Scolopendra subspinipes eating (C. vittatus)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
certainly more unusual than seeing it eat an A. domestica ;P

GATORGAR56K

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is the same machete from waterwolves, i was told not to let my emperor get near your pedes :}

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice, clear, crisp pictures. Really good resolution. Nice shot ....would have liked to have seen a full shot of the centipede too. I've never had one of those but plan on it. Just fed a S. h. castaneiceps one of those that was missing part of a leg. I'm mailing the other scorps. Found two more today by accident. So I got rid of an injured one. Anyway, it stung the centipede. Easy to tell where. It just made the pede more aggressive and it chased the scorp down. The pedes handle the venom well. The area twitched for a while but that's it. I wonder how there bodies handle that sting.

Last edited:

Wisdom16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damn Machete, you could have sent the C. vittatus to me... :}

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im sure theres lots of other thing for feeding a pede... but the picture are awesome

Greaper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont wanna sound like a jerk, but why would you do that?

TheMachete

Arachnopeon
Greaper said:
I dont wanna sound like a jerk, but why would you do that?

why not? Is the scorpion any different then a cricket?

Where I live, C.vittatus are very common. They are in peoples houses and yards. When I find one in the house, it is food for a number of my pets. I dont see a problem with it at all. If for some reason these pics offend, I will stop posting them. No big deal.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
being a scorp guy, i'll say that i think it's kind of sad to see a scorp being used as a feeder. Although i understand that they are a "pest" species where you live and can fully accept the fact you will use them as feeders when they intrude into your home.

It is a cool pic, though.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow those are awsome pics :eek: I've never seen the business end of a pede up close before, thanks for sharing :D

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Machete :evil: :mad: It is sad for me, scorpions are not food are nice creatures for keep and breed. This image hurt me.

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Machete, those are stunning pictures. I completely agree, if it is acceptable to feed crickets or other invertebrates to predators than it is acceptable to feed common scorpions to predators. In my eyes it is not morally wrong to feed off common animals. I wouldn't hesitate to feed off dogs, cats or even chimps if I could figure out an equally effecient way to raise them the same as I raise my mice and rat colonies. Keep the pictures coming, don't listen to these other bleeding hearts.

Billdolfski

Arachnopeon
Nature's rough. You could argue that it's not natural, because it was offered... but, I say, if the predator took it... it's natural enough.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In his defence, he DID post it in the myriapod forum and not the scorpion forum.

Amazing pic. It's so cool to see the business end of the centipede up close and in action.

Keep up the good work

TheMachete

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. I dont want to start any trouble, just showing some pics. I would think that scorpions make up some of the diet of wild scolopendra.
Anyway, here is one from today, look how you can see one of the mandibles pierce all the way threw the body of the scorpion.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like scorpions too. But I feed S. h. castaneiceps and S. h. heros C. vittatus every once in while too. They share the same territory where I live and chase down these scorpions like anybody's favorite food. C. vittatus is very prolific here. They are a "weed" scorpion around here. But they are interesting. Just so many of them. I have been stung allot. I find them in my house pretty often. I don't let them go. I mail them to people that don't have them around and want one or two, or feed it to my centipedes. The centipedes I have get stung and just shake it off, rub the area with a leg, groom it for about 15 seconds and move on. It's amazing how they can blow off a sting. Evolved to adapt to the sting while capturing these for food is my guess. These scorpions run as fast as they can away from a pede as soon as they touch it. And if they can't escape, they freeze. Instinct. A predator and prey relationship that has gone on for millennia comes to my mind. I haven't seen these scorpions behave quite like this around any other arthropod. I feel like I'm getting more interested in scorpions. They are VERY interesting. I've kept them before but it's really coming home to me now. Especially since I found this forum. I plan on getting a few. I saw one that caught my attention on the internet...Parabuthus transvaalicus. Are these available in the US? I guess the scorp forum is a better place to ask.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you love animals you will never catch wild animals to feed your pedes. It is inmoral and non ecological. But it seems that for you and other people is not important. We live in a world where the life is the most important thing. Respect the wild life. If you want give scorps or other animals to your pede, better if you buy it. Breed c. vittatus and after that give it to your pedes, but never go to catch bugs to feed your pedes. Buy it!! It is heathy, moral ecological and cheep.

But like always, do what you want. I preffer respect the things I love.

No only in this hobby is get the better and awsome pictures. Be a human and no a beast without brain.

( My action try to give a lessens to protect nature, not to make angry anybody. Sorry If i've too rude)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Androctonus_bic said:
If you love animals you will never catch wild animals to feed your pedes. It is inmoral and non ecological. But it seems that for you and other people is not important. We live in a world where the life is the most important thing. Respect the wild life. If you want give scorps or other animals to your pede, better if you buy it. Breed c. vittatus and after that give it to your pedes, but never go to catch bugs to feed your pedes. Buy it!! It is heathy, moral ecological and cheep.

No only in this hobby is get the better and awsome pictures. Be a human and no a beast without brain.

( My action try to give a lessens to protect nature, not to make angry anybody. Sorry If i've too rude)

Yea, I understand your point of view and don't think you're being rude. I like to catch natural foods in my backyard and by my porch light. I've had some big problems with buying crickets and mealworms that are infested with mites from the pet stores around here. I don't trust their product anymore. I should breed my own crickets.

And sorry I got of the topic thread. I too would like to know how big that centipede is. I don't know how big that scorpion is but it makes that centipede look fairly large. How big?

TheMachete

Arachnopeon
Androctonus_bic said:
If you love animals you will never catch wild

You dont want to be rude, yet in one sentence, you tell me to be a "human" and not a "beast without a brain"? Ok.

So by your "logic" (For lack of a better word) You do not harm nature? Do you kill flys that are in your house? mosquitos that land on you? Ants? Roaches? Or is it only the things you "love" that are worthy of life?

I promise, those were the last feeding pics I post.