Unknown Ornithoctonus from asia

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

an unknown and still undescribed Ornithoctonus from somewhere in asia:

It looks a little bit like Haplopelma schmidti but is has nothing in common with that Species. Taxonomically it is mostly related to Ornithoctonus andersoni and Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, so I suppose that this Specimen was collected somewhere between north Malaysia and south Thailand!

Cheers, Volker

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Volker,
Stunning and very interesting spider! How large is this specimen?? And do you have others to work on breeding??

Cheers,
Steve

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

see the picture below, maybe it works now.

@Steve:

It's a medium sized one. It has a bodylength of 4 cm. at the moment I have a cocon from a very small Ornithoctonus Species from Koh Samui (Thailand). It looks identical to Ornithoctonus aureotibialis but it has only a bodylength of 2,5 cm. It was not possible to mate it with usual Orn. aureotibialis, so I think that it could be a new Species.

Cheers, Volker

Pandora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh! Very beautiful T! Looks like O.aureotibialis+Lampropelma or some one.
Maybe you will have described this sp. in the future? :)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pandora said:
Oh! Very beautiful T! Looks like O.aureotibialis+Lampropelma or some one.
Maybe you will have described this sp. in the future? :)
Hi Viktoria,

no, this Species has nothing to do with the real Lampropelma violaceopes ( There are a lot of evidences that the real Lampr. viol. is a Cyriopagopus in reality, maybe the blue one). It is next related to Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, although it is very clear that it is another Species than O. aureot.. Unfortunately I only know this one single female which is in my collection and there is no nearer distribution area known than "Asia" for that specimen. As long as I don't receive more Material from that Species and as long as I don't know the exact locality of this Species, I won't describe it of course! But you are right, it's a beautiful one!

With best wishes, Volker

Pandora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Volker!
L. viol. is a Cyrio? It's interesting!
Can You post more photo (the bigger size) of your new spider?
How you think, this female will grow hereinafter? And how you keep her?

Everetty

Arachnopeon
Hi Volker,
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi,

see the picture below, maybe it works now.

@Steve:

It's a medium sized one. It has a bodylength of 4 cm. at the moment I have a cocon from a very small Ornithoctonus Species from Koh Samui (Thailand). It looks identical to Ornithoctonus aureotibialis but it has only a bodylength of 2,5 cm. It was not possible to mate it with usual Orn. aureotibialis, so I think that it could be a new Species.

Cheers, Volker
is the species in this Thread the same you are talking about?

cheers
Gordon

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
L. viol. is a Cyrio? It's interesting!
Pandora,

Please note Volker is refering to what was actually described as L. violaceopes by Abraham... not the specimens being improperly sold as such now.... which I guess should just be labeled Ornithoctoninae sp. until a future publication by von Wirth & Striffler puts a name to it!

Well, you can read a very interesting discussion on this matter by CLICKING HERE.

Volker,

Even though you can't examine the Typematerial for Haplopelma robustum because of it being lost/destroyed, do you think the hobby "L. violaceopes" could be that species? Eh, I guess it's pointless really since it's just speculation.

Considering you've had the chance to examine the Holotype of Lampropelma violaceopes (Well, I'm assuming you have... since in the thread linked to above you mentioned in was deposited in the BMNH and you would be examining it soon)... you feel it's a Cyriopagopus, but not neccessarily the "blue" one? Or just not enough evidence yet to say for sure it's the "blue" one?

Eric

Last edited:

Everetty

Arachnopeon
Hey Eric,

Even though you can't examine the Typematerial for Haplopelma robustum because of it being lost/destroyed, do you think the hobby "L. violaceopes" could be that species? Eh, I guess it's pointless really since it's just speculation.
I’m not Volker but, who can anyone tell that the pettrade “Lampro. violaceopes”/ Ornithoctoninae sp. “Malaysia” is realy or maybe Haplo. robustum without examine the Holotype ? ;)

cheers
Gordon

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’m not Volker but, who can anyone tell that the pettrade “Lampro. violaceopes”/ Ornithoctoninae sp. “Malaysia” is realy or maybe Haplo. robustum without examine the Holotype ?
Hi Gordon,

No... they can't... which is why I called my own question pointless.

