The real birdeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi people

my friend decided to offer a bird nestling for his bird spider
I won't speak anything else, the pictures speak by itself...

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Why????????????????????????
An experiment to see how many ppl post “Congrats nice pic” or “unggg you monster” would be my guess Mr Backer, stimulus response and all that.

Or the Fallen Angels promised to reveal unto him dark secrets of eldritch might if he fed the spider the bird, but i would put money on the first one.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is......not right.

and was the pic of what that bird looked like afterwards necessary?

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
personaly i think if a female is gravid and needs the nutrients from a bird or mouse or whatever, then it's kind of ok, but just feeding it things like that just because you can, saddens me a little

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Camberwell said:
personaly i think if a female is gravid and needs the nutrients from a bird or mouse or whatever, then it's kind of ok, but just feeding it things like that just because you can, saddens me a little
A gravid female will do just fine eating strictly invertebrates. For a bigger meal, a large roach or locust does nicely.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
becca81 said:
A gravid female will do just fine eating strictly invertebrates. For a bigger meal, a large roach or locust does nicely.
there, that is kinda my point, even a gravid female can do fine without warm blooded creatures in their diet.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's impressive. Good for her!

What kind of T is that anyway? It's a beauty!

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have only read about it. Now I have seen it…

That’s crazy! :eek:

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi people

It is a Grammostola grossa, she is not pregnant
but my friend will be matting her today or tomorrow...

a good food is necessary to sucessfuly matting..

thank all for praises...

and a "doesn't understand the why of the critics", for the ones that didn't like, are not this spiders called birdeater??

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
TheDarkness said:
and a "doesn't understand the why of the critics", for the ones that didn't like, are not this spiders called birdeater??
They are called "bird eating spiders" because of an artist many years ago that saw an Avicularia spp. eating a bird and did some type of art piece of it. When people saw the carving, the term "birdeater" or "bird-eating spider" was born. They are known as "bird eating spiders" in South America and "Baboon Spiders" in Africa, just as we know them as "tarantulas." It certainly doesn't mean, however, that we must feed them birds. ;)

Being arboreal, I can understand an Avicularia spp. occasionally preying on a bird. However, it is well-known that the majority of a tarantula's diet is small invertebrates.

Stefan-V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO theres nothing wrong with feeding the Tarantula with a bird. It's nothing different from feeding it a mouse or lizard.:? Instead of criticizing it, we should just say: "nice T'" or "he must have been pretty pissed because his abdomen looks bald".
If people have fun feeding stuff to their pets or want to experiment and are proud of it, leave them by that. If you think you can do better, just do it and don't ruin the fun for others. Someday you'll want to post something and you don't want to be yelled at and criticized either.:embarrassed:

Stefan-V

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dorian said:
@becca81,

in the german speakers area the T's are called "Vogelspinnen" (Birdspiders).
This name is originated from this picture :

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/bib/entdeckt/img/taf18_g.jpg
Look on the bottom left.

There you can see the picture of a T that is eating a bird.
The picture was created from Maria Sibylla Merian in the year 1705.
That's the one! Thank you. :)

Isn't it a wood carving or something of the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.