White mites in the water!

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I have little white mites in the water of 3 of my T's. They look like little specks of powder or dust. I have used the search function on this site, I know how it works, I did find some threads on this topic, but as far as what to do about the mites was not really answered. Some were saying remove all the substrate and clean the tanks thouroughly. Some say the mites are harmless. I believe these things are called "springtails", I may be mistaken. So what's the bottom line on this? Do I remove all the substrate and wash out the tank? Or just clean the water dishes and keep the substrate dry? Right now the substrate is slightly moist, but not too bad.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Up to you sorta... dry it out and let water dish attract em, replace and clean water dish till gone, or start over by cleaning it all out. The latter is only way to ensure they are all gone.

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no infact they clean up dead crix. Its only aesthetic to remove them.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have posted the same thing before, i thought it was just my spider

yeah two of my spider dishes have them, they are all grouped together,,,you gotta really look at em under the light to see them move around, its pretty gross,,,whenever i see them i just put paper towel in there to soak all them up and throw that away then i take the water dish out that way i dont risk of spilling water/mites into the soil moving the dish out then, clean the dish with soap and water then place it back,,,

they come and go for me, never reappear always...i see them on dead crics as well, i dont know if they are the same species but again take them out.

ive had a crawshayi sling that came with a mite between its legs before,,,predatory mites are bigger than the water dish mites and will be on your spider.

i wouldnt worry too much or clean out the cage every time you see it.

Morbus ascendit

Arachnopeon
Hi!

As already said by versimomma these little things are quite useful. I wouldn't remove them! If you'd like to know more about them you should google using the keywords "springtails" or "collembola". Some information might also be found here.

Regards,
Uwe

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, that they are harmless to T's. I have them in some tanks. If they're in water dish, I just spill it out and refill. Those in dish are drown anyway.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tiny white invaders...

Yeah, I get those too. Gross. I dump the "infested" water dishes, clean them out and replace it with fresh water. They don't harm the T's but I would prefer not to have these floating creatures in any of my water dishes.
It's nasty looking, espescially if potential customers are here to look at my collection. ;P :D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aren't mites harmful to Ts if they get in the book lungs?

-Mattyb

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not all mites prey on the Ts. Some can actually keep the tank cleaner and free of harmful stuff.

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sounds kinda like what I have in my emp's cage.

and I noticed they are staying near the water, so I changed it, and moved it to the other side.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
Not all mites prey on the Ts. Some can actually keep the tank cleaner and free of harmful stuff.
One has to worry when foodstuffs get low and perhaps humidity in the substrate is low...They have been known to cluster around the book lungs...I never take the chance with them, I clean the tank.
T

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Water mites...

I don't know if these water mites and substrate mites are the same creature. I have not seen these water mites venture out of their watery home and into the peat. Perhaps it is because I change water dishes often.
In any case, if I see one mite in the substrate I change peat straight away.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Wait, are we talking about mites or just TINY <cricket> pinheads (Which end up in water dishes) ???

Mites are bad IMHO, if their #'s get out of hand....Pinheads I almost never pay mind too...
T