Genus Orphnaecus

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi All,

I've got 2 slings of Orphnaecus sp., I bought them as a Chilobrachys sp. from Cebu. But I saw a photo about their mom. She looked similar to a Ch. bicolor, that's why I think she was an Orphnaecus sp.
Does anyone has a pic of this species?

Thanks, :confused:
Imre

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bengerno said:
Does anyone has a pic of this species?
Hi Imre,
No pic here, but I can tell you how to confirm you have an Orphnaecus sp.. :)

The lyra of the Selenocosmiinae seem stable on a generic level, meaning a genus identification can be made using this character. The lyra of Orphnaecus looks like a downward facing 1/4 moon, with a reduced number of large clavate bacillae. Also, there is a reduced number of strikers compared to other Selenocosmiines. Here is a sketch I did of the lyra:

Because your spider is young the lyra will still be developing (being a recently derived character it develops as the spider ages), so you may need to wait for a few moults until you can tell. I would also guess you will find an unpaired third claw on tarsi IV, as well as teeth on the median keel of the paired claws. I do not know how constant the spermethecae are, but you might be looking for spermethecae that have a "cutout" portion on the inside of the apical area of each recpetacle (found in at least one Orphnaecus sp.[/]).

Hope this helps ;)

Steve

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Steve :worship:
So I have to wait patiently, but who can !? ;)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
WOW!!! nice pic. is that a pellitus?
The pic (very nice :) ) look's like the one sold as Orphnaceus.sp "2" over here (the mini S.dichromata lookalike) but they are now sold as O.pellitus overseas.

Edit: Come to think Orphnaceus.sp "Cebu" may be different to sp "2" im sure they did not look "that" much like S.dichromata (less distinct) :?.

Last edited:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This "dichromata-lookalike" specimen is from the island of Negros and become larger than the species from Cebu. See picture attached for comparison.

Robi_Wan said:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Cheers Søren im normally confused at the best of times but i was sure the Cebu one's were more "dignified" then sp "2" :D.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ungh? "dignified"? What do you mean?

Søren

FryLock said:
Cheers Søren im normally confused at the best of times but i was sure the Cebu one's were more "dignified" then sp "2" :D.

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IMO,Bill probably use this word,dignified(=distinguished) ;)

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In that case I have to say it's the other way around. Though "Cebu" has great contrast right after a molt the colours fade rapidly. Also whereas the contrast in "Negros" or "2" is black/orange the contrast in "Cebu" is more of a dark chestnut/orange. Also to confuse even more - there is a third species - much smaller - sold as Orphnaecus sp. "Philippines" which is from a third island and which is uniform reddish brown. See picture attached. To my knowledge none of these three could ever be O. pellitus mainly due to the distance between the type locality and the localities of the other three species.

Regards
Søren

Mark said:
IMO,Bill probably use this word,dignified(=distinguished) ;)

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, Søren
Nice photo!
Although it is overall brown,it seems that some tarantulas habit in Philippines
This island comes close to my country(also Hong Kong)
Have you ever gone to other countries to do your research(field study)?
I recall you have gone to Borneo and took some photo
Can you share your experience with me about your field trip?
I think it is more interesting to me
You can see their natural habitat in really
Thanks for your input

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Iv also seen a plain near jet black species listed as Orphnaecus.sp on an Asian site (iv looked for the pic but cant find it) im guessing it could have been that smaller reddish brown species post moult (but knowing ID's on some sites..).

BTW: Close Mark, dignified as in being self restrained (i.e. more sombre) then the sp “2” but the brown spider humour is from another board (tho I do like brown spiders :D ).

Mark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cheers,Bill
For me,I do like huge New World terrestrials such as Pamphobeteus spp.(my favorite New World genus:)) and all arboreals of other genera.I like their special life style.

insectoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
In that case I have to say it's the other way around. Though "Cebu" has great contrast right after a molt the colours fade rapidly. Also whereas the contrast in "Negros" or "2" is black/orange the contrast in "Cebu" is more of a dark chestnut/orange. Also to confuse even more - there is a third species - much smaller - sold as Orphnaecus sp. "Philippines" which is from a third island and which is uniform reddish brown. See picture attached. To my knowledge none of these three could ever be O. pellitus mainly due to the distance between the type locality and the localities of the other three species.

Regards
Søren

oh!!! it's the first time that i can see an adult female of Orphnaecus sp.1 ! i have only some slings of this species and i hope i will can breed them... i'ts harm that only few persone is interesting by this species, at least in france. all people breed O. sp.2 but O. sp. "cébu" and O. sp.1 are neglect...

have you reproduce them?

Benoît

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have bred Orphnaecus sp. "Cebu" twice. It is disturbingly easy to mate. I usually say that the male merely need to look at a female to fertilize her ;-)

Both batches were large and the spiderlings hardy. At first they didn't sell well, but then everybody wanted some and I got rid of all the spiderlings ;-)

I have tried to mate the small species Orphnaecus sp. "Philippines" but both females molted shortly after the mating. I hope to be able to get more males for future breeding of these mini species.

I understand the preference for the Orphnaecus sp. "Negros" (sp. 2) as it is the larger and more colorful of the three species in the hobby, but Iprefer to breed anything I have nonregarding the lack of interest in the hobby.

Regards
Søren

insectoman said:
oh!!! it's the first time that i can see an adult female of Orphnaecus sp.1 ! i have only some slings of this species and i hope i will can breed them... i'ts harm that only few persone is interesting by this species, at least in france. all people breed O. sp.2 but O. sp. "cébu" and O. sp.1 are neglect...

have you reproduce them?

Benoît

insectoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok ok, if you search male of O. sp1 in the futur i will have 1or 2 males, i really want keep this species in my breeding.

Best regards
Benoît

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I'm a lil' confused :confused: As I see I bought the Cebu type, but in the picture what the trader show me there was an O. sp. 2 :D So only the time can solve my problem. And we can see the pix of both 3 type. :worship:
Anyway thanks for your help, I already know much much more than a week ago.