ID of house spider

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry I don't have a picture but maybe you can help anyway. I found a couple of these spiders in my apartment in NYC. They are appoximately 6-8mm dls, but I don't know what stage of development they are in. The carapace and legs are dark burgundy reddish brownish and the abdomin is oval and ivory colored. They were easy to capture and not aggressive. Any ideas? Thank you.
Jodi

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup, that's it. Thanks! So how did they get into my bedroom and what do I do? I have a ton of sow bugs, they are my pets!:eek: Are they going to get eaten?:eek: :eek:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup, that's it. Thanks! So how did they get into my bedroom and what do I do? I have a ton of sow bugs, they are my pets!:eek: Are they going to get eaten?:eek: :eek:

keep it as a pet! they have awesome jaws when they are older!

i am almost sure they lack scopulae, so they can't glasswalk, so i think your sow bugs should be safe. these are really pretty spiffy looking true spiders.

oh yeah, p.s. they throw the CUTEST tiny little threat displays... but the gigantic fangs make it like 1% scary too :D

adults of D. crocata (what i believe my local sp. to be, no idea bout yours though) get over 1" legspan (maybe 1.5, been a year or so since i have seen any) so they are ~decent size for a true spider