ID of Mexican T (?)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found it today, the fovea is pink colored, almost a dusted pink color. The abdomen of the spider has pink bands, like a wasp (6 or 7 pink bands, on a dark, almost black "background".

Found it in the state Veracruz, Mexico.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Does it look like this:

If it does.. it is a C. fasciatum (Costa Rican Tigerrump)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Davus fasciatus (C. fasciatum) does not occur in Mexico.

How about a picture?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I know that..... but I can't think of any other type which those markings

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Quite a bad picture, apologies. Will take more when the spider is settled. Found it near Cardel (Buenavista), Veracruz, Mexico.

It looks indeed exactly like the Costa Rican tigerrump (Cyclosternum fasciatum), so I guess that's what it is.

The plastic lid has a diameter of 12 cm.

It was quite a fascinating day, I found 2 scorpions, the tarantula, and 3 exoskeletons of a scorpion all very close together. One scorpion, a big one, probably female, got away :-( While I was looking for more scorpions a small lizard walked from a roof tile I was holding on my arm, shirt, pants, and down. Another big nice colored lizard came watching

It sounds like I visited a pet shop, but no :)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
We may have a winner! Although as mentioned before...these are not usually found in mexcio.

Other than that there are smaller sp. that could possibly be it.

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That picture doesn't mean it's D. fasciatus. There are quite a few species which look remarkably similar.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was found in Veracruz, and I doubt it was imported, but if it's not the Davus fasciatus (C. fasciatum) any other options?

The first pattern on the abdomen looks extremely similar ( =0= ), the pink line, with a pink round in the middle, with a black spot. Also the radial pattern on the fovea.

We found it between roof tiles in a meadow (see picture), and I have no idea if it's imported how it could get there (maybe banana plants but I doubt they are imported from costa rica).

So if it doesn't live in Mexico, how did it end up being there.

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks a little dwarfish to me...

But I had more to add than my expert opinion... ;)

This is a great thread in terms of IDing, and for just high quality posting.

A real tarantula, found in the wild, with locale, and pics showing the locale.

I hope you get your ID!

And damn, I wish I lived there. :)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
iirc Fabian Vol collected a Davus fasciatus "lookalike" in Veracruz Mexico, there's a good chance this could be one of them.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sheri said:
It looks a little dwarfish to me...

But I had more to add than my expert opinion... ;)

This is a great thread in terms of IDing, and for just high quality posting.

A real tarantula, found in the wild, with locale, and pics showing the locale.

I hope you get your ID!

And damn, I wish I lived there. :)
I forgot to mention that between those tiles I also found a tailless whip spider :) I heard that they are quite fragile, so I decided not to take it with me :)
So it was like a little pet shop :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Davus fasciatus (C. fasciatum)
When did the name change occur? I don'r recall hearing about it, but have seen the "new" name several times now. Just curious.

BTW, I can't offer anything different than what has already been offered as far as the ID is concerned.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
When did the name change occur? I don'r recall hearing about it, but have seen the "new" name several times now. Just curious.
  • SCHMIDT, G. (2005): Die Gattung Davus O.P. - CAMBRIDGE, 1892 (Arachnida: Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Tarantulas of the World 104: 7-18.

all the best,
Martin

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
  • SCHMIDT, G. (2005): Die Gattung Davus O.P. - CAMBRIDGE, 1892 (Arachnida: Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae). Tarantulas of the World 104: 7-18.

all the best,
Martin
Martin!!! You finally got that popcorn! ;)

Thanks for the info, now I have to change MORE cage labels! I thought I could take a rest after the Aphonopelma/Brachyeplma verdezi thing. I think from now on, I will just leave a blank line under the sci name for the revisions to come! :eek: