Please explain: Old World vs New World

hard_jokur

Arachnopeon
:? I keep seeing these terms, "thrown" around when it comes to talking about T's. I see it so much that it's become generic & meaningless to me. Can someone please explain what old world & new world mean?? right now it's clear as mud :(

Thanks
Rich

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Old World Tarantulas are found in the "Old World," meaning Africa, Asia, Europe, etc.

New World Tarantulas are found in the "New World," meaning North and South America. When the Americas were discovered, they were the "New World."

Most New World Tarantulas have urticating hairs as their main form of defense.

Old World Tarantulas have a nasty attitude and bite as their main form of defense.

To generalize, New World Tarantulas are a bit more docile than Old World Tarantulas. There are some exceptions, of course.

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
New World-from the continents of the western hemisphere,most of these T's have urticating hairs on their abdomen.

Old World-From the continents of the Eastern hemisphere.They don't have urticating hairs,but make up for it with a usually nasty dispotion.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hard_jokur said:
:? I keep seeing these terms, "thrown" around when it comes to talking about T's. I see it so much that it's become generic & meaningless to me. Can someone please explain what old world & new world mean?? right now it's clear as mud :(

Thanks
Rich
Without knowing it may seem meaningless but when you know the meaning of the terms, particularly from personal experience with T's from each category, you can bet that anytime it's mentioned, it's a significant detail. :)

Atrax

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NW...they are located in Chile (and I think Argentina?), hence the common name Chilean Rose Hair.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Old Worlds tend to be a lot meaner usually too-a lot of T's with signigicant venom come from The Old World. I can't think of one Old World t I would recomend as a good "Beginner T"

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Ah, and just to add an historical note, without which I think the definition would be incomplete. The above posts cover all the zoological differences....

New Word/Old World World are referenced from the European point of view and Columbus' discovery of the "New World" . This was quite a surprise to the Native Americans, as they did not know that they required to be discovered. {D

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bagheera said:
New Word/Old World World are referenced from the European point of view and Columbus' discovery of the "New World" . This was quite a surprise to the Native Americans, as they did not know that they required to be discovered. {D
Really? This is mindblowing! How is it possible that these indigenous folks called themselves "Native Americans" before being happened across by the Europeans? Coincidence? I don't know, but it's mighty weird, and the fact that it's been so obviously omitted from the history books I've read makes me suspicious. And why didn't Von Daniken ever latch onto it? He can smell this kind of thing from miles off, even underwater. Somebody ought to give him a call.

Steve

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Old Worlds tend to be a lot meaner usually too-a lot of T's with signigicant venom come from The Old World. I can't think of one Old World t I would recomend as a good "Beginner T"
I found that most of them can be kept first off as long as the right research is done and respect and caution is shown, as some are species tend to be more defensive and run away when distrubed, then being outwardly aggressive.

Poecilotheria ornata was my 2nd T followed by regalis being my third, I had an Avic. avicularia first and thats was very slow and calm so big difference with the ornata. lol

LMS

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, I wonder was the outcome of those cures were. Aloe Vera sounds like good advice, I have a few of these in the house so I may be pulling leaves off soon.
I'm just about to receive my first T - an adult female Lasiodora Klugi, eeek!
Seems I'm in for both the hairs and the 1 inch fangs!

tabbski

Arachnopeon
my first t

just aquired my first and from the previous post i think i have a old world t, im from australia and the t is phlogius SP 'stents', i got it through a pet store so i think it may have been caught in the wild, so i guess i should try to handle it..... too much.....

jen1302

Arachnopeon
I have a chili flame sling which with what i found on it does not flick hairs like my chili rose.

So i'm assuming my chili flame (sling) is old world not new like my rosie or curly.

Not found much info on this type if anyone has any info on flame always love to find out new things.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A chilean flame or chilean fire is a Grammostola rosea, red color form. It IS in fact the same species as a Chilean rose. They're all from south america and thus NW.

The urticating hair question has nothing to do with whether they DO or DON'T actually kick hairs but rather whether or not they possess them at all.

There are actually some NW species that don't have urticating hairs. The delineation of OW vs NW has to do with where they're from, period.

From the Americas = NW
From anywhere else = OW

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
chilean flame might refer to Euathlus or possibly even non-Theraphosidae mygalomorphs.

(tarantula are from the spider family Theraphosidae. i believe only theraphosidae can flick urticating setae. there are spiders that look *quite* similar to tarantulas that are not from family Theraphosidae. some knowledgeable euro can probably chime in)

(mygalomorphs are spiders that are generally long lived and have four book lungs and fangs that open downward)