Molting painful?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used the search on this and found no results. But my g/f asked me if it is painful when a T molts, and i wasn't sure, so is it painful?

-Mattyb

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not totally sure if it would be painful or not and I don't know if anyone can say for sure that it is. I don't think it would be an overly pleasant experience, crawling out of ones skin. I suppose it would be painful if it was a bad moult ie. lost legs etc. But not sure about a normal moult.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not completely sure either. One thing though, it's definitely tiring

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as the other said its very impossible to say it ... its for sure a hard experience

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's probably like after we sunburn really bad------> after the pain and then it starts itching and ya just wanna peel it off :p
Probably just real aggravating.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I've noticed, especially with my juvie B boehmei, that just before a molt she looks extremely uncomfortable, laying half on her side, shifting position alot, and her abdomen gets so swollen.....hehe, she's got PMS if I ever saw it!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I used the search on this and found no results. But my g/f asked me if it is painful when a T molts, and i wasn't sure, so is it painful?
-Mattyb
Does it hurt a tree to have its leave fall off at the end of the season?
Does it hurt when a bird hatches out of its egg?
Does it hurt the grass when you mow it?
There are some thing that we can not know in this life time. Speculation on these kind of topics is, IMO, mental masturbation.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
i was under the impression T's were incapable of feeling pain lack of brain power just like they are incapable of emotion. but who knows for sure really :confused:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you've got a good point that I had forget, duno why...

they dont got any nerv or anything to feel pain imo ... they just feel very incomfortable has they are very tight in the exuvium, imagine how tight it is, she's 1 inch bigger, soo she cant move properly and i've been thinking to that, that probably explain that they are inactive, they cant move well

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
David Burns said:
Does it hurt a tree to have its leave fall off at the end of the season?
Does it hurt when a bird hatches out of its egg?
Does it hurt the grass when you mow it?
There are some thing that we can not know in this life time. Speculation on these kind of topics is, IMO, mental masturbation.

hahaha yeah thats true.

Shogun, i do believe Ts can feel pain, i think that every living thing feels some sort of pain, well other than plants. I mean when a T or a snake catches a cricket or a mouse, don't you think they feel joy? or don't you think they are happy that they will survive for another week or two? thats just my opimion :D

-Mattyb

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This doesn't make sense. T's have to have nerves, or how else would their brains be able to move them ? I'm not a nerologist, but doesn't the brain have to fire nerves to perform any kind of motion.

Molting looks painful !

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Think of the T has one big hydrolic creature.... yes I am sure there are some nerves that are there that control motor skills.... but its no where near the thought process you might think.......When it wants to move it pushes fluid to the legs that cause them to lift and extend the way that it wants to.

Another thing that makes me think they dont have any complicated nerve response is if you accidently catch a Ts leg in the lid or something and dont see it leave and come back later, the T just drops that leg off and goes about its day and later down the road grows another one.

But I dont think in general they have pain feelings like most creatures. But something lesser rather because they do react but more out of a primal survival type reaction.

Grrr I am going to bed I am not making any sinse anymore. 28 hours of work in 2 days does that to someone I guess. :D

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't experience pain like we do, they only respond to outside stimuli.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I find it hard to believe that they don't feel some pain. Their main sense is touch and they react when they feel things. They know to move away if it gets too hot/cold or too wet/dry and they walk away from a paintbrush if you were to nudge them with it. If they didn't feel pain, they wouldn't know how to survive and use the fight/flight response. They would have long been gone if they never knew what pain was. It's how they know when to get away, right? In my opinion, every living breathing conscious being shares one common interest, an interest in not suffering. ;)

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hahaha yeah thats true.

Shogun, i do believe Ts can feel pain, i think that every living thing feels some sort of pain, well other than plants. I mean when a T or a snake catches a cricket or a mouse, don't you think they feel joy? or don't you think they are happy that they will survive for another week or two? thats just my opimion :D

-Mattyb
plants do feel pain. they put out a certain vibration and if you cut part of the plant off and lay it beside the plant the vibratoin will change till the other is completly dead. then it will go back to normal. and i do think that t's feel pain in some manner.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
plants do feel pain. they put out a certain vibration and if you cut part of the plant off and lay it beside the plant the vibratoin will change till the other is completly dead. then it will go back to normal. and i do think that t's feel pain in some manner.
'Vibration' as measured by what, may I ask ?