p. murinus sling color

HimmelBOMB

Arachnopeon
when does the p. murinus sling change color to orange. mine is approx. 3/4" and is mostly black from what i can usually see of it.

thanks
d

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most seem to attain adult coloration at around an inch or more. Don't worry, yours will be orange shortly:D

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and also is it a definate (RCF) or usumbara form of P.murinus?

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also have a P. murinus RCF sling , it is 1" now and has an orange abdomen but still darker legs.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
my 2 little monsters molted to the ~1" mark and have a nice (though kinda dark) orange abdomen, but the rest of it looks a bit darker. if you look close and there is enough light, you can see orange on the carapace, and orange hairs on the legs...especially with a flashlight. but i figure one more molt and it should be nice and orange.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it looks like that, its a Pterinochilus murinus

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stooka said:
and also is it a definate (RCF) or usumbara form of P.murinus?
This is the second time I've seen this. Is there really a difference between the two? How would you know which is which? My adult P. murinus (which is orange) was bought from the pet shop as starburst baboon. How would I know if it is RCF or if it is Usambara? My sling I got from Swift invert was labled as Usambar Baboon. He even says its from the usambara mountains of Kenya and Tanzania in the spider description. Thanks in advance.

tima

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HimmelBOMB said:
looks just like that, will it turn all orange or just get bigger.
Spiderlings will always change colour as they get bigger. Brachypelma slings are mostly sort of pink, with a large black spot on the abdomen, but grow into the beautiful creatures that most of us know, or have seen. My P. murinus sling looks much like Kirdec's (at about 0.75"), so I'm looking forward to it's maturation (seems to be in premoult -- isn't taking food), and seeing the colour change.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
RCF and usambara are pretty much synonymous. Shops/dealers will list them as one or the other usually. At one time time the Usambara color variant (aka Red color Form RCF) was thought possibly to be a different species hence sometimes listed as Pterinochlus sp. usambara.

On Rick Wests site there are four color forms of P.murinus
Normal
Dark
Kalahari
Usambara(Orange/RCF)

The RCF form is the most common in the US, there are also normal ones out there. I don't think there are any dark or Kalahari forms available in the US (could be wrong though)

Yours will lighten in color with each molt until you se the orange color unless you have a normal color form where they tend to be brownish.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Now I want to collect them all!!!

Have any cross-breeding studies been done among the color forms? I know that cross-bred brown and rcf chilean roses can produce mixed sacs. I would really be interested to see a mixed-bag egg sac.