Chaco's got a blister

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay guys, I need your wisdom. I searched the forums for something similar, and came up kind of short.
I noticed a shiny, blister-like swelling on my Chaco last month. When I say blister-like, it looks like one you'd get on your foot; bulbous, liquid-filled, ready to pop. I did a search then, and found a post where someone said Grammostolas' abdomens can look ready to burst before they molt. So, I figured this was what was going on
It molted around Sept. 1st, no problems. But I noticed it still had swellings. One on its side, another near the book lungs.
It has been acting normally. It was very hungry and had two crickets last night

So my questions are:
What are these things?
Do they indicate something serious? Can they go away as the spider grows?
How do I prevent any more?

Here are pics

Before molt. It's that super shiny spot.

After molt. Swelling looks deflated, no? But still unsightly

Sorry the Chaco doesn't look too hot in these pics. It's like a big pimple on a beautiful person. :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I have bad news and more bad news, Looks like your T has an internal parasite. Its not something you can do anything about, eventually its going to overcome the T and kill her. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's only a matter of time now.
There is an outside chance she will molt and rid herself of the pest, but that looks like a slim chance in this case.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I have bad news and more bad news, Looks like your T has an internal parasite. Its not something you can do anything about, eventually its going to overcome the T and kill her. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's only a matter of time now.
There is an outside chance she will molt and rid herself of the pest, but that looks like a slim chance in this case.

well dont get ahead of yourself, It doesn't have to be an internal parasite. There have been many cases on these boards with lumps and such, and they weren't internal parasites, so don't give up hope.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an internal parasite be pretty darn rare in a captive born and bred spider? I'm mainly talking about wasp larvae or something like is pictured in the Tarantula Keepers Guide.

I am assuming captive born and bred here, as it looks young, and most wild caught spiders are adults from my reading around.

However, it doesn't look good to me. Not sure what could cause a blister that wasn't fixed by a molt, if it wasn't something internal.

Be sure to keep us updated in case anything changes...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an internal parasite be pretty darn rare in a captive born and bred spider? I'm mainly talking about wasp larvae or something like is pictured in the Tarantula Keepers Guide.

I am assuming captive born and bred here, as it looks young, and most wild caught spiders are adults from my reading around.

However, it doesn't look good to me. Not sure what could cause a blister that wasn't fixed by a molt, if it wasn't something internal.

Be sure to keep us updated in case anything changes...
No you are right most of the time captive born are free of internal problems such as parasites but depending on where food was obtained and things like that its not out of the question for a parasite to be contracted. And to be honest very little is known how they are contracted.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Wow, sorry to see that happened to the spider. And sorry I dont have much more to offer in advice. THe spider was definitly captive born , but as it has already ben said, very little is known about parasite's with spiders.

I've had several spiders with bumps on the abdomins, some molted out and were fine, others died. Sadly your spider looks like a extreme case.

This L. polycuspulatus has had this sore for 5+ years, she molts and its still there.:rolleyes:

Attachments

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is no way to say for sure why it has happened or what it is. Gonna be one of those "wait and see what happens" things.

I predict it will fill back up with liquid as it goes more and more post-molt.

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your input, and consolation.
Due to it being my first T, I didn't have a basis for what was normal. Looks as though this turning out to be a one-in-a-million type thing

I'm sorry too Philth. I can't help but wonder if I did something wrong. Was this meant to happen anyway, or was it on my part.
It ate mostly crickets; there was an instance where I gave it a grain moth, and a grain moth larva, both found in my house (got a healthy population of those :8o ) I wonder about the food factors

becca, you're right on. It has filled out again over the last couple of days

talkenlate, can you tell me why you think it may be a parasite? Have you seen the effects of parasites before?

edesign, your thread was one of the first I saw when I was searching. I wondered how yours was faring.

I've got another shot I just took of the book-lung area swelling. I'm wondering if respiration is affected

The one thing I'm sure about is: this sucks big time

I'll update if there are changes in condition, good or bad.

Any more input, advice, etc.. is welcome
Thank you again

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:confused: Sorry that is happening to your first T, that sucks! At least it seems to be walking around and eating like everything is normal. I hope everything turns out okay for you. Keep us updated.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Sorry if this might have been said already, I just skimmed through the thread not reading every little detail:

Check if the lump grows inbetween feedings (so not as a result of feeding, but in the meantime). If it doesn't grow there is a chance it's some kind of biological deformation or internal injury. Not much you can do or could have done.

I have one T with a very small spot like that, it only looks ugly but hasn't done any much harm.

I doubt your T's respiration is affected. Those creatures have an incredibly low metabolism so I guess (yes, pure fluffy guess ;)) they'd still do well even if you were to surgically remove 2 booklungs (which ofcourse is impossible - thought I better say that. ;) )

Best of luck with it! Keep updating...

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
mine's doing fine...still eating and drinking, the lump has not gotten any larger. I'm just starting to wonder if it will ever molt again lol.

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Update 2/25/07

It's about time for an update! Good news to share:

My little one just molted this past night. I'm happy to say it's alive and well, and looks fantastic. I don't see the swelling anymore. There's a possibility it may come back as the spider eats; that's my guess. But hey, I'm thrilled it survived the molt! I've got a feeling it'll be okay. {D
Thanks again

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear your little one is doing well. :)