Would this be a good purchase?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was at the pet store today and saw that they were selling a H. Spinifer (labeled P. Imp :wall: ) (I was able to note this thanks to the helpful Heterometrus ID Thread; :worship: G. Carnell :worship: ) for 14.99 US, is this a good price? It is a female in good condition, about 4 cm long, so I assume it is still young. Any insight would be good, especially what to look at to really tell if it is a healthy scopion. Thanks in advance.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it looks healthy and has been kept in good condition than I would say it's a pretty decent buy. Around $15 seems to be the average price of an emp, if you are completely sure they have the ID wrong you might want to inform the petshop of that also.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The ID is wrong, it's labeled Adult Emperor Scorpion. It really is a Heterometrus juvenile. I told them it was wrong and they said they get them from texas and they'll have to inform the supplier. But is $15 US a good price for a juvee Hetero?

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Buy it. Tha's the usually the online price. But at the pet store you don't have to pay shipping and there's no chance for an intransit accident or fatality

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going back tomorrow, and pick her up... Thanks.

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems a bit pricey, but rescue it man. Up here $15 for a emp/asian is expensive, I can get them for $5 as adults from the local swap. At any rate, just rescue the poor thing.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are three place in my area that supply Emperors, @ 12.99, 14.99 & 18.99 US. I know there are mail order dealers for around 5-6$ ea but atleast I can hand pick them, :eek:
Also I don't like to 'rescue' animals from pet stores if they are mistreated animals and such (no I'm not heartless :evil: ) I just feel that if I 'rescue' an animal from a less than acceptable dealer I'm now part of the problem, they'll just buy more to fill the void I created :embarrassed: ... But I am going to buy this little girl, this place is an acceptable one I feel.
I was just wondering if 15.00 for a Hetrometreus was reasonable. :confused:

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've bought Hetrometreuses for 5 Euro for a 2I 15 for an adult is an okay deal, not great but okay.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Florida- 30.00 bucks if they know it's not an emp
15.00 bucks if they don't know

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another question on the same line of thought. Is it better to buy a full grown scorpion or a young one? :?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if its one of your first scorpions, get an adult! (no problems with moulting)
otherwise babies live longer, and its nice to see them turn into complete monsters, from little sausages with tails :D

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. Carnell; I ended up picking her up today, very fiesty little girl. She'll be my 2nd H spinifer. and the 6/5th scorp. I own. I had 1.3.0 P. imps but the male died last week from mites.

A humerous thing occured at the pet store though. I picked her out of the tank because the employee was to timid to do it himself, took her to the front counter where another employee said to me "wow, do you own any other reptiles?" and I said "scorpion? yeh I have a few" then the other employee rang me up and said "well enjoy your new reptile". I just smiled and left quietly...:wall:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hehehe.... people these days ;)

at least reptile H.spinifer are rarer than non-reptile ones :p

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*sigh* A certain amount of ignorance is certainly excusable but to refer to it as a reptile... bleh. The guys at the petshop where I get my emps and feeder crickets atleast knew the difference between H. sp and P. imperator, he also seemed pretty glad when I showed him how to sex them. They have an Opistophthalmus glabrifrons that I've been wanting to take off their hands but I'm not going to pay $50 for it.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
xVOWx That is a beautiful Scorpion, I like fat clawed Scorps. Is the one offered daker or lighter, I noticed when looking at some pictures the vary.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it's dark but I havn't been there for awile. Judging by the size (almost as big as an emp) I would say it's an adult. I havn't really done any research in color variations but at a guess I would suspect that allot of the lighter colored O. glabrifrons are juvies.