ID Help on Malaysian spiders

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm trying to get an ID on these bad boys so they can be brought into the US. To the genus level at least. Anyone have any ideas? They are from western peninsular Malaysia... most likely Cameron Highlands.

Botar

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome Spiders!!!

Botar,

Best of luck getting these awesome spiders identified and more importantly over here!!!:worship:

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1, 3, and 4 look like Ctenids, I'm not sure about the 2nd one but they are all absolutly stunning! Are they going to be bred?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1, 3, and 4 look like Ctenids, I'm not sure about the 2nd one but they are all absolutly stunning! Are they going to be bred?
I think 1 and 3 are actually the same spider... just different shots. As for breeding... it has been said I'll breed anything that holds still... but that pretty much goes for spiders as well.:eek:

Botar

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are truely beautiful!
How large is the second one? I want a couple of those! Check is in the mail! :D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are not ctenids, Id say they are sparrasids (huntsman spiders). The red one are really stunning!
Dont know what the second might be

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow mate they look great and from the sounds of it there is a line forming for dibs on them..... sooo let us know when they arrive wow.....you are the man:worship: i looked at a few could it be that that 1&3 are juveniles...Malaysian orange huntsman (heteropodidae family) the reddish orange one?? just a guess

Last edited:

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
establish a good amount of breeders and mate them for offsprings, just dont go going selling them ASAP when they arrive.

What is the second sp. on second pix.

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1 and 3 is the same spider. It's a sparassid and the genus should be Rithymna. The last one should also be a sparassid.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
@ sick4x4 - There is no family "heteropodidae". The genus Heteropoda and other true huntsman spiders are Sparassidae.

I believe Steven is right about the ID - genus Rhitymna . I wonder if the last photo is an ultimate male of the same species shown in #1 and #3?. I'd like to see a photo of the other spider (#2) that shows its ocular arrangement - that is the real puzzle.

Cheers, Michael

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys... I haven't got them yet as there has to be at least an ID to the genus level (I think) on the paperwork.

@ Michael - You can disregard my phone message now... thanks.

I'll get pics of them up once I get them in. I'm hoping to get a few down to Randy May for some really good shots as well.

Botar

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the second one looks friggen awesome! If you do get the spiders do you know how many you will be getting?

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Michael, I don't think the last one is a male Rithymna spec. It's certainly a sparassid buth the eye arrangement is different. And the coloration is really different buth that's not always a clue.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@ sick4x4 - There is no family "heteropodidae". The genus Heteropoda and other true huntsman spiders are Sparassidae.

I believe Steven is right about the ID - genus Rhitymna . I wonder if the last photo is an ultimate male of the same species shown in #1 and #3?. I'd like to see a photo of the other spider (#2) that shows its ocular arrangement - that is the real puzzle.

Cheers, Michael
tanks mate..i had a list of common names(we all know how helpful that is) and the goggle image search was sparse....

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A friend sent me that photo of the 2nd-spider a couple weeks back, really interesting looking... would like to know what it is.

Eric

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Charles,

i think that #1 & #3 are the same thing and have been imported before under the name "Thelctiocopis modesta" ("Malaysian Golden Huntsman")

#4 has been imported before too, under the name "Rhitymna sp." ("Malaysian Rusty-Red Huntsman")

...no idea on #2

hope this helps point you in the right direction! :cool:

EDIT ~ if you are importing from Malaysia can you see if you can round up some Heteropoda boiei too? i'd buy those in a heartbeat. ;)

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not importing. I know a reptile importer that is bringing stuff in and I'm taking his arachnids when he gets them in. No idea what will be coming in or when as of yet... just tons more of the Singapore blues.

Gordon

Arachnopeon
The first and third spider are Heteropoda sp. A species that is not exactly determinated at the moment.
The fourth is Rhitymna sp. possibly Rhitymna pinangensis?
The second could be a species of the genus Thelcticopis.

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont have a clue:confused: but i want the second one BAD its neat looking

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe the first (and third) are both the orange heteropoda species that have recently become popular in Europe. There is no species name that I know of.

The fourth looks like it *could* be a male of the same species.