Lump on P.murinus abdomen

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last night I noticed a deformity or lump on the abdomen of my 2.75" P.murinus. I tried searching on the subject and only found results of this occuring on the abdomens of blondi's.

I know for sure that the spider is captive bred, and I have only fed him/her crickets from a local Pet Land store. It has refused food for the past week and a half so im eaither assuming its in premolt (last molted about 3-4 months ago) or that the deformity is causing some problems.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal to see in spiders premolt? Im just a bit worried, this is my largest spider and pretty much the pride of my collection. Any insight on the problem is greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've never heard of this on a p. murinus - but even captive bred ts might get internal parasites, usually from food. a picture would be very helful (best a pic of the t and a closeup of the lump), without one, it's impossible to really help you. if you want to be careful, put the murinus in a different room than the rest of your ts and observe all if them closely for similar symptoms.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My camera isnt working right now. Its just a lump on the left side of its abdomen. The spider also just finished webbing a bit, if that means anything.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When is the last time it molted? Maybe it's getting ready molt and there is some fluid build up where the old skin has seperated from the new skin. Has the T stoped eating lately? :?

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When is the last time it molted? Maybe it's getting ready molt and there is some fluid build up where the old skin has seperated from the new skin. Has the T stoped eating lately? :?
I was just about to suggest this. As if it were like something between the exoskeletons.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, it last molted about 3-4 months ago and it stopped eating about a week and a half ago. I figured it might be due to premolt, but I have just gotten very worried about the whole thing.

The bump is still in the same area as it was about 18 hours ago and I watched it for about 3 minutes for signs of movement on the bump but could see none.

Last edited:

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is an internal parasite how long will it take to burst from the abdomen of the spider? And is there any way to kill the parasite without killing the spider?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is a parasite, There really no way to tell when it will come out of the T. It all depends on how far along the developement of the parsite is.

Sorry but there is nothing you can do for a T to get rid of parasites once they are infested. :(

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I just have to wait it out.

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My friend has something like this on the abdomin of his adult female H.lividum, It could be a hernia.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I have a bit of an update. The spider just molted in the last few hours, and from what I can see the lump is still present on the abdomen.

Anyone know what to make of this?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did the lump gain any size or does it look the same?
If its gaining size then it's more then likely a parasite. And if that is the case the lump will just get bigger and bigger till it burst and the T dies.
But if its not getting bigger it might be another unknown internal problem. Unfortunatly whenever I have had lumps on my T's they have died. Oh no wait I stand corrected, one did make it she seem to go into a molt or die phase and molted 3 times in 5 months. After that she recovered.I assume she did that to try to ride herself of the parasite. So it's not all doom just 99.99999%.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The lump looks to be the same size, in the same place. It dosent appear to have gained any size in the 5 days I have been aware of it.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen the lumps on T.Blondi's quite a bit, infact there is one at Nature's Nightmares here in Colorado That Jamison owns that has that lump....I dont know if it's from a parasite, he had said that it came from her abdomen being too large during her last molt....I'd Just say good luck if anything...

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spider is still alive after 12 days, the lump is still present though and I havent noticed a change in size. I still havent fed it since its molt.

zarko

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if it is a lup it can be hernia problems so u have to be careful not to damage it.
take all plants and stones out and wate for molt... it can get better over time

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it is a lup it can be hernia problems so u have to be careful not to damage it.
take all plants and stones out and wate for molt... it can get better over time
Ok, thats pretty much what ive been doing, I have it seperated from the rest of my T's in a dark corner covered by a cloth. I check on it about 2 times a day and I just gently blow down its hole to see if I can see some movement to know if he/she is still alive.

If it is a hernia, how many molts does it usually take before the deformity is corrected?

Thanks.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but regardless if its got something wrong with it or not, checking on it by blowing on it has to be the most stressful thing you could do. None of mine appreciate it when I even accidentally breathe on them while I'm doing cage maintenance.

Just cover it up and leave it be for a week or so.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just cover it up and leave it be for a week or so.
I still have fed it since its molt about 8 days ago. Will the spider be ok if I leave it for another week without food? The spider is about 3.5 inches.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, T's can go quite a while without food if they start the fast with a decent sized abdomen. Just make sure there is water for her.