Genus Euathlus

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Figured there must be enough of these around to start a pic thread.

1.0.1 Euathlus sp. 'gold', mountain
Becoming one of my favorites, always out, sometimes acts arboreal, webs up high, sometimes digs. It's fun to drop an 'oversized food item' on him when he's up high on the side of the enclosure. Snags it out of the air with all eight legs and tumbles to the ground, rolling around madly till he's in control, then does the happy dance all over the place for five minutes. The smaller one I have doesn't seem quite as agressive.

0.2.0 Euathlus sp. 'gold' lowland
Behaves pretty much like the 'mountain' but a bit lighter coloration, pretty little things, lots of detail.

0.0.1 Euathlus sp. 'yellow'
Still really tiny, not much to look at yet. Hung out on top for a while, but dug it's self a burrow in premolt that it hasn't emerged from in a month and a half, even though it molted and is eating again.

Bill

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice spiders... many years of growth left in those guys!

The sp. "gold" will look like THIS as adults.

There's a nice article on these spiders in Sklipkan 2/2005... with photos of the Theraphosinae sp. "gold" and "red" included.

They might not belong in this thread... but probably as good a place as any for the moment I suppose.

Eric

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Euathlus truculentus, adult female:
Just want to make a note that this is the same spider being labeled sp. "Gold" above. They're being sold as "E. truculentus" by some for reasons that are unexplainable by me.

They're likely not even a Euathlus species... let alone E. truculentus.

Beautiful spider BTW!

Eric

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Just want to make a note that this is the same spider being labeled sp. "Gold" above. They're being sold as "E. truculentus" by some for reasons that are unexplainable by me.

They're likely not even a Euathlus species... let alone E. truculentus.

Beautiful spider BTW!

Eric
Thanks Eric, you've confirmed my suspicion. I have just received several females of this species as well (from Germany) and they were labeled as E. vulpinus! :wall: I also agree that they are likely not a Euathlus sp. - they "look" more like Paraphysa sp. to me... but what do I know.

Cheers!

Last edited:

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

My young E. sp. yellow. It havent got the typical coloration yet.

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol that is the fattest sling I've ever seen. I might be picking up a Euathleus vulpinus soon :D

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

My sp. yelow has molted :). Her new colors are very nice...

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
E. sp. "yellow" 0.1.0 (bought as)

Fresh molt, starting to show some adult coloration. Have had her for well over a year and still under 1 1/2".

Bill