Calcium Sand Good for my T?

BigWeezy911

Arachnopeon
Im new to the hobby and maybe should have done a little more research...Anyway i just got a Stripe knee spider and the guy at the store told me to get sand, but while reading this site most people say to use soil or peat moss. I got the sand and a cave with a few sticks in it. Do you guys thinks the sand will be alright for him???

One more thing it about 60 degrees, and i dont have a heat pad, do you think it will survive untill it gets warmer outside? Thanks

Frazier_05

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi welcome to the hobby! I've personally never used it, but I have always heard to not use it. I just use the coconut bark that comes in the tightly packed bricks. It works wonders for me. Just a thought. Congrats on the seemanni!

Brett

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never would recommend using any sand for any tarantula. The small particles can get caught in their book lungs. Just get some bed-a-beast in the bricks, it works best and can be used for all tarantula species.

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sand is generally too abrasive for tarantulas and can get caught in their joints and booklungs, which is not good. Also, unless it wetted, pat down tight, and then allowed to dry, it won't make a good burrowing substrate and Aphonopelma seemanni (Stripe knees) will appreciate the burrowing space. Just use peat, potting soil, coconut fiber, or any combination of those and you'll be fine.

slingshot71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would definitely not use sand for all the reasons mentioned above. I use the compressed coconut fiber for all my T's and it works great.

As for the temperature, it will probably be OK, but I would recommend 65 degrees or higher. That being said, please don't put your T in direct sunlight or under any type of direct heat lamp, as the drying effect would be more dangerous to your T than the low temps.

Last edited:

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
PA7R1CK said:
I never would recommend using any sand for any tarantula. The small particles can get caught in their book lungs. Just get some bed-a-beast in the bricks, it works best and can be used for all tarantula species.
UH NO.

HI! I am a close up picture of the booklungs of a tarantula which has been kept on sand. Hi! I am a spider that has made a burrow in sand. From this thread.

Personal favorite quote from above mentioned thread:

It's like chinese whispers somehow. Someone said one shouldn't keep Ts on sand because this could be problematic. Another one picked that up guessing that the fine sand could lead to problems with the respiratory centre. Out of it the fact rose that tarantula lungs can block up with sand and dust.
More

That out of the way, What is a stripe knee tarantula? I can think of several species that could be called that. This why we use scientific names. I assume you mean Aphonopelma Seemani, which likes to burrow. I am unsure of the type of soil A. Seemani's micro-habitat comes from.

IMHO, if the sand is stable enough to hold a burrow, then it should be all right for the A. Seemani.

See, the reason we use peat moss and/or potting soil is that we KNOW it's stable enough for a T to make a burrow in. A lot of pet-trade sand probably is not stable enough for a T to burrow in, unless mixed with something else. Also IMHO, this why you don't find T keepers using much sand.

In my opinion, I would switch to peat, coconut fiber, or potting soil simply because the T will be able to make a burrow.

Last edited:

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whiskeypunk said:
UH NO.

HI! I am a close up picture of the booklungs of a tarantula which has been kept on sand. Hi! I am a spider that has made a burrow in sand. From this thread.

Personal favorite quote from above mentioned thread:

More

That out of the way, What is a stripe knee tarantula? I can think of several species that could be called that. This why we use scientific names. I assume you mean Aphonopelma Seemani, which likes to burrow. I am unsure of the type of soil A. Seemani's micro-habitat comes from.

IMHO, if the sand is stable enough to hold a burrow, then it should be all right for the A. Seemani.

See, the reason we use peat moss and/or potting soil is that we KNOW it's stable enough for a T to make a burrow in. A lot of pet-trade sand probably is not stable enough for a T to burrow in, unless mixed with something else. Also IMHO, this why you don't find T keepers using much sand.

In my opinion, I would switch to peat, coconut fiber, or potting soil simply because the T will be able to make a burrow.
The pictures were of sand that was compressed and not loose. Loose sand can and will get stuck in joints.

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Years and years ago I kept a tarantula on sand (not compacted). The spider had no problems with joints or lungs. I still have her, actually. The problem I had with sand was that any moisture at all, like little spills from the water dish, went straight to the bottom of the tank and never dried. After about 6 or 7 months there was a horrible stench because the water that settled under the sand had served as a breeding ground for some very nasty bacteria. It was a big hastle to clean up. I wouldn't use sand again for that reason.