anyone ever had a millie "chew" on you?

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I pulled out a texas millipede out of its cage,and it crawled around in my hands for a few,then stopped half wrapped on my index finger. Well then it literately started "chewing" on my finger, and moving down my finger as it did it,and leaving a "wet line" of secretion from it's mout while it did it.I never had one do something like this,it was truly like it was mad at me for disturbing it and just chomped away.

hinterwelle

Arachnopeon
I've got a female giant african millipede that will bite me pretty hard. Almost everything I've read says they cant bite, but I beg to differ. She also squirts that yellow stuff on me. None of my other pedes have done any of this though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea, hehe, kind of made me uncomfortable because I felt like it just hadn't gotten a good grip with it's mouth parts. But I really don't know what the mouth parts look like on a milli. I'm guessing I didn't have anything to worry about. It makes sense that they would have some kind of "scraping" mouth parts that scrape like a snail or slug does, but two of them:? . I don't know. How do the mouth parts work on a milli?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My girl bit me a while ago, well, it was more like chewing. Then I asked why and i got the response that they were probably doing that to get some nutrients that their food wasnt providing. So i put in a pinkie and it alone she practically devoured the whole thing within a week. Hasnt chewed me since, and their feeding schedule will from now on contain an occasional pinkie. :)

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this might be a stupid question,but I asume you are talking about a dead pinkie,right? I wouldnt think they would chew one squirming. I do have some frozen....Hmmmnnnn...

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, a f/t pinkie. That would be an excruciatingly slow and painful death, i couldnt do that to a live pinkie. Just thaw one out and toss it in.

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I plan on it...I was wondering if it was scraping skin trying to eat.Hey snipes,did you see my local flat millies? The thread is on here

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, it probably go some nutrients off ur skin. Reminds me of in the summer when wading in the water, if i stay still long enough those little crabs will come up on my feet and start picking me. Its amusing: "They're eating me?!"
I did see ur thread on the millis. I do love millies, but i am more interested in finding a male for my (now 3 sigh :rolleyes: ) females. And my corn snake died this morning :( so i am going to be getting one soon, so i am trying (and failing lol) to conserve some money.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
incidentily, it takes a African Giant Blac milli (~7"BL, yours, in point of fact fin) about 15 minutes to chew threw my hand skin. it actually made me bleed... it was quite funny.

ha, you're getting a man eating MILLLIpede.

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, once I get him I guess now I know what to do with annoying people...."here hold my millie man"..(15 mins later screams of pain and fear!) it woont bite!!!

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
quite funny i was going to post this same exact question last night.

During work i decided to drop by a reptile shop in rancho cucamonga, and asked if they had millipedes, they said no, i walked to my car for my next call, and all of a sudden i see an employee running to my car "We do, we do"
i walked back in, and he said sorry and showed me the stuff...

8 baby "texas millipedes" well not babies, more juveniles. I took 6 of them, the substrate they had them in was bone dry. I wanted to take all 8 but that would come close to 40 dllrs. So i took them home, and picked one up by scraping one with my pinkie finger, and the milli started gnawing on me, im like WTF millipedes arent supposed to do this, ive heard throughout the internet, that they are harmless. i then had a flashback of seeing them in a bone dry enviroment at the petshop and can only imagine that they havent ate in a longgg time. I gave them some pieces of grapes, and about 20 minutes later, i see all the millis wrapped around the grape pieces.

So probably, they were hungry? my milli i picked up didnt move down a line while gnawing on my skin, just stood in stationary position as if he/she trying to eat anything.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
The only place I have actually had one break the skin was in between my fingers. I didn't notice she was chewing on me until that point. I freaked out and dropped her on the carpet, where she made a feeble attempt to run away......If only she was faster.....

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8 texas millies for $40?? I wish I could get that lucky....

Kasha

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My big boy (AGB) has nibbled on me, but only after I handled food. He does seem to nibble more on the hubby. Have never had one break the skin. I know that they will eat another decomposing bug if they find one, but I can't bring myself to put in anything other veggies and fruits.
As for secreting, I have never had my AGBs do that. They only poop on me when I have been holding them for a while. Still icks me out!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think millipedes will nibble on anything, finger nibbles aren't uncommon. Just consider that they are detribous feeders, and being so, they eat about anything they walk over tasting it and deciding whether or not to eat more of it. Watch though about adding animal proteins to their diet though... The millipedes have to have moisture, and the nasty tiny white pest mites love the same conditions, and feeding even dogfood without removing it can cause a terrible infestation of mites. My millipedes are purely vegan because if this... A pinky, well, take the milli out and put in a deli cup and try it, but I would not let one lay in the enclosure for any amount of time