Spider Bite

matty J

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a P.regalis and have come to find out it has a strong venom for a tarantula and it got me thinking. What if I get bite but this thing or any of my other T's????
I guess I'm wondering what do you do once you've been bitten?? Call the doctor, poisoncontrol???????? or is there just something you do at home to nurse the bite???
Thanks again guys!!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Using common sense and having respect for any invert that you're keeping will lower your chances of getting bitten.

I suggest you read the bite reports. That will tell you what others have done.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Visit this Site

If you haven't visited a web site called Phong's Tarantulas. Just do a search
on it it will come up right away. He has an extensive report on a Pokey bite.
You will need tongs to clean cage with and a tight fitting lid on it.

DaleGribble

Arachnopeon
There are no antivenins for T bites (is a funnel web considered a T?). If you go to the hospital for a bad bite, like a pokie, they will usually give you pain meds and maybe an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) and tell you to let it ride its course. Although systemic effects (sweating, cramps, dizziness, spasms) are possible with more potent venoms, they usually follow hours after the bite. If you notice these early on it could be an allergic reaction and you should go to the hospital.
This is about what I've surmised from everything I have ever read on T bites.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
matty J said:
I just got a P.regalis and have come to find out it has a strong venom for a tarantula and it got me thinking. What if I get bite but this thing or any of my other T's????
that's why you research a species before you acquire it...none of these nasty surprises :)

Pokies, Heteroscodra, Pterinochilus (OBT's i know, not sure about lugardis and all), and Stromatopelma are all thought to have possible medically significant venom....for future reference :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Add at least Haplopelma lividum to that. According to the bite reports you get pretty evil effects of a bite.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
edesign said:
that's why you research a species before you acquire it...none of these nasty surprises :)

Pokies, Heteroscodra, Pterinochilus (OBT's i know, not sure about lugardis and all), and Stromatopelma are all thought to have possible medically significant venom....for future reference :)
Much agreed, blows my mind how some people buy T's without knowing a thing about them, it's not like it is a hidden fact that they have one of the stronger venoms? :confused: Greg

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lets not go overboard here, none of these spiders produce anything beyond pain & muscle cramps unless you happen to be allergic to their venom, that doesn't mean you'll enjoy being bitten, but you won't die.
Even so, you should always know what your buying before it arrives at your home, theres plenty of information available to make that easy.

matty J

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well i knew that it had strong venom. I just don't know what to do if it were to bite me. I'm very careful and rarely have any of my diggits in the cage. I just wondered if there was anything special I need to know with spider bites in general!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard (word of mouth, so don't get too pissed) from one of the members of this site that one man almost died from a P. Ornata bite. Don't quite know if it's true, though.

If you give P. Regalis due respect and use long tweezers you'll be fine. Make sure your enclosure has a tight lid; they are great escape artists.

P. Regalis is one of the most beautiful Ts I have ever seen. Congratulations on your purchase.

Can we see Pics?

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like I said, unless your unlucky & allergic theres not much to do for them... I've heard of people using venom-extractors (usually sold for snake bites) on them but I think the best thing to do take some ibuprofen and suck it up in most cases.

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lets just say I'm skeptical unless the guy was allergic... some Centipedes & Scorps have a much more potent sting then any T and even then if your a healthy adult & have modern healthcare available your extremely unlikely to die from a bite/sting.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Since you said it three times now Captante, I thought I'd say it once... in form of a quote ;)

Crotalus said:
No such thing as allergic response from a t bite...

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Since you said it three times now Captante, I thought I'd say it once... in form of a quote ;)
I very much respect the person that said that but I can not disagree with it more, venom is a foreign matter going in your system how can there be no such thing as a allergic reaction to it? Maybe I am wrong here but I don't see how I can be with all the stupid little things that some people are allergic to... Greg

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but I'd have to agree that saying no one is allergic to any spider venom is quite a stretch considering how little research has been done on the subject & I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If You're worried keep an EpiPen handy

If you're worried about a reaction to T venom then be on the safe side and keep an EpiPen handy. It has one metered dose of epinephrine and is automatically injected even through clothing. These can be expensive but if you're worried it will give you peace of mind.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
An epi-pen isn't something that you want to use just whenever and they have to be prescribed by a doctor.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T bites are rare too

I have several EpiPens around all the time and while they requirea prescription its not a problem in Canada. Also side effects from Epipen are much rarer than that from T bite. I my former profession we were always instructed to use the pen 1st & make the emergency contacts later. I have experience with their use and have never seen a bad side-effect. I can't say the same about an allergic reaction.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Well since I'm no expert either but know somewhat what Lelle is going for I simply trust his point, jugdement and expertise.

Obviously everybody should be cautious, allergy or not, or whether it's a Grammostola or a pokie. But to go back to the thing I remember, it's that the venom simply has a the completely wrong make to cause an allergic reaction in humans. I'm sorry, I can't elaborate this, maybe the man himself can make an appearance here and explain the background to his knowlage (I'll ask him to check this out :) )

You can also think of it in another way - venom if injested causes a completely different reaction (often none) in comparison to when it enters our bloodstream directly.

But this is sadly all I come up with. Not being a venom expert I can only try and apply common sense.

I'll gladly stand corrected if someone can prove me wrong or make more sense. And I also hope I havn't misunderstood anything on my way here!

Last edited: