How would you make an ICU?

Myztery

Arachnopeon
I've been reading on the boards for a while now, and when someone reports a sick T in an ICU what does that really mean? I understand that it requires a moist paper towel and humidity, but as I have never had the occasion to need to build one myself (cross fingers) I worry that I will fail when the time comes (hopes it never will). Does anyone have any pictures or a guide to making an ICU that they could post up?

Belarius

Arachnopeon
Old Timer
Yeah, I totally agree with Myztery...what does an ICU really look like. I heard about the moisture and the paper towel, but...can you please elaborate? I am new here too. Please share your expertise.

obsidion

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what about the moist paper towel and T`s that like it dry? could thet stress them even more?

good thread Myztery :) been kinda wondering about this myself

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't seem to be able to get the search function to work to post links so I'll try to answer.

All an ICU is is a deli-cup or other container with a moist (not soaking wet) paper towel in the bottom. You'd use it when the tarantula is injured or ill. Even for species that are used to extremely dry conditions it's beneficial because most injuries that would require an ICU also cause dehydration (i.e. lost appendage, punctured abdomen, etc). For something like trying to get rid of mites you might want to use an ICU as a temporary holding container but you wouldn't want the moisture. I'm sure someone else can explain better than I can. Try searching as well because I know I've seen threads detailing ICUs before.

Myztery

Arachnopeon
Ventilation wise, would you desire more airholes to maximize the ventilation, or fewer ones to boost the humidity-Also how often would one recomend changing the paper towel? Or would misting the spider be a better solution?

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How to make an ICU

step 1) click on search at the top of your screen

step 2) type "how to make an icu"

step 3) follow the directions

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mandi said:
How to make an ICU

step 1) click on search at the top of your screen

step 2) type "how to make an icu"

step 3) follow the directions
Firm, yet to the point.

Myztery

Arachnopeon
I understand your point of bringing up the use of the search tool, but as I have found no specific guide to the building of an ICU my question was geared more towards finding out if different individuals have different methods that they prefer or have found any problems with ICU's they have created. Perhaps I worded my question incorrectly.
I have not yet seen this exact same query posted on the boards, and while I can understand your point if the thread had asked for "The best beginner T's ever" it did not. Rather than requesting clear cut ICU instructions I had hoped my post would generate individual responses. I feel that my question was worthy of response and belonged in a forum opened to and designed for "Tarantula Questions and Discussions." I assume I was not alone because several other individuals made posts designating that they agreed my question had legitimacy.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ICU stands for Intensive Care Unit. It is usually used for sick tarantulas, or injured ones. The once I needed one I quickly constructed it out of a smallish clear critter keeper, lined the bottom with paper towels, and gently misted them a tad bit - to just barely dampen them. I put a bottle top in there with water, and put it in the bathroom with the lights out. Since my problem was with a spider having difficulties with a molt, I ran the shower on hot in there with the door shut to give a huge boost to the humidity.

I would think that a deli cup would be a little bit small for most uses, unless you are really trying to constrict movement a lot. I liked the critter keeper because it allowed me to see if the spider was moving or not, and it allowed me to put a water dish in there and gave the spider room to move toward or away from the water dish as it wanted.

I think that some ventilation is good, but I would not use one with high ventilation, as when a spider is sick or having trouble, a boost in humidity and heat usually will help get them on their feet. For the most part an ICU isn't used for long term care, so stagnant air shouldn't really be an issue, and since usually the main reason for providing lots of ventilation is to keep the air from becoming stagnant it's not necessary to have lots of ventilation. Obviously you don't want to eliminate ventilation, but a regular number of air holes would be nice. From what I've noticed, most spiders get very stressed out when sprayed with water, and hightened stress levels would not be good for a spider that is already not doing well. Increased overall humidity is what you're going for, and there are other ways to increase humidity other than spraying the spider or enclosure directly.

Depending on how well the spider is doing, and whether or not it is defecating, drinking, eating, etc. I would suggest changing the paper towel out once every day to once every three days to a week. If the spider isn't doing very well, and it isn't drinking, or eating, or defecating, it shouldn't be necessary to change out the paper towel very often, and in fact changing it too often could stress the T due to handling, etc.

When they are in an ICU you may try to feed them pre-killed items, or a single live item if they are looking particularly well. Otherwise in a small space, and nowhere to hide a sick or injured T can become highly stressed by the presence of uneaten feeders.

I hope this answers most of your questions. Although the one time I did need to use an ICU the spider didn't survive, it worked well and did everything it is meant to do. The spider nearly made it through I think. It got a little bit better before it started to molt. It'd been poorly packaged for shipping, and when it got here it was extremely lethargic and refused to walk or right itself. After a few hours in the ICU it would walk, and right itself, and even drink. Then it started to molt, and it just didn't have the energy for that.