Just looking for some insightful speculation I guess. I know it doesn't matter at this point, but just curious.

Eric

Last edited:

Pandora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys!

Eric,
thank you for the reference, I'll read certainly.

Volker,
what may to say about similarity of this new sp. to O.costalis? As for me they have similar exterior, but as far as I know, they differ in the size.

Last edited:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

sorry for answering so late, but I was on a lecture trip in the northern part of germany.

@Viktoria:

Unfortunately I haven't any larger picture of that Specimen. The female is dead for a long time now and has now a cage full of Alcohol!{D
It was an adult female and had reached her maximum bodysize, because in the last Years I've kept her, she only moulted one time in two Years, so I suppose it was a very old female.
This unknown Ornithoctonus Species has not much in common with Ornithoctonus costalis. O. costalis is much darker in coloration (s. picture below) and Ornith. costalis hasn't spines above the Sutur of Maxillae, whereas this is the case in the species shown above.

@Gordon:

No, the Species in the Thread you've mentioned is another Ornithoctonus from Koh Samui, which is VERY near related to the recently described Ornithoc. aureotibilis, but with the difference that this Species from Koh Samui is very small (only 2,5 - 3 cm Bodysize in adult females). It has some taxonomically differences to the Species which is shown above.

@Michael:

There are some evidences given in the original description concerning Hapl. robustum from Strand, that makes me feel that Hapl. robustum was in reality a member of Ornithoctonus or an Ornithoctonus related Genus (like Cyriopagopus or Lampropelma), because Strand described strong spines above the Sutur on Maxillae, and this character is very untypical for Haplopelma, but mostly the case in the Ornithoctonus related genera. Also the spination of the rear legs is untypical for a real Haplopelma, which ever have more than 9 Spines on Met. IV. The Ornithoctonus related groups doesn't possess more than 6 Spines on Met. IV! So, I' really sure that Haplopelma robustum is NOT a Haplopelma, but I can't tell to which genus it belongs to!
The same case with Abraham and Lampropelma violaceopes. There are given some indications in the original description from which I'm sure that Lampropelma violaceopes belongs to Cyriopagopus, but I can't tell for sure whether it is the Cyriopagopus sp. "blue". We will see after I've examined the Type Specimen. BTW, a good overview about the characters by which the asian Theraphosidae can be distinguished, will given with the lecture from me during the ArachnoCon 2006 in San Antonio/Texas!;)

Cheers, Volker

Last edited by a moderator:

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Volker
We have some eggs in the incubator with some eggs with legs of the species from Koh Samui. They are a very nice species. Our female was WC from our friend Steve McIntyre who found the spiders. We noticed some some differences in the Koh Samui male to the Ornithoc. aureotibilis. We have a picture that isnt ours so I can show you on PM or email if you like. I belive Steve had the first CB sac of this species that we know of this year but unfortunatley the female decided to have a snack on it.
Look forward to reading more about both spiders.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

yes, I know your Material from Koh Samui. It's not neccessary to send pictures. Steve gave me a female last Year. In the meantime I was able to organize some more Material from that Species from a german friend who was in Koh Samui almost at the same time when Steve was there. He brought back some males as well, so I know how they look like (maybe you mean the coloration of the cephalic region as different to Orn. aureotibialis). I've mated three of my females and actually I possess one very huge and good looking cocon. I'm of good hope that I will have Babys in 7 Weeks (then I will take the cocon away).

Cheers, Volker

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We have a juvenile male so hope to do some future breeding also. I wish you all the luck with the breedings.
the cephalic region ? Sorry I am not familiar with this are you talking about the carapace? We noticed the abdominal markings were different is all. I dont think Steve was aware you had any others (or had seen a male). So its good you have. He hasnt come across many males I dont think but is sure to have some in his slings. Hopefully thess spiders can be bred more and become properly available as I think its lovely.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

I didn't recognised any important difference in the abdominal markings between Ornith. aureotibialis and the Koh Samui Species. I've recognized that the cephalic region (area round the eyetubercle) was darker in the Koh Samui Species. It has almost a dark triangle there. Before some minutes ago I'd take a look to the other mated female of the Koh Samui Species and she also has a beautiful cocon now.:clap:

Cheers, Volker