Temperment vs. Temperment

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just wondering which temperment is worse.... a P. murinus' or a T. blondi's. I have a P. murinus already and its a little demon and I was just wondering how a T. blondi would compare in attitude.... is it easier to handle a T. blondi? Whats the chances of handling a T. blondi compared to a G. rosea? Then compared to a P. murinus.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
I was just wondering which temperment is worse.... a P. murinus' or a T. blondi's. I have a P. murinus already and its a little demon and I was just wondering how a T. blondi would compare in attitude.... is it easier to handle a T. blondi? Whats the chances of handling a T. blondi compared to a G. rosea? Then compared to a P. murinus.
me personally, i would never hold my T .blondi, she has never attacked me but has kicked hairs when its time to clean her burrow or change substrate.
as fo a P. murinus i dont have one, so maybe someone else could tell you more, hope this helps

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
P. murinus is easily more feisty in my personal experience. They are faster and will more readily show a threat display. I have 7 3" murinus and even this small they will throw up threats quickly. My 5" blondi has never shown a threat display and just flicks hairs or runs into the burrow to hide.

Edit: I would never ever under any circumstances handle either one of these tarantulas.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say, in the broad sense of things, that I'd be more apt to handle a P. murinus than a T. blondi if I had to make the choice. Relative fang size and lack of urtricating hairs, if nothing else, are big persuaders.

Depends on your ts, though. I've had T. blondis that probably could have been held and some that even doing cage maintenance was a thrill sport. Same with P. murinus.

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
Hey there... I personally have both... an Adult Female P. murinus about 5" and she never comes out of her hide aside to drink... when I re-do her habitat every once and a while when she is out and about she has never shown any defensiveness (I HATE THE WORD AGRESSION)... My T. blondi is a Juvie and is about 3.5-4" and is quite the Scardy Spider... anytime I come near it's tank it runs and hides under it's coconut shell... doesn't flick hair... doesn't strike... but I would NOT want to be it's dinner... cuz then she is VERY active and will stuff as many crix as I dump into her tank into her mouth... the only time my blondi gets fussy is when I fill her water dish... she attacks it and then runs away... I think I have gotten off lucky on BOTH of them as they are not overly defensive... but I have yet to handle either of them...

Ken

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies everyone. So even for people who do handle tarantulas like G. rosea or A. Avic, these same people wouldn't handle a T. Blondi? I think that is the picture I have in my head :). I have only ever handled my P. murinus once, and trust me it wasn't on purpose hehe.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I don't have a Blondi, but I do have an Aphosis and a P. murinus. I'd rather hold my T Aphosis. My P. Murinus is the spawn of Satan. It gives a threat response when i walk by, so go figure. Then again, it depends on the temperment of the individual.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my murinus is just extremly nervous, not agressive or defensive at all ... as long as she got a place to hide, if not she will run at you

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I would sooner handle my murinus than the blondi I once had. As pointed out above, those fangs are HUGE. My blondi was over 7". Those hairs have been described as being "like miniature atom bombs going off in your flesh". I am also of the look, don't touch school. :D

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I would definately not touch my P. murinus. Whenever I go to feed it, it always makes a mad angry lightning dash for the lid when I open the cage. It really scares me sometimes.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I like to hold my G. rosea, B. smithi, and P. imperator. I also used to have a B. albopilosum and an A. seemani that I didn't have problems holding. But I haven't been able to work up the guts to hold my P. murinus.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've been tempted to hold my T. blondi, but I haven't yet. He does flick hairs if you bug him alot, but he will only give a threat display if he is in his house and is bothered. His size and speed have kept me from trying though. If I got him up over the side of the tank and onto my hand, I have a feeling he would be a perfect gentleman. But I'm too chicken to try, everyone else is right, those fangs are ginormous!!(is that a word?) I don't have a P. murinus so I can't comment about that. I think you have to know the individual personalities of your spiders and then go from there.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would love to hold my blondi, but she is MEAN!!!!!!! I cannot even change her water without her flicking hairs, hissing, and rearing up....I usually get out of there when she rears, so she has never struck at me, but I wouldn't put it past her....Changing substrate with her is a chore, let me tell ya. She has struck at the critter keeper I shooed her into the last substrate change. That was fun! But I gotta give her credit, she just had a perfect molt, and she looks beautiful! Still mean, though!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I saw a picture of someone holding a phoneutria fera ... only one word come in my mind : STUPID

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
I saw a picture of someone holding a phoneutria fera ... only one word come in my mind : STUPID
Had me confused for a sec then I remembered they have 2 different scientific names and no way I would try that one

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
FRAZE01 said:
I did that with my P. murinus.... on accident though. It got onto my hand and I knew I was gonna have a problem lol. Luckily I stayed calm enough not to immediately try to grab it but what I did do didn't make matters better. I blew on it to try to get it to climb down but instead it wanted to attack the sourc of the air!

So it starts running up my arm. Stops for a second, goes higher more. You can tell that its angry and then it shakes its butt and shoots poop all over my shoulder. I was really scare at this point, still staying calm for the most part though it makes it all the way to my neck. I decide to lay my hand down in front of it thinking most likely it was gonna attack but I really wanted it away from my neck.

Instead I get lucky and it crawls onto the hand infront of it and then I put my hand into the container and start shaking a little. It falls off into the moss and promptly hides to where I can't see it. Most exhilirating experience!

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
I did that with my P. murinus.... on accident though. It got onto my hand and I knew I was gonna have a problem lol. Luckily I stayed calm enough not to immediately try to grab it but what I did do didn't make matters better. I blew on it to try to get it to climb down but instead it wanted to attack the sourc of the air!

So it starts running up my arm. Stops for a second, goes higher more. You can tell that its angry and then it shakes its butt and shoots poop all over my shoulder. I was really scare at this point, still staying calm for the most part though it makes it all the way to my neck. I decide to lay my hand down in front of it thinking most likely it was gonna attack but I really wanted it away from my neck.

Instead I get lucky and it crawls onto the hand infront of it and then I put my hand into the container and start shaking a little. It falls off into the moss and promptly hides to where I can't see it. Most exhilirating experience!
this is a crazy experience ;) when mine striked in my hand she runned on my arm and then jumped on my room floor, she decided to take a run in my room too... that was pretty bad experience to try to find her , cuz I could'nt find for about 20 seconds ... what a little ******* :) soo cute

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought my P. murinus's would be the most defensive T I keep... Then I purchased a H. Minax. Real intense T. It's settling down now, comes out of its hide at night to stalk it's cage. Great T, interesting colors as well.