tarantula rescued from frying pan in Cambodia

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A family friend of ours is in Cambodia for a few years and they eat tarantulas there deep fried. Now she went and bought a live one from a take away place for $0.14 but when she got home she noticed it has no fangs. I've told her to try mashing a few crickets for it and giving it lots of water in the hope that it moults soon. However we were wondering what type of tarantula it could be, I'm unsure what species are native to Cambodia. We were also wondering if there was any possibility of her being able to bring it home to the UK or would that be a total no-no?:?

EDIT: Blast I've just noticed that I posted this int he wrong section!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Though I'm no expert in Ts, I'm a scorp keeper. I think it could be H. minax.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they remove the fang so that the cooks will not be bitten...

poor T's

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likely a total no-no on bringing it home. Try stowing it in a carry-on without a container and claim ignorance when going through customs if you're caught.

The topic of this post, comibined with your choice of user name is kind of funny.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm yeah I never thought of that!;P

Unfortunately the tarantula died, she sent me all these photos of whole sack-fulls of tarantulas that were just about to be put in the deep fat fryer. Quite depressing and I hope it doesn't affect the wild populations too badly but then you can't really pass judgement on other peoples way of life.

Juraki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
hmm yeah I never thought of that!;P

Unfortunately the tarantula died, she sent me all these photos of whole sack-fulls of tarantulas that were just about to be put in the deep fat fryer. Quite depressing and I hope it doesn't affect the wild populations too badly but then you can't really pass judgement on other peoples way of life.

Sometime it's really hard not to. I guess if they are a popular food item there they would at least make sure that they didn't over collect, then there wouldn't be any left. Lets just hope they are smart enough to make sure future generations aren't robbed.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They've been doing this forever- a distasteful as we might find it, a said before -- it's a way of life for these people. But add on collecting for the trade,those "stuffed T thingies", and loss of habitat, and these T's could be in trouble - if they're not already.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
while back ago I watched a tv show on bugs for dinner. and they showed tarantulas being eaten. the kind that was said on the tv where lividums.
But i am sure there are some countries that use more than just these kinds.
its just what i seen on tv.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi ;-)

The species from Cambodia (Skuon) is Haplopelma longipes. They have been eaten like this like forever. Generally speaking any collecting of wild populations that is not mega fauna (mammals, reptiles and birds etc. with a spine) does very little (nothing) to the extinction of any given species. The only major contributor to the extinction of any given species is habitat destruction.

Regards
Søren

brova golin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In cambodia they collect near on 10,000 of these T,s every year and have done for over 150 years, they are cooked with salt garlic and a few spices (crispy legs but still juciey body), there is actually a town that has been given the nick name spider vil, ppl in cambodia come from like 50miles to buy these protien rich snacks. I think the most distressing thing was the fact that the pics u see of these T's in sacks of hundereds or even thousands that are going to be cooked they are all alive and they are still alive when fried kindo like a lobster i supose. (log on to national geographic and look up Tarantulas, the australian giant although about ausi Ts shows alot about cambodia.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They eat tarantulas, we eat crawfish. What the difference really?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
None, there's just not many crayfish and lobster enthusiasts on these boards ;)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exactly, a little perspective, please people.

The *only* reason you would react negatively is because of an emotional attachment you have to the animal.

With enough time and education, every animal on the planet can become fascinating - but not every human can become vegetarian. :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
I've actually been told that that's kind of what tarantula tastes like--shellfish. Which I guess makes sense!

I have no issue with other people eating them, just like I would look oddly at anyone who scolded me for eating seafood. I definitely couldn't do it myself though. Like the others said, I've become emotionally attached to these bugs. :)

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I definetly has it as one of my projects; that I want to visit Cambodia, eat some spiders and visit Angkor Vat ;-)

Regards
Søren

brova golin said:
Who here would try it if they got the chance?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't mind eating a tarantula...I like things fried
crawfish don't have enough meat for the effort put into shelling them and dealing with the cayane(sp? I'm from lousiana and I'm not sure i can spell it, sad i know) under youfingers, tarantula's probably have some draw back like that too..*thinks about a mouth full of utricating hairs*
Skip the middle man and eat the crickets{D

brova golin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
By-Tor said:
thinks about a mouth full of utricating hairs*
{D
The hairs are not a problem as when cooked they are burned off and the fangs are removed before reaching the markets.