for those who dont have a fast scorpion(video)..

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thats a nice specimen, but you should probably not bugg it like that all the time. very stressful for the scorp.

cheers, steve

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:
thats a nice specimen, but you should probably not bugg it like that all the time. very stressful for the scorp.

cheers, steve
thankyou, and i dont bug it all the time..it was just for the sake of the video.

-dan

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn, If it was a boxing match my emp would be Mike Tyson (Before he lost his confidence), and that scorp would be Muhammed Ali with how fast he is lol. Nice Scorp though

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8ball said:
Damn, If it was a boxing match my emp would be Mike Tyson (Before he lost his confidence), and that scorp would be Muhammed Ali with how fast he is lol. Nice Scorp though

My emps are more like "Wazzap, we're chilling, get lost please."

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Smerinigurus mesaensis are amazingly fast, more so then any other species I've encountered. I remember when I first got a specimen, I had to change some of my husbandry habits to cope with the fact that they can teleport between locations.

r8frazer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
people talk about scorps gettin stressed.. but how does a scorp experience stress? are they mentally capable of it?

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow thanks for sharing that. I would have never thought a scorpion could be so fast!

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mentally is not the only way stress can be experienced.... for example, a bridge that cars drive over constantly every day is under physical stress.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
r8frazer said:
people talk about scorps gettin stressed.. but how does a scorp experience stress? are they mentally capable of it?
Scorpions almost certainly (I’d like to say definitely but people would complain;) ) don't experience stress in the way that we do, as you say they have a pretty simple nervous system.

When people talk about stress in scorpions what they mean is an adverse behavioural reaction due to some imperfect environmental conditions, or external influence. For example a mother scorpion eating her babies is generally attributed to “stress”, its not that she is feeling stress, but she is responding to some stressful conditions, such as not enough food, water, heat etc. so she responds by eating her young in order to maximise her chance of future reproduction.

r8frazer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thisgal said:
Mentally is not the only way stress can be experienced.... for example, a bridge that cars drive over constantly every day is under physical stress.

Good point.. to put my question into context.. if jungleguts were to prod his scorp around like that everyday.. how would that stress the scorp.. obviously it would react by running around a little and then go to its hide but after that is there any long lasting effects.. Im not proposing that people should feel free to toy with their scorps everyday jus wonderind how it affects the scorp! ;)

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I caught one of these a long time ago in Tuscon, Arizona, was looking for a tarantula in this hole, dug the whole out and found one of those, I had a hell of a time catching the thing...

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RottweilExpress said:
My emps are more like "Wazzap, we're chilling, get lost please."
Mine has his lazy day's and his day's where he'll wanna kill anything that move's lol.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, I didn't know scorpions could move like that, its not running its teleporting like fusion said!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
yea, i must admit, i don't like messing with my bugs, but until this video, i never new a scorp could move like that. mine just cruise along ..well i guess they jump at prey a little..but i've never seen one do a lap like that.