Broken leg! Help!

tateer_nutz

Arachnopeon
My rosy fell from the side of her cage and broke a leg. Can this be fatal? I was looking for ways to treat this and found that some folks use super glue to patch up any wounds. How effective is this? Could I krazy glue? How long would this take to heal? Thanks!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had my rosie fall and it broke her foot. Tarantula blood is not capable of clotting so you need to help it clot. Just use some of the substrate and put it all over the wound. It will stick to the wound and that will stop it from oozing and after a while, it will harden and stop. This is not fatal. At worst she will cast off the leg and regenerate a new one in the next molt. The only thing you need to be concerned about is her next molt. It might be trickier than normal with a injury. Plenty of moisture will help.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
first question is do you see any leaking from the broken spot on the leg? make sure her abdomen is not leaking. If you do put a little superglue or krazy glue on be careful not to use to much. cool thing about Ts is they kinda fix their owen legs. they can seal off the section that are broken. how close to the body is the broken part of the leg? pics will help as well.
scott

I havnt had a T. with a busted leg but im not sure about substrate being good to use as a clot does anyone else do that?

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The first thing I'd do is just leave it be. Since it's just one leg, it will likely either stop bleeding on its own or the spider will drop the leg and seal it off.

Just make sure it has access to water, as it can become dehydrated during this time.

Also, raise the substrate up some so that there is less chance in the future of falls causing damage.

Good luck! :)

Becca

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey becca what do you think about the whole substrate as a cloting agent thing is that ok? Ive been doing some searching and havnt found anything yet.
scott

I found this link that may help it talks about clotting a lot read the 2nd page gave me what I think I was looking for http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=11993&highlight=substrate+clot
I've heard of people using cigarette ashes to stop the bleeding, so I wouldn't be surprised for substrate (depending on the substrate) to also do the trick.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you read the link I posted it looks like people use tons of different things that work even powdered sugar or honey. I think I would be interested in trying the honey as it seems less toxic then glue may be.
scott

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Using substrate as a clotting agent for a small break like that was recommended to me by Botar. He told me to just bury the leg in substrate to stop the leaking and the T will take care of the rest on her own and she did. It's been proven to me. F.Y.I. The substrate I use is 100% peat moss.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmmmm interesting so you just covered the leg with 100% peat moss and it cloted fine thats I wouldnt have guessed that cool. I use 100% vermiculite but im starting to think about using some peat moss.
scott

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was told most substrate would work, but Botar asked what I had and he said peat would work fine. There are no fumes and it's readily available. The T blood stoped seeping in about ten minutes and from then on she just walked around on a stub with no problems. After the next molt it was all back to normal.

tateer_nutz

Arachnopeon
Well I tabbed just a little bit of glue on the fracture, bleeding seems to have stopped. I examined its abdomen for any more leaks, found none. However the tarantula is acting rather sluggish and wont move much. I actually noticed that her abdomen appears to be at the beginning of shedding as it appears to be peeling a bit. Could this be the reason for its sluggish behavior? I was able to pet it without it reacting quickly and appears to be just laying there although it does move. This is not usually the case. Could it be in trouble?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can you get a picture of the "peeling?"

Don't touch it. Don't pet it. Don't pick it up. :)

Right now - water, water, water. Make sure it has access to water at all times so it can rehydrate itself.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good job stopping the bleeding. also please do not poor water directly on the Tarantula. I would move a water dish near it that is shallow and does not have high walls.
scott

tateer_nutz

Arachnopeon
Turns out the "peeling" on the abdomen was the beginning of the molting process as it is molting now. I hope all turns out well.

Daniel_h

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
let us know how this works out...a friend thinks this may have happened to his b.smithi and it looks like it is about to moult