Giant Centipede Handing... VIDEOS!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In an effort to further demonstrate that centipedes rarely are the monsters so many people love to believe they are... VIDEOS!

Smith Almost Hand Eats a Lobster Roach nymph
Smith, my favorite Ethmostigmus species giant centipede almost eats a lobster cockroach nymph, while i am holding both

Smith Almost Hand Eats a mealworm
Smith, my favorite Ethmostigmus species giant centipede almost eats a mealworm, while i am holding both in my hand

grab a "Black headed Tanzanian tiger centipede"
grab a "Black headed Tanzanian tiger centipede" to free handle. this is NOT normally the way i would start to free handle, but i think/hope this species might be among the more docile of the "giant" centipedes

rough Ethmostigmus grab
rough Ethmostigmus grab, it is HARD to make these things mad!

sooo.... how sure am i that my trigos are "safe"? am i sure enough to say... let it run around on my face?
yup!
part1
part2
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "bluering centipede" walks around my ugly mug.
by the way, the faces i'm making are cuz it tickles unbelievably. also note, my face itched slightly afterwards, i think from having Smith's legs punch through a few layers of skin

badsound_RedHead_Tanzanian_Tiger_grab.3gp
grab a RedHead_Tanzanian_Tiger
bad sound! it sounds like a hurricane or something... and i do NOT recall having any hurricanes in my bedroom. er... wait a minute

handling_subspinipes01.3gp
handling a giant Vietnamese centipede!?

Scolopendra subspinipes have one of the most potent centibites out there!

am i really going to free handle?

loudsound_S_polymorpha_handle_and_bite.3gp
i pick up Crankypants and get bit again

this is actually a "mean" centipede... bite first and ask questions later!

you play the game long enough... you pay the price.. ESPECIALLY when you are playing with Crankypants! this is the Scolopendra polymorpha that has "accidentily" bitten me more than any other centipede i have ever handled!

oh, and p.s. PLEASE PLEASE try to keep the useless flaming to a minimum... or hey, how about not at all!? if you really want to whine, start ur own thread!

finman31

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man do your Kahonas ride shotgun?!?

Man Andrew you never cease to amaze me! You really have no fear of any of those pedes.So when are you gonna hold that subspinipes? I want to see that man! I remember you talking about it awhile back in an email.I am glad you are still thinking about it.Be careful,but hey,you know more about that i believe than anyone.Let me know when you are going to hold that.Do you think the bite will bruise up as bad as the polymorpha in that pic you sent me a link to? I just wonder if all the bites you have taken will maybe have built up some sort of "resistance" to the effects? What do you think?Think you can handle the Subspinipes?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
finman31 said:
Man Andrew you never cease to amaze me! You really have no fear of any of those pedes.So when are you gonna hold that subspinipes? I want to see that man! I remember you talking about it awhile back in an email.I am glad you are still thinking about it.Be careful,but hey,you know more about that i believe than anyone.Let me know when you are going to hold that.Do you think the bite will bruise up as bad as the polymorpha in that pic you sent me a link to? I just wonder if all the bites you have taken will maybe have built up some sort of "resistance" to the effects? What do you think?Think you can handle the Subspinipes?
i am quite fearful of things that *should* be feared :)

actually, i think i have a decent plan for handling a subspinipes, but i need to get a little more equipment in case i get bit. plus i only have one right now... and it's 6-7"BL and pretty mean... not my prefered candidate for my first free handling, to be honest :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
actually, i think i have a decent plan for handling a subspinipes

Vice Grips spring to mind lol

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
How was the experience of the bite :rolleyes:
fine, thanks for asking

I went nighthunting for scorpions in The Wastelands (my city's unofficial dump) and caught this tiger centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha). it was the only thing i caught. its name is "bloodfoot" for the huge blood filled blister i got from walking in the rain for 4 hours in my old busted boots

S_polymorpha_bloodfoot_drop.3gp
S_polymorpha_bloodfoot_uparm.3gp

NOT A HANDLING VIDEO... but amusing
S_polymorpha_bloodfoot_newneighbor.3gp

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Oh my god!! It's Jesus!! And now we all know what he does in his spare time!! :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Oh my god!! It's Jesus!! And now we all know what he does in his spare time!! :D
heheheh, ppl at work call me Jesus when i walk around with my hair down. i think my sandles and long robe might also have something to do with it

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mortal_Sin_terminators_to_headcapsule.3gp

This is a Scolopendra polymorpha, North American tiger centipede. This is one of the biggest i have seen... it is six inches in body length (not counting antenna or legs) when at rest and seven inches bodylength when fast running where it's body locked ridged.

