t use as many during their defencive actions? Could it be that because the type 5 hair is maybe smaller than the others they are not as noticeable? or maybe a mixture of both?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Theres a theory that a protein (or other substance) on the urticating hair causes most of the reaction, while the barb shaped hair functions as a tool to get the irritating substance into the skin.
To me its makes alot of sence since it seems like the more exposured you get by the hairs - the worse reactions you get.
When I started keeping tarantulas (NW species) I didnt feel anything from the hairs - now its torture even from the same species as I kept back then.

/Lelle
could be, I don't really get affected by the urticating hairs from rosehairs, but L parahybana I noticed instantly. It is very possible being the extreme discomfort it causes, though nature never ceases to amaze me, and possibly it is just the structure and shape of the barbs on the hairs that make them so irritating. would be interesting if they find out more regarding the protein hypothesis.

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
Urticating hairs can have different reactions with different people. Some may not have effects or some individuals will have more pronounced discomfort.
I would have to agree with this. As with most other things in life I have experienced as well, people react differnetly to different things. Fiberglass seems to irritate the hell out of some while others, including me, get a little irritation but nothing worth noting. The same is with other stuff like Poison Ivy. Some have a crazy outbreaks and reaction while others, like me, get only small patches of it that go away fast.
I knew a guy that would have a breakout just being near Poison Ivy, without even touching it, just getting close to the air born pollen(or whatever it is).

Eyes on the other hand are probably sensitive for everyone, but even still some deal with painfull reactions differently. Some will freak out and rub their eyes which of course makes it worse. I can deal with discomfort and pain allot better than some I know. It has always seemed that I get over such pain allot faster as well.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find the urtricating hairs to be very painful, much like rubbing my skin against fibreglass insulation. I wear latex gloves and long sleeves when I maintain my NW species, fortunately none of them are big hair-kickers.

Got a faceful of T. blondi hairs several years back, glad I was wearing safety glasses at the time. Still, it was very painful and made my eyes water like crazy.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius and Ephebopus (got them on pedipals but dont flick them)
Maybe Iridiopelma but not sure there.
Crotalus said:
Offcourse they can use them but they dont it seems. I should have clarified that. And I added E. on the list cos they dont possess the typical abdominal urticating hair. I should have left them out of the list offcourse.. ;-)
Tescos said:
seems to who? Could it be that they do use them ,but because the patches of urticating hair are smaller than the patches found on the abdomens of other species that have urticating hair,they don´t use as many during their defencive actions? Could it be that because the type 5 hair is maybe smaller than the others they are not as noticeable? or maybe a mixture of both?
What I have read (quotes from Marshall iirc to lazy to look them up) is they are fired off as the spider does it’s normal threat display but they tend to run out faster then spiders with a good sized patch on their abdomens, again im to lazy to check but I believe there thought to float which makes sense as they would be little use else.

All “true” members of the Aviculariinae have urtricating setae (that being Avicularia Iridopelma Pachistopelma) with Ephebopus having them on the inside face of the palps, it's believed some Avicularia also use their urtricating setae in a normal Theraphosinae type way (i.e. kicked off) iv seen a female A.purpurea "hair" her tube web in this way.

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well ia jus put on my hand a portion of L. parahybana hairs and I dont feel any reaction
I siting with them 1.3 hour. And on another hand I put a B. albopilosum hairs and there too nothing.

Last edited:

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I finish the experiment after 2 huors.
I in summation the effect was only low itch and almost invisible pain, wich have finish over 20min.
I effect was only on inside of a elbow. On the hand I dont feel anything.
And effect was only with L parahybana hairs.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spiderling LT said:
Well ia jus put on my hand a portion of L. parahybana hairs and I dont feel any reaction
I siting with them 1.3 hour. And on another hand I put a B. albopilosum hairs and there too nothing.
Can I ask you where you got the hairs from? A molt? A live T? and also urticating hairs are microscopic, how do you know you didn't get mostly abdominal hairs?

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Can I ask you where you got the hairs from? A molt? A live T? and also urticating hairs are microscopic, how do you know you didn't get mostly abdominal hairs?
I got them with brush from abdomen look on picture(middle on circle).
I take them from live T. I pick a beam of hairs from abdomen, and not only with brush, but the T also kicketd my with hairs too.

Attachments