Purple Pill Bugs

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone know what causes some pill bugs to be purple? Is it just a color morph or something else? I found a few today on my bug hunt. I was thinking of trying to breed just purple ones but I don't know if it would work.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks suspiciously like it's photoshopped. Although nature is full of suprises, I'm not ready to buy into that with more proof. ;) Could you post a video?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I didn't photoshop it, but I did use flash so it looks a little brighter than in regular light. I tried to film it with my work's crappy digital camera but it didn't turn out so well. I'm taking the little guy home so I'll see if I can get a better video of it tonight.

Last edited:

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know the bright purple/blue isopods are infected with an infected with an iridovirus.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's interesting. I found quite a few blue/purple ones today. This is from the San Diego Natural History Museum Entomology page:

"The blue color you noted is due to an infection of the pillbug by an iridovirus; this disease which affects pillbugs in our area is being studied by scientists at the Universities of California at Riverside and Berkeley. The blue color is due to the refraction of light from the infected cells. The virus has been named the "isopod iridescent virus" or IIV."

Apparently they die shortly after getting the virus. Poor little guys. They sure are pretty though. The iridovirus can sometimes also affect other animals like salamanders and fish. I guess if I turn purple now, I'll know why :(

Qickshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's interesting. I found quite a few blue/purple ones today. This is from the San Diego Natural History Museum Entomology page:

"The blue color you noted is due to an infection of the pillbug by an iridovirus; this disease which affects pillbugs in our area is being studied by scientists at the Universities of California at Riverside and Berkeley. The blue color is due to the refraction of light from the infected cells. The virus has been named the "isopod iridescent virus" or IIV."

Apparently they die shortly after getting the virus. Poor little guys. They sure are pretty though. The iridovirus can sometimes also affect other animals like salamanders and fish. I guess if I turn purple now, I'll know why :(
LOL yrea hopefully you wont die tho. thats very cool never seen that before around here

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The iridiovirus will eventually kill the isopod, this is true. However, if you wish to keep blue pillbugs just keep a culture of 'normal' pillbugs alongside the infected ones. Just make sure to not contaminate them.

I believe that the iridiovirus that affects fish and salamanders is different than the one that does the isopods in.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are very spectacular. There aren't many diseases that make the host MORE attractive. :rolleyes:

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry the video didn't work. It was pretty blurry anyway. Here are some better pics though:

Here's one with some normal isopods from the same area

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, I'm kind of jealous! They are very striking for a pill bug. :D

So...are they known in the State of California to be hazardous to your health? ;)

On a slightly more serious note, is this iridiphore virus widespread or just in CA? We have TONS of isopods, sow bugs and pill pugs, that forage around our chicken pen...consuming fallen and moist chicken feed.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks beautiful!

Here are some other brightly colored bugs I thought you might enjoy: Pink Katydids
These aren't caused by a virus though, It's a mutation.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Man, all the ones down here are a boring ole green. :p

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those katydids are beautiful! I wish we had those around here. I think the isopod virus occours in other parts of the US although it sounds like a CA thing since nobody else has seen them. I've been finding them since I was little and I always wondered why they were different color. Now I know :)
The only thing that concerns me is that I have some of the blue isopods in a terrarium that I was going to keep whipscorpions in eventually. Hope they can't get the disease. I guess I'll know if they change color.:}
I found out that the iridovirus can affect other insects like mealworms and even bees (fortunately no arachnids are listed yet). Here's some more technical info about it if you're interested:
http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/3035/kalmakoff/Iridoviruses.html

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never find purple pillbugs, does that mean the virus doesnt exist where I live?

Those pink katydids (or at least the species) looks like the type I see on rare occasions here, so mabye one day I will see a pink one?

I do see red and orange pillbugs/sowbugs here though, they are uncommon, but I see quite a few. One time I found a pillbug that was tanish color, it wasnt tan, it appeared that it's tan spots went haywire and made up most of it's body, leaving only a few gray areas.

Oh yeah and those field crickets (the black ones with brown wings) on rare occasion I find some with red legs, and once I found an adult that was all black, even the wings! Sometimes adults can even be tan color mixed with black, almost like the feeder cricket color, but darker.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm in CA and have also seen these. In some places where the disease is prevalent they are pretty common and almost 1/4 of what you find are blue pillbugs. Sowbugs can also be affected.

Has anyone here then found "albinos"? I've come across a few white sowbugs with faint bluish stripe on the back(prolly the guts showing through). It wasn't a disease as they lived just as long as normal sowbugs.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The iridovirus is found worldwide and only affect crustaceans (if you've ever bought a blue crayfish you bought an infected animal). Crayfish often fight off the infection but isopods die from it.