Pterinochilus Chordatus Info

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey. I've had a P.Chordatus now for about 4-5 months its about 3-4". I was wondering if anybody knew Anything about this T? This could be venom potency, mature adult size or general care. Im asking becuase no matter how hard i look, i just can't find anything on the net at all relating to this species. Any info would be appreciated
thanks
tom

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd care for it just like P. murinus. I would consider the venom of any OW species to be considered "hot"(for a tarantula) as a safety precaution but I havn't seen any bite reports to confirm or deny that either way for this specific species.

http://www.baboonspiders.de/html_en/genera_pterinochilus.html
http://giantspiders.com/Pterinochilus_species.html
http://www.eightlegs.org/general/species.html#harp
http://terrarystyka.pl/gatunki.php?id=20020729183623

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/strid-P.chordatus.htm

panamarex

Arachnopeon
Chordatus

I have all three sub species of Pterinochilus, Murinus, Lugardi and a Chordactus. Of the three my chordatus female is the most active. She hasn't made an elaborate burrow or web. She seems content with a shallow pit and makes a web mat on the floor around her pit. She's mainly active in dim lighting or at night, but is active during the day as well. On the aggressive side she's the most aggressive of the three with the Murinus a close second. She seems to be stimulated by eating and makes her webbing mat shortly after she has consumed her pray. My Murinus on the other hand thinks she's a trapdoor spider. She's make a tunnel complete with a trapdoor made of sub-strait and webbing. She lies in wait under her door and springs out onto her pray. She's mainly active at night. Now my Lugardi is the most mellow of the three. She has made a elaborate burrow silk lined with a trapdoor. She does not spring out like the Murinus but comes out of her burrow and hunts at night the takes her prey back to her burrow. All three of these tarantulas are very fast so caution when dealing with them. I think it's cool to be able to see all three of them and how similar and different they are. I would recommend getting the other subspecies all in all they are very easy to care for. Rob

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have all three sub species of Pterinochilus, Murinus, Lugardi and a Chordactus. Of the three my chordatus female is the most active. She hasn't made an elaborate burrow or web. She seems content with a shallow pit and makes a web mat on the floor around her pit. She's mainly active in dim lighting or at night, but is active during the day as well. On the aggressive side she's the most aggressive of the three with the Murinus a close second. She seems to be stimulated by eating and makes her webbing mat shortly after she has consumed her pray. My Murinus on the other hand thinks she's a trapdoor spider. She's make a tunnel complete with a trapdoor made of sub-strait and webbing. She lies in wait under her door and springs out onto her pray. She's mainly active at night. Now my Lugardi is the most mellow of the three. She has made a elaborate burrow silk lined with a trapdoor. She does not spring out like the Murinus but comes out of her burrow and hunts at night the takes her prey back to her burrow. All three of these tarantulas are very fast so caution when dealing with them. I think it's cool to be able to see all three of them and how similar and different they are. I would recommend getting the other subspecies all in all they are very easy to care for. Rob
Very helpful, but it would have been more so had you posted in 2006.

Sorry...couldn't resist ;)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great post about some great spiders, but just because I have to: P. chordatus, P. murinus and P. lugardi are all separate species within the genus Pterinochilus. The taxonomic rank of subspecies is below species. Also, there are more species within the genus, just not commonly (are they in the hobby at all?) available. I personally love the Pterinochilus genus. I wish they were more common outside of OBTs.

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just because I have to: P. chordatus, P. murinus and P. lugardi are all separate species within the genus Pterinochilus. The taxonomic rank of subspecies is below species.
Wow, how did I miss that? Exactly right.

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really, a proper trapdoor and do you by any chance have photos of that?