Capacity to postpone pregnancy in centipedes

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, i'd like to know for how long a centipede can actually hold sperm and get pregnant after mating. I'm asking because i'm only starting my own 'pede collection from 'pedelings and there is a pet store near my house that has a scolopendra heros arizonensis that's pretty fat. They've had it for a little while and i wonder if there is a possibility that it could be pregnant in which case i'd buy it right away... So knowing for how long can centipedes hold their pregnancy after mating could maybe tell me if there are chances or none...

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, you've seen this thread which has a female produce young for three years i think.. without being remated, with sheds interspersed

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, i'm really surprised to hear that!!!! Do you have the link? I dont think i've ever read that post!!!! Does anybody else have stories like this one?

phil.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It's a tough question for many reasons. For example, I have an Alipes on her third consecutive clutch presently holding fully developed first instars. The clutches have been 6-7 months apart and she last mated (and ate the male) prior to the first in May 2005. She either has a great ability to store sperm or doesn't need to.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
cacoseraph said:
well, you've seen this thread which has a female produce young for three years i think.. without being remated, with sheds interspersed
If that's the popular thread I'm thinking of only the first batch developed and all subsequent eggs failed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I caught two female S. h. castaneiceps last Spring. A year later, eggs and babies from both with no contact from a male while I had them. I probably got real lucky. But just based on my experience, the odds are good, if that pede is a female, that you could get babies.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:D go get that fat mama arizonensis asap!!!:drool: {D :clap: you'll be glad you did. just about every female adult ssp. of centies i get always has babies,again and again and again.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha! YEA! Get that big momma! Weeeedooogggy! The babies aren't as hard to raise as I thought they would be. Go man, go:drool: ! I don't think you'll be sorry even if you don't see any babies, but it sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind having a couple of babies by the way:D .

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wrong call, it wasnt sc.heros arizonensis... I remembered it as a centipede with a dark head and a dark tail but in the end, there is no black at all on it!!!! Wow, it sucked... Anyways, i bought it and i'm pretty sure its a sc.polymorpha... Its about 5'' so i guess it must be an adult and its really is fat :). The only thing is that one of its antenna seems half pale and i think its going to lose it. Possibly a fungus? Before i wait to get babies ( if it ever happens ) i'll just have to make sure it lives...

phil.