Help! Broken Spider!!!!!

frogman

Arachnopeon
my stripe knee fell in his cage. he was climbing in the back corner and he jumped/fell about 4 inches to the floor. :eek: i can see this black liquid coming outta his leg. i cant handle him at all, it's not very socialable. (he bites) what should i do? :confused:

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have the Taratula Keeper's guide? If so they have some remedies in there. If it stops bleeding it will probably be ok but you may have to do some field dressing for it to slow the bleeding down. Otherwise just leave it alone probably and make sure it has some water to drink to replenish itself. Im sure there are other experts here who can direct you further. Hope it makes it. :cool:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If your T doesn't die from blood loss and such, then it will most likely lose its leg...but it will grow back during the next molt.

-Mattyb

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it took around two molts to grow back a missing leg?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
heuu in a book ... they show a spider with 2 missing leg's ... or even 3, 3 years after all the leg's were back, I've no idea if its longer when theres more then 1 leg missing ... hope it help

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you can find the actual site of the injury applying somthing to stop the blood flow such as crazy glue, nail glue, nail polish or nuskin should help. I think cornstarch also works but I'd get a second opinion on that.

Perhaps you can distract him with somthing like a chopstick while you apply whatever you have to the leg? Alternately if you can get a bit of whatever you choose to use on the end of a chopstick or q-tip to put some space between your hand and the tarantula that may help.

I will let somone else handle describing removing injured legs as I have never done it.

I also highly suggest that you get a copy of The Tarantula Keepers Guide as soon as you can, and read it cover to cover before somthing off this nature happens again. So in the future you dont have to waste precious time waiting on responses from this board to help your sick pet.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also suggest you this awesome book, everything is in there :clap:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
I thought it took around two molts to grow back a missing leg?

My male T.blondi lost a leg and he grew it back after just one molt. (it was smaller than the rest, but he grew it back)

-Mattyb

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your t is aggressive, put him in the fridge for a few minutes to cool him down. Get your nail polish, liquid bandage, etc. ready. While the t is cool and slow (this will only last a few minutes), dab the styptic on the wound and let it dry completely before returning the t to its enclosure.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Someone with more experience here may be able to describe how for you to actually make the tarantula autonomize its own leg if the bleeding won't stop.

As for re-growing the leg, it will take a few molts to fully regenerate, although you will see it beginning to regenerate with the next molt.

Galeogirl's suggestion is a good one. I would put the T in the refrigerator for a few minutes to make it calm down, then put something on the leg.

You can also use the coke-bottle method (using the top half of a two-liter coke bottle) to cover the T, then use long tweezers or a paint brush to put the stuff on the leg.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heartfang said:
Put your T in the fridge? That won't kill it?
It shouldn't. Since Tarantulas don't generate thier own body heat they depend on thier enviornment for warmth. Putting it in the fridge for a few minutes will slow it down enough to cover the wound. This isn't something you should do on a regular basis, only in an emergency with more agressive specimens

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You only put your t in there for a few minutes to cool it down, thereby slowing its reactions and making it easier to handle. I've done it with a few of them to treat them for injuries. Haven't lost one yet.