Sphodros niger photoshoot

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is my fat little girl after I changed her enclosure today. She has grown a lotsince the last time I unearthed her. Enjoy :)

peace,

Bobby

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you get that? Those are the most feresome fangs I have ever seen :eek::eek:

Last edited:

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found her after long hours of searching in western Kentucky. She had her tube in a stream bank attached to a Christmas fern. The pictures look pretty fearsome but she is only a little squirt. This is an older pic of her so you can see her size.

Bobby

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
she's cute!!! but geez, those fangs are as long as her legs are!

cool...

Chris

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pics of an impressive spider, Bobby. Congrats on finding her as well. I spent a bit of time last spring and summer looking for a couple Sphodros spp. around here with no luck. Can't wait for spring to get here so I can get out and look some more.

Have you ever been able to breed any Sphodros spp.?

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know first hand how frustrating it can be to look for these guys. Don't give up though. How close are you to the west campus of theUniversity of Kansas?
If you are veryclose there is a journal article that pretty much pinpoints the location of a group of Sphodros fitchi. If you want more info on this article pm me and I'll get it to you.

peace,
Bobby

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
If you are veryclose there is a journal article that pretty much pinpoints the location of a group of Sphodros fitchi. If you want more info on this article pm me and I'll get it to you.

peace,
Bobby
I think I'm a couple hours away from the west campus. Curious to see if S. fitchi is found around here (Manhattan).

Thanks for the offer but I think I have the paper you mention (spiderling dispersal, Cutler & Guarisco?). Good stuff in it. Will be looking for a couple other papers at the K State library soon.

Once again, great pics. Very cool little spiders.

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
confused little girl

Ok, since I have moved her to a new and larger enclosure my little girl seems a bit confused. She has spun a sheet web and runs across it like a funnel web (which is pretty cool to see)! This has me a little bit worried though, since it is not normal behavior. She is eating though which is good.

peace,
Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
angry little spider

i decided to make another starter burrow for her. She happily went in and started working on her new tube but she was pretty pissed off none the less.
enjoy the pics.

peace,
Bobby

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perhaps too moist, Shes adapting to the fact that she hasn't found a suitable funnel location yet, give her time she'll settle in. Its one of those "Well if I see no place to put a house, I'll make a tent and lay on the grass"

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It might be that it is too moist but I doubt it. Her new enclusure is no more damp than her last ones. Since I have taken those pics she has already built her new tube.

bobby