My Nauphoeta cinerea colony setup

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the way how I keep them. Colony has been renewed, so you see only small number of insects.

They don't need any substrate. They eat almost everything. They are very easy to keep. But they've got one big dissadvantage: they are fast climbers.

Everything (with 20 adult roaches) for 5$. Sometimes it is good to live in Poland ;)

Attachments

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do you give some holes to ventilate? Do they need? :?
My tanks will occur some ants after putting some fruits in my tank
My tank is not tight
Do you have this problem?
or How should I prevent them?
Thanks

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep them in one tank
But I give them a lid(not tight)
I provide them with fruit
To leat them absorb water
But I find some ant enter their tank
So bad... :mad:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mark said:
Do you give some holes to ventilate? Do they need? :?
Yes, this is the only part I haven't done before taking that pics. I will make some small holes in the cover and in the one wall.

I have been using the vasaline before I installed this gasket.
I also provide them water by giving them fresh fruits.

Luckily, I have no ants in my flat.

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
I have been using the vasaline before I installed this gasket.

Sorry! I dont know what sentence you mean
Can you say it clearly again?
Do you give them a heat source for breeding?
What heat source is good to use?
Thanks

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, my english is still terrible, sorry :8o
Now tank is hermetic enough to prevent roaches from escapes. I used vaseline before. If you look at the third photo, you can see that roaches climb to specific height. This is a place where vaseline was used.

I keep them near my cricket tanks, that I heat with heating cable 25 Watts. Roaches are close enough to cable, to have temperature in their tank near 27-29 degrees C.

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my only roach,Blaptica dubia as my T food
But they dont breed now
so next month
I will buy a heat source for their breeding
Hope I can have NEW baby ;)
I think you keep many insects
Do you keep T or pede?

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey raptor:
i'd say vasaline wont do any good to roaches, it'll eat up the wax of their exoskeletons
if they all got hide, they wont escape,also they wont survive through the winter if they got their way out generally
and
Mark, would u plz show us some photos of ur B.dubia colony of YOUR OWN?(don't say u cannot afford a photo taking device or u dont like to post ur pics on net cuz u r afraid somebody else would stole urs)
otherwise i think maybe i'll keep consider u as imposer, no offense, but u've told me u havn't own any Ts YET, so are u telling us the TRUTH that u fed ur ROACHES(?) to ur Ts(ur so-called up comming Singapore blue?)
stop lieing to urself, Okay?
Sorry eveyone, just can't hide the truth and keep my mouth shut
all the best

Last edited:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes. I don't use it anymore.

I know that they won't be able to survive outside the tank... but I must be careful with my parents. They wouldn't be pleased if they could meet these beasts in their room :D

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
i'd say vasaline wont do any good to roaches, it'll eat up the wax of their exoskeletons
if they all got hide, they wont escape,also they wont survive through the winter if they got their way out generally
On what evidence are you basing that statement? A lot of people use vaseline to contain their roaches, and with no ill effects at all. If you had ever kept lobster roaches, you would know that it is completely essential to have some form of barrier to prevent them escaping. As soon as you open the lid the roaches will start running up the side of the enclosure and straight out. They don't breed in the house, but they sure as hell do survive for a long time. I had some escape about 6 months ago, and i am still finding them alive in the house.

By far the best substance i have used for containing roaches is Fluon. Its similar to liquid teflon, creating a non-stick surface you can paint on the side of the enclosure that roaches cannot climb. I think you can buy it commercially as bugstop, but it's quite espensive. Fortunately the lab i work in has a 10 litre drum of the stuff!

Cheers,

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use vaseline with climbing roaches with no problems.

Dan, does fluon work at high temperatures? I ask because an ant researcher I know was using something (fluon, I think) to contain his various colonies. One day, the AC went out and the fluon slid down the sides and the ants escaped. He said he returned to the lab to find a major war going on between the colonies!

Wade

Wade

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Wade,

As far as i have observed, it doesn't seem to melt at high temps. I think the inside of my roach bins might have reached +40 C (104 F) on a hot day, maybe even higher, and it was still working fine. Once it has dried on, it forms a powdery type of substance that is pretty much insect climb proof. I have needed to repaint it every few months or so, but it really isn't a hassle, and only takes a minute per bin. A small jar of the stuff seems to go a long way, so it probably is worth the money even if you can't find it cheap in bulk. The beauty of it is that once it is painted on it dries to form a non-sticky layer on the enclosure surface, and it nowhere near as messy as vaseline.

Cheers,

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=37237
well, that's my assumption on roaches, cuz they are all inverts rite?
also mine just hide between the egg crates(underneath), i give them lotta to hide, prety ample of room(300 in a 1m long x 50cm wide x 30cm tall plus full fill egg crates), so they won't flee crazily like u discribe
also i got two tokay geckos ;) for the GUARDS, if any of them dare to escape, they'll just be exacuted right on, just my own experience

Last edited: