I got 2 new______??? today

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i got some more new T's today. I sincerely Apologise for the vague common names. My hope is that with these you all can help me identify them.
the second pic "tawny" is an underside shot, I am guessing female, hoping really. <EDIT> i know the second pic sucks badly, and should be removed for reasons of saftey but i did not want to delete it <EDIT> Ordered them through the petstore i work at. The dealer barely lists common names but i figured at the prices i got for adults, what the heck right?

Well they were named "earth tiger" my guess is hapolopelma something...
and the other looks like a T. blondi but was called "tawny" something or orther.

heres some pics. bad i know but these guys (hopefully girls) were less than cooperative to say the least.

"earth tiger"

"Tawny"
Pic deleted, i just could not bear the blur...
basicly a brown spider resembling a T. blondi

Last edited:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't help ya out with the identifying, but that first T needs to fatten up!

-Mattyb

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah i just got them today. the "earth tiger" is munching 4 crix now...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats good. its amazing what 4 crickets will do for her, its nice to know she has a good home now. good work :clap:

-Mattyb

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dunno either but very nice T, I love Haps species.

also, thats very typical for haps to have a small abdomen, it looks fine to me.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wading in the mysterious and wondrous swamp of common names, I saw 'tawny' referring to Grammostola grossa/mollicoma and Hysterocrates spp.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well thanks for looking. I could not find anything. The "tawny" is quite a handful. I swear it thinks it is an OBT. It will just about flip over completely when i open the tank, and it is threat posing the whole time.

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO looks 'similar' to Cyriopagopus thorelli???? Or maybe a haplopelma sp?

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
thats very typical for haps to have a small abdomen, it looks fine to me.
Not to me! Looks VERY underfed. Or, could have just came out of a molt. Either way the crix should fatten it up. As far as the common names go I think there are 2 Haplopelma "earth tigers" a golden and a black. Both are considered Haplopelma schmidti, there just happen to be 2 color variations. Or so (they) say. They being T dealers, and I suppose taxonomists. EDIT: The more I look at the pic it looks like Cyclosternum schmardae. "From the pic provided", this is what I am voting you have. :)

Last edited:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
YIKES :eek: -that's a very pretty T- but it looks like a carapace with legs! Baby's got no back!! S/he needs some TLC, IMO!!

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, the first one is amazingly skinny. I am glad you fed it. :eek:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The T on the first pic looks like a T that is offered under the name: "Ornithoctonus hainana" in Europe.

And she is indeed underfed, but I think that is just because she had recently moulted.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats how i got them, they both have eaten about 12 crix in the last 24 hours. I called my boss at the pet store and asked if he had any more info, the dealer sheet said "chineese black earth tiger" but i am still unsure about the second. Perhaps i'll get a chance to check out the dealer sheet for myself tomorrow.

EDIT: note on feeding newly shipped T's. I have heard it is unwise to feed freshly shipped T's as soon as you recieve them. Something about stress from shipping. but this guy needed food, and alot of it.

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pheonixx, Does it have yellowish bands between each leg segment? If so I'm still going with Cyclosternum schmardae, if not probably Haplopelma schmidti (black)..........Anyone else? :?

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arachnojunkie, I'd have to agree with you. It looks alot like a C. Schmardee (AKA: Yellow-Banded Birdeater), look close at the first and fourth set of legs. It looks like some yellow bands to me. The prosoma doesn't look like a schmidti to me. Nice looking T Pheonixx. Anyone else have an opinion?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
well thanks for looking. I could not find anything. The "tawny" is quite a handful. I swear it thinks it is an OBT. It will just about flip over completely when i open the tank, and it is threat posing the whole time.

She is prolly like that because she was starving, maybe after a week or two of constant feeding she will calm down. Good luck.

-Mattyb

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The T on the first pic looks like a T that is offered under the name: "Ornithoctonus hainana" in Europe.

And she is indeed underfed, but I think that is just because she had recently moulted.

I'm going to agree with Prizz, a good friend of mine was in the same situation a few months back, and thats what it was ruled to be... does it have the white mustache? If so then i would definately say Ornithoctonus hainana. :)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i really did not get close enough to see. both T's were very un happy. The second T (not pictured because all the pics came out blurry for some reason) looks a heck of a lot like a T. blondi without all the fuzz. I'll try to get some better pics today if my boss at the pet store cant get me a copy of the list he orders from.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For a start I would go with the "hunch" that this is Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" or Haplopelma sp. "Surat Thani". An additional shot of the spider in full figure with a good view of the chelicerae would make it possible to sort out H. hainana and C. schmardae (sic!).

Regards
Søren

Pheonixx said:
well i got some more new T's today. I sincerely Apologise for the vague common names. My hope is that with these you all can help me identify them.
the second pic "tawny" is an underside shot, I am guessing female, hoping really. <EDIT> i know the second pic sucks badly, and should be removed for reasons of saftey but i did not want to delete it <EDIT> Ordered them through the petstore i work at. The dealer barely lists common names but i figured at the prices i got for adults, what the heck right?

Well they were named "earth tiger" my guess is hapolopelma something...
and the other looks like a T. blondi but was called "tawny" something or orther.

heres some pics. bad i know but these guys (hopefully girls) were less than cooperative to say the least.

"earth tiger"

"Tawny"
Pic deleted, i just could not bear the blur...
basicly a brown spider resembling a T. blondi