"It's in the air ducts!"

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yesterday I was unpacking a 4" OBT that got out and rampaged across my room. Usually this isn't a big deal, but then my heart jumped into my throat. Next to the cage was an open air vent. I closed the vents and started looking for the tarantula and it was nowhere.

I wouldn't have called anyone, except that I live in a dorm. There are other people here, and the house fellows (teachers who live inside the dorm) have two year old children. If it had gotten into the vents, I potentially put them at risk. I know, I know, it probably would just stay in the same place, but still, I felt responsible and that if anything DID happen, it would be my fault.

So I called campus security thinking that they would send over a securityguard with a can of raid, but apparently they called the dean of the college, the president of the college, the department of environmental safety, it goes on and on. They evacuated the ENTIRE dorm of three hundred people for one little spider.

After that, they began closing off each ventilation system in the building, sat for seven hours(!) waiting for the exterminator to show up and completely trashed my room looking for the spider, when they found it in one of my drawers they took one of MY textbooks, bent it so that I couldn't resell it and squashed the poor little guy. The exterminator took the corpse back to his house to preserve in ethyl alcohol. After that they told me that my other spiders were not allowed in the dorm, and would either have to be left outside (in the cold weather, essentially euthanization) or taken to the biology building and locked up.

The entire rationale for this was that "someone might be allergic!" I tried telling people that tarantula venom does not cause an allergic reaction, but no one would listen. I'm starting to look for academic papers that are able to show that tarantula venom does not pose a mortal threat or even physical threat to people. I'm also trying to see if, assuming they won't let me have them back, they'd let me keep and maintain the tarantulas in the biology building. Anyone else have similar disasters with Ts?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I tried telling people that tarantula venom does not cause an allergic reaction, but no one would listen.
Actually, since the immune system can recognize the venom, it could, in theory, cause an allergic reaction.

P. murinus, besides being quite aggressive, has a very painful bite. And loose in a dorm, could cause a lot of trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting on my bed in a dorm, and put my foot down on 4" of ticked off orange hairs, only to have my foot bitten.

Sorry for your luck man.:(

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, since the immune system can recognize the venom, it could, in theory, cause an allergic reaction.

P. murinus, besides being quite aggressive, has a very painful bite. And loose in a dorm, could cause a lot of trouble. I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting on my bed in a dorm, and put my foot down on 4" of ticked off orange hairs, only to have my foot bitten.

Sorry for your luck man.:(
I just talked to someone who would know and he says your right, but that a tarantulas allergic reaction probably wouldn't prove fatal.

Also, you're right about causing trouble, that's why I called security. :) I just hoped that they would have handled it differently than evacuation and panic. I doubt that I'll be able to keep tarantulas in the dorms anymore, but I'm hoping that I can maybe keep them in the bio building.

Last edited:

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel sorry for you and quite mad at the fact that they messed up your room, ruined a book and then squashed your p.murinus. I'd be furious :evil:

Personally I would have double and triple checked everywhere. So where are you going to take the rest of your collection now?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just talked to someone who would know and he says your right, but that a tarantulas allergic reaction wouldn't prove fatal.
That's basically a load of horse manure. 100% certified allergies to spider venom are undocumented in medical literature, and therefore, probably next to impossible for tarantulas, since it is the unlucky person indeed that gets bitten multiple times. However, to extrapolate that somehow this means it wouldn't be fatal if it did happen is talking out of one's butt.

Should I go into anaphylaxis when I eat shrimp? Or my uncle from a bee sting? Or how about a kid's windpipe swelling shut from a tiny piece of peanut? You can't do more than speculate on how such an allergy would manifest itself until it's actually documented. Plenty of irritating substances have only mild reactions associated with them, plenty of seemingly harmless or even beneficial substances are deadly to the right person.

All that said, there is no way you should have called in my opinion. The reaction to the lose spider, as you noted, was not even slightly appropriate, and there was no reason to expect it to have been. If you felt you had to do anything at all, complain that there have been large American cockroaches coming out of the vents into your room and you demand they do something about it immediately. They'd have calmly sprayed, the P. murinus would have dropped dead, and everybody, including you, would have been a lot happier.

