California Mature Male T –got Lost

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Calistoga Spider?? was: California Mature Male T –got Lost

:? ***I orriginally posted this in the Tarantula section. I thought it was a T but was corrected by esmoot. Does anyone have any information on this guy. He was found in the California Bay Area near the Santa Cruz foothills. I can't find any reference to Calistoga spider. Thanks for any info... ****

I found this guy last night in our living room. Our guest, sleeping on the couch, called me out of my room at a half past midnight. The cats had tried to do a number on it but we managed to save it with the only apparent damage being a break on leg three. At first I thought it was one of mine that had either escaped or had been assaulted out of its enclosure by our pride of five cats, but thankfully this was not the case. So with a nights sleep in a deli cup and a quick photo-session its ready for release. We’ll be letting it continue its journey once my girlfriend gets back from class…

Attachments

Last edited:

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not a t but a Calistoga spider. It's mating time for them about now.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So here’s what I have found on this guy. Please, if anyone has any supportive or contradictory information, post it here, thanks. I could not find any reference to Calistoga spider, however I did find Calisoga. And thanks for Steve Lew’s comments to me regarding this guy I think it can be narrowed down to Calisoga longitarsus, (also referred to in some literature as Brachythele longitarsus). A common name reference that I got was ‘Funnel-web tarantula.’ Though not Theriphosidae, this spider is placed within the broader family Mygalomorphae, and as I understand could still be referred to as a tarantula (so maybe this post didn’t need to be moved?).

I also want to thank Eric for pointing me in the correct direction.

Please post any support or contradiction to this assessment. I appreciate the help.

--Chris

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, it has the spur things that a male T would have, I've never noticed that on a non-tarantula spider.