Possible dyskinetic syndrome symptoms

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I noticed some strange movements of my M. mesomelas (yeah, I know, if it could have been any of them but this one and my P. metallica I wouldn't be quite as annoyed, as horrible as that sounds!). It seems to be periodically pitching forwards and backwards in quick, jerky movements, almost like a swaying. Not like the up and down leg movements that cause the T to fly all over the place like I have seem in some of the dyskinetic syndrome videos. It seems more controlled, but still out of place and unusual. It has not been fed for about a week and a half and refused food when offered tonight. There are also no obvious signs of it being in pre-molt. Also, none of my other T's have exhibited this behavior. So I am led to believe it has nothing to do with a feeder problem or with a molt.

I did recently have some problems with the air quality in my apartment. To make a long, complicated landlord-tenant drama short, there is something in the air in my apartment that is causing me severe asthma problems. I moved into the apt two weeks ago and am now in the process of trying to move out (grrr!). The T's have been there during this time and were just moved to another location where I am staying today. I am thinking perhaps that whatever this problem is (whether dyskinetic sydrome or something else), it could be the result of something in the air in my apt (though this is the only T I'm having problems with so far) or because of the stress of the move today (a 2 hour drive in a car that was kept at decent temps).

Any thoughts on what this could be? For those who have dealt with dyskinetic syndrome, what did you do to treat it? Currently, this T is quarantined in an ICU where I plan to leave it for the next day or so undisturbed. Have you experienced the movements described above - the jerky swaying forward and backward - as signs of dyskinetic?

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have not dealt with that type of problem yet but i think that an air purifier might help but good luck and i hope everything goes well

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well i have not dealt with that type of problem yet but i think that an air purifier might help but good luck and i hope everything goes well
Nah, that won't be necessary. I'm not going back to that apartment at this point because it is causing me too many problems. Where we are living now is perfectly fine as far as air quality goes. I am just concerned about the effects of the previous place.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive dealt with a few spiders that display these symptons with varying results.I had 1 female G.rosea RCF who had the symptons and finally moulted fine but is still alittle wobbly 2months after but shes just started eating also.I got a female C.sheoidtei who was displaying them also so i put her into ICU and uped the temp to around 83F and loads more humidity and pushed waxworms into her fangs so she bit into it and carried on eating.She eventually moulted after about a month of this and is now perfect.As with wot i know about dyskinetic syndrome,i think youre doing as much as is possible so just fingers crossed and good luck.Being M.mesomelas it hasnt been exposed to too much heat has it?just wondered.

stu

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Being M.mesomelas it hasnt been exposed to too much heat has it?just wondered.
Nope, temp-wise it should be okay. I don't use artificial heat with any of my T's and keep them all on the lower side (65-70F), so it should be fine in that regard. I peeked in on it this morning in the ICU and it seemed to be running around just fine. Perhaps it was just a stress thing because of the move? Who knows. I'm keeping in there another day or two just in case.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ah great news,hope it makes a full recovery.lovely species

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah great news,hope it makes a full recovery.lovely species
Thanks! Yes, I have to say that this is one of my favorite species. I was lucky to get this one for a steal as a sling and it's done so well for me. It's a good 2"+ now and I've had no problems up til now. I have my fingers crossed that this is just a passing thing.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lets hope so,im yet to own 1 myself,i got a couple M.robustum but to me they dont quite compare to mesomelas.:D