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I feel sorry for you and quite mad at the fact that they messed up your room, ruined a book and then squashed your p.murinus. I'd be furious :evil:

Personally I would have double and triple checked everywhere. So where are you going to take the rest of your collection now?
Well I see three options: I can ship them off to some people I trust, sell them here on the boards or try to convince the faculty that setting up a display case of spiders, which I would care for at my expense, for the next two years would be a good idea.

I'm going to try to get them moved back to my room, but I don't think they'll go for it, even with something as innocuous as a brachypelma.

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's basically a load of horse manure. 100% certified allergies to spider venom are undocumented in medical literature, and therefore, probably next to impossible for tarantulas, since it is the unlucky person indeed that gets bitten multiple times. However, to extrapolate that somehow this means it wouldn't be fatal if it did happen is talking out of one's butt.

Should I go into anaphylaxis when I eat shrimp? Or my uncle from a bee sting? Or how about a kid's windpipe swelling shut from a tiny piece of peanut? You can't do more than speculate on how such an allergy would manifest itself until it's actually documented. Plenty of irritating substances have only mild reactions associated with them, plenty of seemingly harmless or even beneficial substances are deadly to the right person.
Ok, I'm willing to say that I might be misinformed, but then why haven't we seen any fatalities even with all the spider keeping and bites that have gone on? I'm not trying to say your wrong, it just seems odd that we wouldn't have encountered it.

All that said, there is no way you should have called in my opinion. The reaction to the lose spider, as you noted, was not even slightly appropriate, and there was no reason to expect it to have been. If you felt you had to do anything at all, complain that there have been large American cockroaches coming out of the vents into your room and you demand they do something about it immediately. They'd have calmly sprayed, the P. murinus would have dropped dead, and everybody, including you, would have been a lot happier.
Yeah, I'm kicking myself now, and you're right, I screwed up and feel bad about it.

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek:Now how horrible is that, poor T!:( He unnecesarily squashed it with a text book in front of you! Nooooo he could've put it in a jar and gave it to me;) Wow what an ordeal that must've been, although i highly doubt they'll allow you to keep any more t's even if you do show evidence in your favor. The majority of people are just terrified of the creepy tarantula's appearance and are not interested in learning the truth behind the myths.

Though to prevent this from happening to you again you might want to unpack your bugs in the tub. When I received my h. lividum, i took the shipping box and proceeded to take the T's out of their containers in the bathtub. My lividum was too stressed and lethargic from the shipping to bolt out and do anything to me, and in fact died a week after that:( but my metallica sling was so skittish and nervous it bolted from the vial and started running laps in the bathtub driving me crazy to catch it...so it's a good idea to unpack your T's in the tub because you have more control.

Regards,
Ulrich

Last edited:

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I see three options: I can ship them off to some people I trust, sell them here on the boards or try to convince the faculty that setting up a display case of spiders, which I would care for at my expense, for the next two years would be a good idea.

I'm going to try to get them moved back to my room, but I don't think they'll go for it, even with something as innocuous as a brachypelma.
Well I hope things will work out for you. Option 3 sounds good to me. It might let people appreciate tarantulas :)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol that was an awesome story about the metallica Im guessing its your P metallica. I can just picture it.

sorry about your Ts being taken away I hope all works out for the best. let us know if we can help in any way
scott

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Agreed.
However, I believe what the 'people in charge' did about your hobby would have been appropriate in their oppinion. They probably have absolutely no idea how often this happens. He could think its commonplace for T's to escape, and didn't want to have to go through all this again.

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I vote for setting them up at your campus. Maybe something good can come from this and you can convert your school to a bunch of T junkies. You'll start small of course, but you can give them the chance to see what they are and how they behave. In which case, its probably better that that particular spider is the one that got away.:?

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Though to prevent this from happening to you again you might want to unpack your bugs in the tub. When I received my h. lividum, i took the shipping box and proceeded to take the T's out of their containers in the bathtub. My lividum was too stressed and lethargic from the shipping to bolt out and do anything to me, and in fact died a week after that:( but my metallica sling was so skittish and nervous it bolted from the vial and started running laps in the bathtub driving me crazy to catch it...so it's a good idea to unpack your T's in the tub because you have more control.

Regards,
Ulrich
I don't think I'm going to keep spiders for a few years after this. Honestly, a college education is worth more than two years of spiders. I can always keep them later once I graduate. Plus my parents would kill me.

