My blondi eats nightcrawlers now, pictures of that and tank inside [56k warning]

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my blondi Garthim refuses to eat pinkies or fuzzies, but wholeheartedly attacked the unfortunate nightcrawler :?

Garthim is about 5-6 inches diagonally and as of yet unsexed.

The feast

The jungle (yes, that is me with my shirt off in the reflection)

Jungle illuminated

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow I just thought that was some spooky ghost hounting your spider in the back ground

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is a night crawler, Looks like a garden worm

GAD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Night crawler is a graden worm just a lil bit bigger...thats just what they callem where i come from

NeilD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
right, I wonder if a blondi would eat a large garden worm and is so what nutritional value it has, I suppose it has plenty of water content

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We use to make a night crawler catcher. It involved two metal rods, WOOD handles, and an extension cord with one end cut off. Of course we had to put this together without Mom's knowledge, but hey, when you are 10 years old you become very inventive! Let's just say the worms would fly out of the ground!

*DISCLAIMER*
Please note that we were trained professional little 10 year old boys and had years of experience with stitches contusions and the occasional concussion. Do not try this at home!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well that blondi sure seems to like it!

I would think food items having a high water content would be good for a blondi. I would like to know what the sucessful blondi keepers think about feeding them nightcrawlers. Are these like superworms? I am thinking of getting a blondi, but I am holding off until I feel I know more about their proper care.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I heard about a guy at work that made a nightcrawler catcher out of an old crank telephone, basically the same as yours, Ron. Unfortunately, according to a guy I work with, who knew this guy, he also used it to fish by dropping the leads over the side of the boat and stunning the fish. A game warden caught him doing this, and he lost his worm catcher,and paid a hefty fine.

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did it pounce on the worm once you dropped it in the cage?

How could you prevent it from digging into the substrate and escaping?

I want to try this but don’t want a "fugitive" worm in the cage. Can you prekill it by putting it in the freezer? :?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, would a fugitive worm in the cage do any harm? I mean, apart from dying and stinking up the cage?

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My blondi's would not touch a crawler for some reason ? :? As for it dying in the enclosure, the ispods had a nice meal :D

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in the first pic it kinda looks like the blondies got a set of wings

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nate said:
Did it pounce on the worm once you dropped it in the cage?

How could you prevent it from digging into the substrate and escaping?

I want to try this but don’t want a "fugitive" worm in the cage. Can you prekill it by putting it in the freezer? :?

I simply used my 16" metal tongs to drop it right at the front of the blondi's hide and the T was all over it, at first it grabbed the head of the nightcrawler, felt other parts of it moving across the ground and was like *huh?* so it then grabbed the middle and used its legs and fangs to kinda "wrap it all together".

[edit]Oh and no I wasn't worried about it escaping, the are not too quick and I would have just caught it again with the tongs.

kimberwolf

Arachnopeon
What size is that tank? 20 gallon? It's way awesome I'm jealous!!! P.S. how did you customize your avatar?

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had some trouble getting my T. blondi to eat night crawlers, so I dropped one in, and then dropped a cricket right on top of it. All of this took place right in front of the animal, so when the spider pounced on the cricket it got the night crawler. It was very happy to eat it though.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kimberwolf said:
What size is that tank? 20 gallon? It's way awesome I'm jealous!!!
Thanks! It is actually a standard 10 gallon, 20 inches long.

kimberwolf said:
P.S. how did you customize your avatar?
Eh? If you mean size-wise I used the free program irfanview to resize the pic....um....other than that I dunno what you are getting at...:?

Natco said:
I had some trouble getting my T. blondi to eat night crawlers, so I dropped one in, and then dropped a cricket right on top of it. All of this took place right in front of the animal, so when the spider pounced on the cricket it got the night crawler. It was very happy to eat it though.
Lol now that's getting creative! :clap:

chubfarm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
imma have to try that now evryone else is doing it and have some luck with it.nice set up btw.