just a spider pic

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Saw this today while hiking around. The pic turned out OK so I thought people would like to look at it (central Tx)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe it's a lichen orb weaver. I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone will give more info. A pretty large spider. I see them pretty often around here.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure they last one season. Grow big and fast. Don't know that for sure. That's my guess because they usually spin their web between two trees. During the day, they rest in a little pocket they make out of leaves at the end of a branch of one of the trees. I just don't feel they go terrestrial to hibernate and avoid freezes when winter comes around. That's my speculation. Maybe we will hear from someone who knows for sure.

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Usually large araneids are biannual (at least in north). Some overwinters two times, first as juv. and the second winter as subadults (e.g. Gibbaranea omoeda). Others owerwinter as eggs (e.g. Araneus quadratus) and the second winter as slightly more than half grown (i think). I don't think adults owerwinter.

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
I just don't feel they go terrestrial to hibernate and avoid freezes when winter comes around. That's my speculation. Maybe we will hear from someone who knows for sure.
Large subad. G. omoeda do not "go terrestrial" to overwinter. They do it in the canopy of spruces, as do the juveniles. They normally do not freeze to death.

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
I believe it's a lichen orb weaver. I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone will give more info. A pretty large spider. I see them pretty often around here.
What is a lichen orb weaver? Do you know the scientific name?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
good grief!

all of a sudden i have the feeling if i ever leave CA it might be for TX!

another amazing animal pic Gala!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
How large was it?
Here's a different spider I found last year on a road cut. This pic is the best way to show you the size of the spider this thread is about. This one was found in W. tx. Very similar, but a different color. Ha, I don't know if tx is good for buggin or if I'm just making it look like it is. I'm kind of a freak about looking for the stuff.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
some reason these little spiders freak me rite out but must say those are lovely in those pics