Well I hope things will work out for you. Option 3 sounds good to me. It might let people appreciate tarantulas :)
I think so too, they know that I'm knowledgeable and I think they respect my sense of responsibility now, and they've seen the amount of panic that can happen, so I'm hoping they'll act as an academic institution should and educate people and encourage my passions.

Agreed.
However, I believe what the 'people in charge' did about your hobby would have been appropriate in their oppinion. They probably have absolutely no idea how often this happens. He could think its commonplace for T's to escape, and didn't want to have to go through all this again.
My college wouldn't actually send a guy out for cockroaches, or even hornets unless I complained like a million times. I think I was just really, really naive and didn't expect people to get that upset about a tarantula? It sounds stupid in retrospect.

I vote for setting them up at your campus. Maybe something good can come from this and you can convert your school to a bunch of T junkies. You'll start small of course, but you can give them the chance to see what they are and how they behave. In which case, its probably better that that particular spider is the one that got away.:?
Well it's definitely raised awareness and created a massive stir. Every single person has heard about it, and the rumor is that I'm some creepy weirdo who keeps fatal tarantulas and let fifteen of them out. I'm doing my best to try to send out factual information and try to dispel some of the prejudice.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should I go into anaphylaxis when I eat shrimp? Or my uncle from a bee sting? Or how about a kid's windpipe swelling shut from a tiny piece of peanut? You can't do more than speculate on how such an allergy would manifest itself until it's actually documented.
Comments like this illustrate where the problem and confusion lies. The examples given are of more complex proteins, capable of eliciting a true allergenic response in the body (anaphylactic in the worst cases). With the exception I’ve noted in the linked thread below, the simple peptide composition of tarantula venom is biologically incapable of eliciting theat response. It’s fact, not speculation.

The below linked thread from a few days ago contains the proper information (from the last of many times this question ahs been discussed):

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=80554&highlight=FDA

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey joe,I told you last night what I would do. I hate that all this happened.Like I said I have never found a T more than 10 foot away from the escape point. I use a large rubbermaid tub to do my transfers,and packing. That OBT was actually quite calm compared to some I have. I hate it all happened.No one can be to blame,you reacted in manner you deemed best at a moment of panic, and the school officials reacted in the way they thought best in a situation that I am sure was a first for them.I bet your campus was buzzing today! Did you hear whispers as you walked past people saying "look,its that bug guy.." ? Dont give up bro,thats all I am saying.Dont let one unfortunate event make you lay off the hobby for a while.We all have bad mishaps,but all we can do is get up and brush the dirt off and start walking again. There has to be some solution to make both you and the school officials happy without you having keep them somewhere else. Good luck man...let me know if there is anything I can do

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sux man.i cant believe u called.prob is the responsible thing to do if there are small children around but i dont think i would have in the situtation heh
at least u didnt get kicked out of school for it

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I sent an apology notice, and I got hatemail in response:

...isn't it true that you have been illegally breeding venomous spiders
for years? i hear you have 18. that is <edit> weird. your negligence
has cost me a lot of time and hassle. i don't care that you view your
pets as "a cross between muppets and jewels," because honestly, when it
comes down to it, they are DEADLY, and the dorm wouldn't have been
evacuated for a <edit> hampster or rabbit.

so basically, you're on my <edit> list (and many others'), for all time.

i hope you get over your creepy spider fetish.

Last edited by a moderator:

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The least you will end up with is a fine story to tell. (Grampa, tell us again about the time you emptied a dorm with a spider!) I even see you attaining urban legend status at the college! (There was this guy a few years ago that bred lethal spiders in his room and let a bunch go in the airducts. They sprayed pesticide but they still appear from time to time! :liar:)

I would let it go now. Display your T's in the biology building or ship them to good homes. You had a mishap, you did the right thing by letting others know, and you have apologized for the hassle it caused people. There are always a few people that won't take I'm sorry for an answer. You will not win an argument with them. In a short time a new flavor of the week will come along and you won't be hassled anymore.

Sorry for the loss of the spider and the text book! Keep your setups and start again when you are settled with a diploma and a place to call your own. Stay close to your hobby by staying in touch here on the boards. Luck to you in finishing up your education.

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I sent an apology notice, and I got hatemail in response:
Who sent this to you? I find it hard to believe that a school official would send an email like this! That is just wrong!