Interesting photo I came across..

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
u can buy them anywhere! The place where we get our pinkie mice from, also where i buy some spiders and snakes etc sells rabbits, hares, chicks, rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, quails and anything else u can think of an animal to eat lol ipen the freezer and its all there. They're not hard to get hold of.

Feeding a chick isn't a lot different to feedin a mouse :) Just a variety.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.thebts.co.uk/gallery_images/eating1.jpg

Is it me or does this Lasiodora parahybana seem to be eating a baby chick.....:?

Was just a little shocking.. not sure where you would buy a baby chick.. or why
Yep, it's definitely a baby chick. I've seen that photo before. As was said, you can get them pretty much any good retailer of prey items, but not local bait shops or pet stores. I know the guy who sells me mice for my snakes sells chicks. But it's not really a necessarily part of T's diets and I sure wouldn't want to clean up after it later. I think someone just wanted to get what they thought was a cool pic.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know two breeders who feed baby chicks to their female Ts regularly, in order to fatten them up for breeding. It is a good source of nutrition apparently, though I know they also give several other types of food as well. The chicks are by no means the staple of the diet.

Cmendel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I figured it was alright, just the first time seeing such a different photo.

Now it lives up to the name birdeater:rolleyes:

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To each their own, but I know for sure that's something I could never do. You know, the live ones... I'm such a softie :eek:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah while it could fatten up a female for breeding i agree that i wouldnt want to clean up the mess afterwords.probaly wouldnt semll to nice eithor

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My sister bought her son a Royal Python many years ago, and would feed it on day old chics(also fed to the barn owl and Kesterel they had)

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if that's a "baby" chick, then what does an adult chick look like? :?

{D

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i could definately see feeding baby chicks, they would be less likely to cause injury like a live mouse. however, i definately agree that it would be messy!

Andy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are nutritionally poor and relatively fatty compared to rats or mice.
The up side is they only cost about 6p whereas youd pay 70p for a similar sized rat (over in UK anyway).

EDIT some companies even use them instead of ice cubes to keep frozen mice/rats cool in transport