I try to do like, a virtual tour of mortal sin here, heh

EgyptianEmeraldCentipede_good_fingers.3gp

This is an Egyptian Emerald Centipede. They seem pretty calm and nice to me. Sold as Scolopendra species. The younger cents (if this is S. cingulata or S. morsitans it is full grown at 4"+ 10cm+) are more billiantly colored. I just grabbed this one in it's container when it was on top of the substrate before it could run into it's burrow system.

It runs around on my fingers here.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well it was about time that we have videos of all these handling sessions you're talking about :). I'm very impressed with your Tanzanian Red-Headed Tiger centipede... Do you know what its latin name would be?!?! I also have to compliment you for the second video with the big sc.polymorpha... it looks amazing :). I would also like to know the latin name of the egyptian emerald centipede, if possible... Great videos and nice post too!!!!

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
bistrobob85 said:
Well it was about time that we have videos of all these handling sessions you're talking about :). I'm very impressed with your Tanzanian Red-Headed Tiger centipede... Do you know what its latin name would be?!?! I also have to compliment you for the second video with the big sc.polymorpha... it looks amazing :). I would also like to know the latin name of the egyptian emerald centipede, if possible... Great videos and nice post too!!!!

phil.
u ask hard questions =P

i suspect the redhead (which died.. never was doing well, never could put weight on it.. i think it got dehydrated at some point coming to America) might be a S. morsitans, it's spiracles shape and count was right, as was the spikes on this terminators

the EECS might be S. morsitans or S. cingulata... those are both guesses... haven't really looked into it much.

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Andrew insane videos. Centipedes always make me nervous during handleing but you hold them with ease even on your face! Thanks for sharing the videos:D

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I free handled my Alipes sp. once, wasnt that bad, it was a fairly docile animal, but its not something I would do again. Centipedes are too unpredictable and fast for me to feel comfortable handling.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cooper said:
I free handled my Alipes sp. once, wasnt that bad, it was a fairly docile animal, but its not something I would do again. Centipedes are too unpredictable and fast for me to feel comfortable handling.
i play with my Alipes, too. I can't make any vids cuz they have dug down in the super jug container i keep them in. very nice cents in my opinion

i dropped one into a big bin that i store all my medium bug containers, it was interesting hunting for it

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
you're crazy man! so how many times have you been bitten while handling? not on purpose i mean. ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
you're crazy man! so how many times have you been bitten while handling? not on purpose i mean. ;)
well, there are these MEAN tiger centipedes by my house... Crankypants is one of them... they all have this real toxic yellow color to them

so, cranky bit me about 5 times, i got bit four times (once each by four dif pedes) the last time i was collecting, and then there are two baby polymorpha from my brother's poly (RIP) that have bit me lots.

so call it... 20 times total, about

i think cuz i handle polymorpha the most, to date, that is why i've been bitten most by them. come to think of it, that's the only species that has accidentily bit me out of like, 15 or so that i've handled

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scolopendra heros, arizonensis colorform

Scolopendra heros, arizonensis colorform: Handle & About low
6:57 uploaded from a 15 MB WMV file (lofi version)
[YOUTUBE]0JM00Ck7sQU[/YOUTUBE]

i have a hifi version uploading still. uploaded from a 54MB wmv file, iirc
[youtube]tLsnVQIQeX4[/youtube]

oh, and that post before this makes me laugh. i think i have been tagged by centipedes like maybe 300 times now. heh.

Last edited:

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, you've done quite a nice little video there Galapo!!!! I like the part on the venom :). Oh, and your sc.h.a is very good looking too, hehe :).

phil.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapo? No that's not me, I just got my haircut:D . That's Caco, ...or am I missing something here? I saw some of the vid Andrew even though it took like an hour to load just part of it. More entertainment as always, haha, that was funny.