Happy about egg capsules

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I have an adult pair of ALBINO Narceus americanus and the female is forming egg capsules. :D I'm so happy. :clap:

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
oooo so jealous. Where did you get them? Were they WC albinos or just pop up one day in a tank that way?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The male and female were captive produced and reared by R.Willis and I believe they may be the only ones there are.
The female is the main pic on the millipede book cover -->

Certainly I don't know how many will hatch or survive but I have reared normal N.americanus for more than a decade and it looks like this will probably end up in a few hundred youngsters that should all be albino.

jonah

Arachnopeon
amazing!

you simply *must* put some pics up when they get big enough!

-j.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds excellent! Really wish I could get my hands on that book though :(

Milli-maniac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awsome!!!

Man If you have good luck with these ide more than gladly buy any youd put up fo sale i have searched for albino milli's just out of curiosituies sake so pls keep us updated. :drool: :} :drool: :} :drool: :} :worship: :worship: :worship:

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
Sounds excellent! Really wish I could get my hands on that book though :(
I have the book and can let you borrow it if ya want. Just pay back shipping when you send it back. I bought it from the library in Portal.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I managed to get the book from amazon.com finally and I like the general breeding/feeding/housing stuff but the species specific care stuff isn't much good to me as there isn't much detail about species that are more available to the UK. I think the species available to America and the UK must be different but could be wrong.

There was a couple of wee points the book gave that I disagree with after watching my own millipedes but again that might differences in the species available. Then again I think there was a picture of egg pellets made by Tanzanian red legged millipedes and they looked nothing like the ones mine have been making. Not sure what's going on there :eek:
Kind of wish the book was a bit bigger and with some more colour pictures in it, some of the black and white ones were difficult to make out for me who has eye trouble. :(

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
albino invertebrates !!!
i was under the impression that it was impossible

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thedreadedone said:
albino invertebrates !!!
this has come up before, and i was under the same impression you were ininitally. but more and more i think it is possible, depending on your definitions.

if you define albanism as the complete lack of coloration pigments, then i *think* it is possible.

one of the problems as i see it, is the coloration as we perceive it in arthropods is a result of light REFRACTING off of the cuticle and also reflecting off pigments (and maybe other mechanisms as well, i don't know). Albanism would not affect the refraction type of coloration at all. So the albinos, in this defintion, would still have some other elements of color to them, especially iridescent sheens and the like.

but if albino is spefically lacking the pigment melanin, in a species where it is normally present, then it would hinge on if there is melanin in normal inverts.

and that, i don't know, but i would imagine it would be fairly easy to google

this is another type of topic that should be relatively simple to resolve if careful attention is paid to definitions initially, but can spawn useless arguments and endless entanglements if not.

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Crunchie - just wondering on what points you differ with the book. Its been my main source for figuring out how to keep my pedes, so if you have any differing opinions, I would love to hear :)

The only thing that I don't really agree with is the amount of vegetable feeding recommended. My pedes will eat a bit of the rotting wood and leaves, but they expect fresh vegetables and fruits to be added to the cage at least every other day, not once a week like the book says. But then again, maybe they just don't like the variety of oak I'm offering too much. Overfeeding definitely leads to mite outbreaks...but my pedes don't look happy if they don't have something to nibble on. So what I've come up with is I feed them vegies every other evening, and pull out the remnants first thing in the morning, so mites don't get in the cage as quickly.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
thedreadedone said:
albino invertebrates !!!
Most of us wondered if it was possible and apparently it is with Narceus americanus. Here's the normal coloration:

I'm thinking the albino pair should throw all albino but time will tell. If everthing goes fine I'll have a pic of a ton of 3/4" youngsters in 12 months. Narceus aren't quick and like other millipedes they are white for at least the first few molts, albino or not.

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats awesome Orin, ive always wondered about that millipede on the cover. How much are you going to sell the babies for if they are albino?

Thanks,
Andrew

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
NiGHTS said:
Hey Crunchie - just wondering on what points you differ with the book. Its been my main source for figuring out how to keep my pedes, so if you have any differing opinions, I would love to hear :)
I will PM you about it at some point, it's been a while since I've read the book so I can't remember exactly what it was that I was seeing. ;)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NiGHTS,
I would recommend trying to leave smaller bits of food less often. If you ever want them to reproudce I think the food should be left to stay as long as it gets covered with substrate soon after it starts to turn. Then the baby millies that eat it from underneath for the first few months will have food. You could also accidentally throw little ones out unwittingly.
Remember springtails and the like are harmless, just those damn, little, almost immoveable, body desacating mites really suck.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I was planning an update with a photo of the babies a long, long time ago but it slipped my mind. The smallest are well over an inch. Here are some at 11 months and a quasi-normal one. Apparently this form of albinism isn't recessive since both parents are albino and approximately 1/4 are normal phenotype. The entire batch produced only 30 phenotype albinos (and 10 np) but the female appears to be going for another round.

Attachments